• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Legacies

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
One of my favorite cricketers was Manny (Emmanuel) Martindale, one of the pioneer West Indies fast bowlers. His test partnerships with Learie Constantine in the 1930s were legendary. I have dedicated a Web page to him at http://jp29.org/adcmm.htm

I am pleased to report the accomplishments of one of his grand-daughters, Leah Martindale:

Leah Martindale, became a renowned International competitive swimmer representing her country, Barbados, in the 1996 and 2000 Olympics, finishing fifth in the women's 50-yard freestyle at the 1996 Games in Atlanta. She was a member of the Barbados National Swimming team from 1994-2002 and competed in four World Championships, three Commonwealth Games, two Pan American Games and one Pan Pacific Games.

Leah was named the Barbados Female Sportsperson of the Year three times from 1995-97 and the Caribbean Sports Personality of the Year in 1997.

She won a scholarship to the University of Florida where she became a stand-out member of the nationally ranked women's swimming team from 1998-2002 being named first co-captain, then captain, of the Southeastern Conference title winning squad. Leah was named All-American twelve times and was listed on the SEC Scholar-Athlete Honor Roll four times. She was among the top swimmers in the world in recent years and won several leadership awards while serving as captain of one of the top collegiate swimming teams.

Leah Martindale earned her bachelor's degree in psychology in 2002 and her master's degree in sports psychology in 2005 from the University of Florida and is now embarking on a career as a Collegiate swimming coach.

I regularly correspond with Leah, thus maintaining my long time friendship with the Martindale family.

James