• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick Your Best All time ODI Team

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
WTF give ONE good reason why Flower would be in that side ahead of Gilchrist..
because flower was more suited to the role i was looking for. ie someone who could come in and give the middle order some stability and work the singles and 2s.

Eclipse said:
Lara should not be opening
and is there a reason behind it?had you watched lara opening in the early 90s, id doubt youd have any problems with that.

Eclipse said:
Abdul Razzaq would be usefull but with a bowling line up like that you may as well include another batsman and a better one..
so go on then, how many players have a better batting record at 6(who played a fair few games in that position) than abdul razzaq? there is no point in picking players to bat out of position to bat at 6, simply because they have an overall better record.

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
because flower was more suited to the role i was looking for. ie someone who could come in and give the middle order some stability and work the singles and 2s.
Gilly can do that too and better in ODI cricket, he is one of the best at finding the gaps in world cricket but people don't always realise that.. plus we all know he can hit as well..
He's one of the best ODI batsman ever plus a keeper and he can't make your side? He has an EXELLENT case as a batsman alone.

and is there a reason behind it?had you watched lara opening in the early 90s, id doubt youd have any problems with that.
Well then why isn't he batting there now? Players change.

so go on then, how many players have a better batting record at 6(who played a fair few games in that position) than abdul razzaq? there is no point in picking players to bat out of position to bat at 6, simply because they have an overall better record.
Why not? I would rather bat a class player there than razzaq, yes he does well but others could do way better, the reason guys like Tendulkar, Ponting etc.. bat up the order is because they are good players... chuck them at six they will still do better than razzaq but obviously they won't get that chance

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
Gilly can do that too and better in ODI cricket, he is one of the best at finding the gaps in world cricket but people don't always realise that.. plus we all know he can hit as well..
He's one of the best ODI batsman ever plus a keeper and he can't make your side? He has a case as a batsman alone.
and theres so much evidence that gilchrist can bat down the order given that hes done that so many times in his international career?
and gilchrist is not 'one of the best ODI batsmen ever', hes just good, and theres no way im going to have people bat out of position simply to get him into the side. andy flower might not be as good a batsman as gilchrist but hes certainly not considerably worse and he would provides the better balance.

Eclipse said:
Well then why isn't he batting there now? Players change.
is he really succeeding now? his record has been very ordinary in ODIs for a while now, and its safe to say that hes been living of the success he had in ODIs batting at positions 1,2 and 3 rather than batting brilliantly at 4.

Eclipse said:
Why not? I would rather bat a class player there than razzaq, yes he does well but others could do way better, the reason guys like Tendulkar, Ponting etc.. bat up the order is because they are good players... chuck them at six they will still do better than razzaq but obviously they won't get that chance
what tripe, tendulkar, ponting and whoever all need to get themselves set before they can play their strokes, and as a result if they came in at the death they would struggle to be anywhere near as effective as razzaq. and if you honestly think that razzaq isnt a class player at 6 or 7 then you really are deluding yourself.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
agreed CC plus his inclusion of Flower of Gilchirst is bemusing also...
Well Gilchrist isn't a middle order player, Flower is.

If he can't find a spot for Gilchrist opening, it's perfectly justified to not pick him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
He's one of the best ODI batsman ever plus a keeper and he can't make your side? He has an EXELLENT case as a batsman alone.
Yes, that average of 36.43 positively demands selection.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Yes, that average of 36.43 positively demands selection.
closer to 40 as an opener..

and no one has ever put together that kind of average and strike rate at the top of the order...

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
averages and stats dont tell the whole story but still....

Lara averages 47.08 as an opener as compared to his career average of 41.41 :)

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
foe said:
averages and stats dont tell the whole story but still....

Lara averages 47.08 as an opener as compared to his career average of 41.41 :)
Do you think he would be better suited to the middle order anyway? He likes to attack as soon as he gets in and if he faces a new ball against high quality bowlers he could get out early and waste his innings.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:

and no one has ever put together that kind of average and strike rate at the top of the order...
The point is that it is justifiable selecting Flower over Gilchrist in the middle order. At any rate, Gilchrist averages 37 opening, not 40...and his strike rate isn't that much greater than several other opening batsmen. He's comparable to Trescothick at the top of the order...and others have superior records opening (including SR) - Tendulkar averages 49 opening with a SR of about 86-90..Tresco about 37 with a SR of 85, as mentioned before Lara averages 47 opening.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Dasa said:
The point is that it is justifiable selecting Flower over Gilchrist in the middle order. At any rate, Gilchrist averages 37 opening, not 40...and his strike rate isn't that much greater than several other opening batsmen. He's comparable to Trescothick at the top of the order...and others have superior records opening (including SR) - Tendulkar averages 49 opening with a SR of about 86-90..Tresco about 37 with a SR of 85, as mentioned before Lara averages 47 opening.

His strike rate is better than anyone else who is a geniune batsman, not only that but its increasing every year, 3 years ago it was 88 now it's 96 i wouldn't be supprised if it's more or less 100 when he finnishes his career. combine that with average that is also climbing slowly and he's going to have a might record.

There is a big diference between that and one of about 85.. plus as I said he strikes at a rate better than 100 in basicly every series he plays now so it's still going up.

Jarryd_S

Cricket Spectator
Here's the one I'd like to watch the most, not nessecarily the best:

A Gilchrist
M Waugh
R Ponting
V Richards
B Lara
I Harvey
S Warne
A Donald
G McGrath
C Walsh

Awesome batting line up stroke wise, all 4 bowlers are master sledgers and would no doubt have a go at their opponents. And Harveys just The Freak. Enough said.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jono said:
But that wasn't the case. Well not in the ODIs anyway.

The whole argument that players batting out of position (Eg. Flintoff batting so low) was part of a reason for the Super Series failures was incorrect, because for 2/3 games Flintoff was in very early on due to quick wickets.

The only example where a player playing out of position was detrimental to the World XI was Flintoff opening the bowling and Kallis coming in first change. Even then, Flintoff did a pretty good job.

Australia won because the World Xi were, for the most part, low on form and match practice, and Australia were much hungrier for the win considering the Ashes loss.

EDIT: After reading both of Hazza's posts, he basically said what I just said. :p
Well, I certainly wasn't very fond of seeing Lara at 5 and Dravid at 6 when both men hardly bat lower than 4 for their sides, generally.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hit4Six said:
!THE ULTIMATE ONE DAY SIDE!

1) Simon Katich
2) Stephen Fleming (C)
3) Shoaib Malik
4) Scott Styris
5) Paul Collingwood
6) Andrew Symonds
7) Mark Boucher (wk)
8) Ian Bradshaw
9) Brad Hogg
10) Andre Nel
11) Shabbir Ahmed
You forgot Ronnie Irani :-O

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
and when you look at his side and realise that he hasnt picked bevan, i doubt anyone can take it seriously.
my side would be something in the following order
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Viv Richards
Michael Bevan
Andrew Flower
Abdul Razzaq/Jonty Rhodes
Lance Klusener
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Mutthiah Muralitharan
Glenn Mcgrath

i think whats crucial about this side is that almost everyone is batting in their best positions.
The level to which you overrate Razzaq is amazing. He's a good player, and I rate his batting highly, but what the hell do you need him for when Klusener is there? Razzaq's bowling does not demand a spot in an ALL TIME ODI XI. He was very handy in his prime (pretty poor now-a-days), but I just think there are so many better options throughout the history of ODI cricket than himself.

None the less, its your opinion.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
Well, I certainly wasn't very fond of seeing Lara at 5 and Dravid at 6 when both men hardly bat lower than 4 for their sides, generally.
Dravid has batted most ODIs at 5 hasn't he?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Well Gilchrist isn't a middle order player, Flower is.

If he can't find a spot for Gilchrist opening, it's perfectly justified to not pick him.
his whole team selection is bemusing, its weird that he has Lara opening regardless of the fact that he averagees better their than any position he has batted in ODI cricket, no one knows if he could have maintained that throughout his career, Gilchrist has eben though he doesn't have an 40+ average he is definately on eof the best ODI openers ever...

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My greatest ODI team.......

Gilchrist (wk)
Anwar
Tendulkar
Richards
Lara
Bevan
Imran (c)
Hadlee
Wasim
Garner
Murali

SS Cairns or Flintoff

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Oh yes, a whole 0.86 runs - massive that!

Eclipse said:
No, but players have averaged more and played in times when the game wasn't so batting skewed...