Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: People have a right to ask a cricket question

  1. #1
    Registered User jlo33692's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Across the bridge
    Posts
    367

    People have a right to ask a cricket question

    I felt i needed to post this after reading a post by a lady asking who is the best cricketer between Warne And Murilitheran.

    Some one must really ask themselves where this site is actually heading when such and innocent and legitimate question is blocked from answers because it might offend someone.
    This question is not religious,Does not imply colour,or break any boundries in any form of a racist remark, or offend anyone.
    Some posters may answer in a way that may not be suitable but isnt it upon the moderators to caution these people or remove the offending comment ,rather than sensor evryone from such innocent speach as asking a perfectly legitamate question.
    Come on guys you have a good even great site here.
    Please do not send some of us away because people cannot ask a legitamate question.
    This is not germany in 1930 ,this is cricket and if people cannot ask a legitamate question ,why even have the site.?????

  2. #2
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,896
    Erm, because there's been god-knows how many threads on it, and just about all of them have ended in arguments?

  3. #3
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    13,026
    Maybe an answer cannot be reached, and will only result in pointless argument
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  4. #4
    International Regular Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by GoT_SpIn
    Maybe an answer cannot be reached, and will only result in pointless argument
    I reckon about 70% of the threads on this forum result in arguments anyway...


  5. #5
    Registered User jlo33692's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Across the bridge
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Erm, because there's been god-knows how many threads on it, and just about all of them have ended in arguments?
    That maybe true Marc,i dont know but for all of the new people that have just started up in the last couple of months,we should not be disadvantaged because of some morons who go over the top.
    The person who asked the question obviously did not know about previous threads ,as i didnt.
    Sure all the old posters are sick of the debate or the bad posts but should they just not read them and let the new people who are interested in the question have a say?I hope that when the posts were originally posted (bad posts) the people were warned or banned. Just censoring a new poster is not the answer. It is a legitamate question whether you think you know the answer or not. So in effect the rules,which do not say anything about asking such a question ,should state that only certain questions will be allowed. I still say it is the moderators right to put a ban on a site if the posts are offensive or hurtfull in anyway or have a racist conetation or overtone. In this instance IMO it was a legitamate question,dont sensor peoples questions if they are reasonable or because you think you know where they may head. I was reading a post today posted today that said warne was better than sobers and that tendulkar has it all over warne etc,so where is the consistancy in it?
    Im not saying that the sobers warne issue should have been sensored,but saying people who are new have a right to ask a question that is not offensive as we all have not been members for years and remember we are all new to this site at one stage. I just felt it was a bit poor to kill the question by saying its been done to death,well so has every other question just about asked on the site hasnt it? You must give people a chance,maybe it would not have went the way you are predictingbut if it had then the moderators should do what they are on the site to do.IMO.Ps im not trying to offend anyone here,i just feel strongly about peoples right to have a resonable question asked and answered,Tis all............

  6. #6
    Registered User jlo33692's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Across the bridge
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    I reckon about 70% of the threads on this forum result in arguments anyway...
    Excactly what im saying josh,good post m8

  7. #7
    Registered User jlo33692's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Across the bridge
    Posts
    367
    By the way Josh,you wouldnt know any of the Edwards boys out rossanna ,Macleod way would you?
    What about the Shaws,are they still involved in the club,they used to be part of the footy and cricket scene out that way but dont know if they are still involved?

  8. #8
    International Regular Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by jlo33692
    By the way Josh,you wouldnt know any of the Edwards boys out rossanna ,Macleod way would you?
    What about the Shaws,are they still involved in the club,they used to be part of the footy and cricket scene out that way but dont know if they are still involved?
    Don't know any Edwards', but the Shaws are very much still around.

    Kane Shaw captains the Macleod Football Club A Grade and I played with him in thirds yesterday, he usually plays first grade but is returning from an ankle injury.

    I'm actually a footy umpire in the DVFL so whenever I get the chance to umpire Macleod I always have a chat to Kane and the rest of the boys from the cricket club.
    Last edited by Josh; 29-10-2005 at 09:44 PM.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    24,144
    I take it you're referring to this thread which was closed by Neil yesterday jlo33692.

    A lot of what you say makes perfect sense. However, we've had well over a dozen threads on the Warne v Murali debate that have all been closed, and we're sick of the constant arguments and displeasure that come off the discussion.

    Perhaps if the poster had started it off with something constructive and thoughtful it might have stayed open but it wasn't and based on past experiences the thread was closed.

    I always like to hear people's view points on various issues surrounding the site because after all if there wasn't you guys there wouldn't be a Cricket Web, so good on you for raising it.

    I'm more than happy for us all to have a discussion around this and it might even see a thread on this being allowed to be kept open as long as it stayed within the forum rules of course.

  10. #10
    Registered User jlo33692's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Across the bridge
    Posts
    367
    Ok Josh,that would be derecks young fellow would it?
    Good sporting family that one huh?
    Listen m8 how about young (well he was young when i knew him) bevan hall and his brother are they still doing the umpiring in DVFL?
    Also m8 did Heidelberg end up winning the Grand final as i saw they were undefeated or just lost 1 game when i checked a few months back but never thoiught to see how they ended up,i think they took it last year as well,we have a nephew who playes for heildelberg north and another at(this may be wrong) Bandoori or bandoora anyway im sure youll know which team it is m8?

  11. #11
    Registered User jlo33692's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Across the bridge
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    I take it you're referring to this thread which was closed by Neil yesterday jlo33692.

    A lot of what you say makes perfect sense. However, we've had well over a dozen threads on the Warne v Murali debate that have all been closed, and we're sick of the constant arguments and displeasure that come off the discussion.

    Perhaps if the poster had started it off with something constructive and thoughtful it might have stayed open but it wasn't and based on past experiences the thread was closed.

    I always like to hear people's view points on various issues surrounding the site because after all if there wasn't you guys there wouldn't be a Cricket Web, so good on you for raising it.

    I'm more than happy for us all to have a discussion around this and it might even see a thread on this being allowed to be kept open as long as it stayed within the forum rules of course.
    Thanks James,as i said mate i dont want to cause any trouble but just think sometimes the new members are suffering for the sins of the older posters sometimes.
    Good on you james i was hoping i wasnt going to cop a burst of abuse for suggesting it shouldnt have been sensored. I can fully understand it even being in the rules in some way but it is not in there so i just feel new people should be given a chance to ask what they feel is interesting to them,without someone stopping the post because they are sick of the responses,hopefully we dont get the bad posters but i dont reckon that is the thread posters fault if they do,also James i think these type of people will find something else to write bad posts about unfortunatly.
    Anyway thanks for at least agreeing to have a talk for a fair hearing about it.
    I will go now before the guns get out for me ,again hahahahahahaha

    cheers m8

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    24,144
    No problem at all, like I said good on you for raising it and it will be interesting to hear other people's view points.

    If people feel we're doing something wrong, tell us so we can address it and fix it.

  13. #13
    Registered User jlo33692's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Across the bridge
    Posts
    367
    Thanks James, will do in future.
    As for you josh,i hope in naming the guys who are umpires i havent blown your cover mate,hahaha
    I maybe will PM you as maybe i am to close to the mark mate,Sorry if this is the case,accidental.If not ,well i dont know ,maybe i should give the initials ,small world though from here in WA to you in Melbourne Victoria huh,,,,LOl

  14. #14
    International Regular Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,903
    Not sure it matters too much.

    Nah Hally's not down there any more unfortunately.

    Heidelberg lost the grand final unfortunately, because they are my division one team lol. Oh well.

    Yeh that's Dereck's son I believe, and you meant to say Bundoora lol.

    What's your connection with Rosanna/Macleod anyway??

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirzapur, India
    Posts
    21,226
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    No problem at all, like I said good on you for raising it and it will be interesting to hear other people's view points.

    If people feel we're doing something wrong, tell us so we can address it and fix it.
    The fact that a lot has already been spoken on the topic and a lot of negativity has emerged, I think its the right call.

    Maybe after the two players retire, it can be discussed as to who was the better spinner. But a lot of drastically different views will always remain on the topic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Interesting question on the laws of cricket
    By greg in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-08-2005, 04:30 PM
  2. Cricket v/s Baseball
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 26-07-2005, 05:56 PM
  3. Question about Cricket 2005 EA Sports
    By rajyadav16 in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-07-2005, 03:26 AM
  4. Bad Points about Cricket games out there
    By nitehawk in forum General
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21-04-2005, 02:22 AM
  5. Other EA sports title vs cricket games.
    By veeru300 in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-12-2004, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •