• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the world's best Test bowler ever?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Neil Pickup said:
I disagree - statistical analysis can quite easily be used to "legitimise" bias, with careful selection of what tests and what weightings you used. Give me an hour or two and I could create you something "rigorous" that proved virtually anything - heck, giving "quality of wickets taken" a greater rating could quite easily whip Gilo up to the realm of all time greats.
Oh, I'm sure you're right! I won't pretend to be great with figures because I'm v demonstrably not ("C" grade Maths GCSE in 1992, mind you exams were harder back then :p) but even I can see his formula is flawed. It is the sort of subject where producing a flawless formula is pretty much impossible tho I'd guess.

Puts one in mind of Disraeli's famous axiom!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
gs_86 said:
Prove Nathan Hauritz is a better bowler than Shane Warne
Test Bowling Averages
Hauritz 20.60
Warne 25.03

Test Strike Rates
Hauritz 32.39
Warne 57.45

Record in India - The true Test for a spinner
Hauritz 5w @ 20.60, SR 32
Warne 34w @ 43.11, SR 81

Record after One Test - The only fair way to compare two disjoint careers
Warne 1w @ 150.00, SR 270

The evidence is staggering.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
Test Bowling Averages
Hauritz 20.60
Warne 25.03

Test Strike Rates
Hauritz 32.39
Warne 57.45

Warne 34w @ 43.11, SR 81

Shall we merge threads?
http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=13164&highlight=Hear+Lend

Slow Love™

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Test Bowling Averages
Hauritz 20.60
Warne 25.03

Test Strike Rates
Hauritz 32.39
Warne 57.45

Warne 34w @ 43.11, SR 81

Haha, don't forget to return gs_86's silver platter.

There's really too much to pick on in the article's analysis. Besides the equal weightage for home and away performances, there's also the dubious "team wins" stat (Brett Lee coming out second of all bowlers present and past here should have really given him pause), and the "consistency factor", which I'm not sure tells us a whole lot of value.

It's quite possible that the guy did embark on the whole thing on good faith though. It's not a terrible effort, all things considered.

gs_86

Cricket Spectator
luckyeddie said:
Foot, meet shotgun
Not really, I just thought of the most ridiculous comparison I could on the spot, proving his point entirely.

Also this fits in with my view that the article posted is an absolutely steaming pile of crap posted by someone who sounds like Murali's 4 year old love child.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Argh...thirdslip.com...the way they manipulate stats is ridiculous (even though I'm a huge fan of Murali), and the site is just plain unprofessional - several instances of players names being incorrect (Shaun Pollock being confused with Graeme Pollock??)...etc etc.

Beleg

International Regular
There are so many holes in the reasoning of this article that you can fit the Roman Colosseum into them and still have space left for a couple dozen football fields.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
OK, prove that Asoka De Silva was a more effective Test match bowler than Shane Warne.
Tougher than the Hauritz one, I'll give you that.

However: Warne's highest ever bowling average was 335.00 and Asoka never managed to breach the 300 mark, so it looks to me like Asoka had more potential at a young age, and was never shown enough faith to fulfil it...

a massive zebra

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Tougher than the Hauritz one, I'll give you that.

However: Warne's highest ever bowling average was 335.00 and Asoka never managed to breach the 300 mark, so it looks to me like Asoka had more potential at a young age, and was never shown enough faith to fulfil it...
Well, you did find some evidence to support this ludicrous statement, which is more than I can say for myself, but to be perfectly honest I think even you would admit that the very brief passage above is hardly 'rigorous proof' that De Silva was a more effective Test match bowler than Warne, as you claimed you would be able to find.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Asoka was known by 3 names.

And we ALL know that old saying "If you're known by 3 names, take 127 off your Test bowling average"

Therefore Asoka averages 2, while Warne averages, what ever Shane Warne averages. (37 or something)

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Jamee999 said:
Asoka was known by 3 names.

And we ALL know that old saying "If you're known by 3 names, take 127 off your Test bowling average"

Therefore Asoka averages 2, while Warne averages, what ever Shane Warne averages.
:D