• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

People have a right to ask a cricket question

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
I felt i needed to post this after reading a post by a lady asking who is the best cricketer between Warne And Murilitheran.

Some one must really ask themselves where this site is actually heading when such and innocent and legitimate question is blocked from answers because it might offend someone.
This question is not religious,Does not imply colour,or break any boundries in any form of a racist remark, or offend anyone.
Some posters may answer in a way that may not be suitable but isnt it upon the moderators to caution these people or remove the offending comment ,rather than sensor evryone from such innocent speach as asking a perfectly legitamate question.
Come on guys you have a good even great site here.
Please do not send some of us away because people cannot ask a legitamate question.
This is not germany in 1930 ,this is cricket and if people cannot ask a legitamate question ,why even have the site.????? :@

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Erm, because there's been god-knows how many threads on it, and just about all of them have ended in arguments?

Josh

International Regular
GoT_SpIn said:
Maybe an answer cannot be reached, and will only result in pointless argument
I reckon about 70% of the threads on this forum result in arguments anyway...

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
Erm, because there's been god-knows how many threads on it, and just about all of them have ended in arguments?
That maybe true Marc,i dont know but for all of the new people that have just started up in the last couple of months,we should not be disadvantaged because of some morons who go over the top.
The person who asked the question obviously did not know about previous threads ,as i didnt.
Sure all the old posters are sick of the debate or the bad posts but should they just not read them and let the new people who are interested in the question have a say?I hope that when the posts were originally posted (bad posts) the people were warned or banned. Just censoring a new poster is not the answer. It is a legitamate question whether you think you know the answer or not. So in effect the rules,which do not say anything about asking such a question ,should state that only certain questions will be allowed. I still say it is the moderators right to put a ban on a site if the posts are offensive or hurtfull in anyway or have a racist conetation or overtone. In this instance IMO it was a legitamate question,dont sensor peoples questions if they are reasonable or because you think you know where they may head. I was reading a post today posted today that said warne was better than sobers and that tendulkar has it all over warne etc,so where is the consistancy in it?
Im not saying that the sobers warne issue should have been sensored,but saying people who are new have a right to ask a question that is not offensive as we all have not been members for years and remember we are all new to this site at one stage. I just felt it was a bit poor to kill the question by saying its been done to death,well so has every other question just about asked on the site hasnt it? You must give people a chance,maybe it would not have went the way you are predictingbut if it had then the moderators should do what they are on the site to do.IMO.Ps im not trying to offend anyone here,i just feel strongly about peoples right to have a resonable question asked and answered,Tis all............ :thumbsup:

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
By the way Josh,you wouldnt know any of the Edwards boys out rossanna ,Macleod way would you?
What about the Shaws,are they still involved in the club,they used to be part of the footy and cricket scene out that way but dont know if they are still involved?

Josh

International Regular
jlo33692 said:
By the way Josh,you wouldnt know any of the Edwards boys out rossanna ,Macleod way would you?
What about the Shaws,are they still involved in the club,they used to be part of the footy and cricket scene out that way but dont know if they are still involved?
Don't know any Edwards', but the Shaws are very much still around.

Kane Shaw captains the Macleod Football Club A Grade and I played with him in thirds yesterday, he usually plays first grade but is returning from an ankle injury.

I'm actually a footy umpire in the DVFL so whenever I get the chance to umpire Macleod I always have a chat to Kane and the rest of the boys from the cricket club.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
I take it you're referring to this thread which was closed by Neil yesterday jlo33692.

A lot of what you say makes perfect sense. However, we've had well over a dozen threads on the Warne v Murali debate that have all been closed, and we're sick of the constant arguments and displeasure that come off the discussion.

Perhaps if the poster had started it off with something constructive and thoughtful it might have stayed open but it wasn't and based on past experiences the thread was closed.

I always like to hear people's view points on various issues surrounding the site because after all if there wasn't you guys there wouldn't be a Cricket Web, so good on you for raising it.

I'm more than happy for us all to have a discussion around this and it might even see a thread on this being allowed to be kept open as long as it stayed within the forum rules of course.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Ok Josh,that would be derecks young fellow would it?
Good sporting family that one huh?
Listen m8 how about young (well he was young when i knew him) bevan hall and his brother are they still doing the umpiring in DVFL?
Also m8 did Heidelberg end up winning the Grand final as i saw they were undefeated or just lost 1 game when i checked a few months back but never thoiught to see how they ended up,i think they took it last year as well,we have a nephew who playes for heildelberg north and another at(this may be wrong) Bandoori or bandoora anyway im sure youll know which team it is m8?

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
James said:
I take it you're referring to this thread which was closed by Neil yesterday jlo33692.

A lot of what you say makes perfect sense. However, we've had well over a dozen threads on the Warne v Murali debate that have all been closed, and we're sick of the constant arguments and displeasure that come off the discussion.

Perhaps if the poster had started it off with something constructive and thoughtful it might have stayed open but it wasn't and based on past experiences the thread was closed.

I always like to hear people's view points on various issues surrounding the site because after all if there wasn't you guys there wouldn't be a Cricket Web, so good on you for raising it.

I'm more than happy for us all to have a discussion around this and it might even see a thread on this being allowed to be kept open as long as it stayed within the forum rules of course.
Thanks James,as i said mate i dont want to cause any trouble but just think sometimes the new members are suffering for the sins of the older posters sometimes.
Good on you james i was hoping i wasnt going to cop a burst of abuse for suggesting it shouldnt have been sensored. I can fully understand it even being in the rules in some way but it is not in there so i just feel new people should be given a chance to ask what they feel is interesting to them,without someone stopping the post because they are sick of the responses,hopefully we dont get the bad posters but i dont reckon that is the thread posters fault if they do,also James i think these type of people will find something else to write bad posts about unfortunatly.
Anyway thanks for at least agreeing to have a talk for a fair hearing about it.
I will go now before the guns get out for me ,again hahahahahahaha

cheers m8

James

Cricket Web Owner
No problem at all, like I said good on you for raising it and it will be interesting to hear other people's view points.

If people feel we're doing something wrong, tell us so we can address it and fix it.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Thanks James, will do in future.
As for you josh,i hope in naming the guys who are umpires i havent blown your cover mate,hahaha
I maybe will PM you as maybe i am to close to the mark mate,Sorry if this is the case,accidental.If not ,well i dont know ,maybe i should give the initials ,small world though from here in WA to you in Melbourne Victoria huh,,,,LOl

Josh

International Regular
Not sure it matters too much.

Nah Hally's not down there any more unfortunately.

Heidelberg lost the grand final unfortunately, because they are my division one team lol. Oh well.

Yeh that's Dereck's son I believe, and you meant to say Bundoora lol.

What's your connection with Rosanna/Macleod anyway??

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
James said:
No problem at all, like I said good on you for raising it and it will be interesting to hear other people's view points.

If people feel we're doing something wrong, tell us so we can address it and fix it.
The fact that a lot has already been spoken on the topic and a lot of negativity has emerged, I think its the right call.

Maybe after the two players retire, it can be discussed as to who was the better spinner. But a lot of drastically different views will always remain on the topic.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Perhaps this thread will be different.
Perhaps now that Cricket Web has finally reached 4 years old, the relative maturity of the site will allow an intelligent and constructive debate on the subject to take place - one without the usual cliches that tend to be a breath away when either spinner is mentioned.
After all, we have had a huge influx of new members recently - perhaps they will shame us into behaving.

Slow Love™

International Captain
jlo33692 said:
I felt i needed to post this after reading a post by a lady asking who is the best cricketer between Warne And Murilitheran.

Some one must really ask themselves where this site is actually heading when such and innocent and legitimate question is blocked from answers because it might offend someone.
This question is not religious,Does not imply colour,or break any boundries in any form of a racist remark, or offend anyone.
Some posters may answer in a way that may not be suitable but isnt it upon the moderators to caution these people or remove the offending comment ,rather than sensor evryone from such innocent speach as asking a perfectly legitamate question.
Please do not send some of us away because people cannot ask a legitamate question.
This is not germany in 1930 ,this is cricket and if people cannot ask a legitamate question ,why even have the site.????? :@
Haha, this reminds me of John Safran after being ******ed away from parliament house: "I'm not one for hyperbole, but it's akin to Nazi Germany!!!"

In addition to what others have said about the Murali vs Warne threads... I don't know who the lady is you're referring to - it seems the thread you're talking about was started by raymondo, whose posts seem generally fairly trollish. I suspect he knew exactly what he was doing in starting that thread too.

(I could be wrong, but I very much doubt it.)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
jlo33692 said:

I think jlo3392 has raised a very valid point and all of us, more so those who have been here for some time and count themselves as 'seniors' need to look at it anew.

So whats the issue
We tend to block/close threads that are on topics which have a
a) been discusssed many times before
b) have led to arguments

So lets tlook at it dispassionately.

Repititive threads

Is it surprising that the most common and popular of cricket controversies/debates will be discussed ad nauseam and ad infinitum. Hasen't the cricket world been discussing the best batsman, best bowler, best keeper, best team etc for zillions of years.
Has the debate been settled ? No
Has the argument lost its passion? No
Can any of us say with honesty we havent participated in these debates more than just once ? No

So why are we surprised ?

Yes, those of us who have discussed this threadbare here may tend to get irritated by the repitition but is the forum just for those who have been here long enough to have discussed every major ongoing cricketing controversy ?

What about the hundreds who keep joining us, want to join us and wil join us in the future. Its they who will inherit this site and we owe something to them.

Whats the solution to this ? I am not technically competent to have the best ideas but something which shows the major repititive subject threads (like the stickies but in a different format) could be managed so as the threads dont multiply on the same subject. In addition, those who want to post/discuss on an old topic will get the benefit of the past debates (and also the futility of it I suppose).

The argumentative aspect

No one can logically argue that arguments/debates/discussions are to be avoided on such a forum. That will be the death of this format. We simply need to differentiate between arguments and bad language/bad attitudes towards fellow posters etc.

There are many worthies on CW who debate cricketing and non-cricketing subjects without ever raising heckles of those they are arguing with and those "worthies" who cant wish a good day to anyone without making a disagreeable remark. This is what causes an erosion in the quality of the debate and over time takes away from the standard of the site as well as pushes the better members away from it.

This needs to be noticed early, handled firmly and effectively.*** No one denies that this is can be subjective excercise but that part of it has to be accepted. The moderates do have a thankless job to do. We are grateful to them for giving their time for this but we still (samelessly I suppose) expect high standards of objectivity from them. But thats how it should be for in so doing, we are doing nothing except pushing for continuous improvement in the high standards James and his team have made us accustomed to.

So, in conclusion, lets find a solution which does not curb a discussion because some of us , even if in a majority have been through it before
or
because some 'worthies' have chosen these subjects to display there, more vigorously, penchant for the unpleasant.

In India we havent stopped shopping for Diwali and deny ourselves the joy we deserve because terrorists struck and I dont think we should deny the joy of cricketing debate to anyone because there are those who are here for a fight irrespective of the subject.

Avoidance is not the best way to tackle extremists of any variety.

(I am not here suggesting that the discussion should be sterile, devoid of leg pulling, humour, wit, repartee etc. far from it. But then why am I saying it ? I think all those who matter will understand what I am saying :) )

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I agree SJS.

CW will gain more and more new members, and maybe they are interested in discussing Murali v Warne? I don't think threads like that should be closed, and I don't think discussion should be banned. Merge the threads if need be, and moderate the threads (like every thread is moderated) if abuse and swearing emerges. If not, whether they are arguments or not, let them be.

I don't think new members should be restricted from discussing topics because a few senior members are sick and tired of that topic. Soon Lara v Tendulkar will be blocked, as will WI 80s v Aus 2000+ etc. We'll be restricted to simply tour threads.