• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite cricketing literature

Beleg

International Regular
Three short stories written by P. G. Wodehouse related to cricket: The Lost Bowlers, Against The Clock, Between Innings.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Chubb said:
Gideon Haigh is the best though. Mystery Spinner is brilliant, Many A Slip is hilarious.

It actually made me like Australian cricketers... that's quite something. I wish he'd write another book about South Yarra CC.
OMG Chubb dude are you serious? I am exactly the same :-O I hope to meet him one day, I somehow met the best man from his wedding (he's my doctor).
And
archie mac said:
If you liked "Many a Slip" you may like 'Any Old Eleven' by Jim Young with a forward by Gideon Haigh :)
I've read that one too Archie :P
For those of you who don't know 'The Vincibles' ('Many A Slip') it is the perfect snapshot of Aussie cricketing life.

archie mac

International Coach
chooka_nick said:
OMG Chubb dude are you serious? I am exactly the same :-O I hope to meet him one day, I somehow met the best man from his wedding (he's my doctor).
I have met him, he is very friendly and down to earth. He signed all of my books and put in a funny little blurb in each one.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
archie mac said:
I have met him, he is very friendly and down to earth. He signed all of my books and put in a funny little blurb in each one.
Yeah, his best man is a bit of a legend. I'd like to meet him one day, it's great that you have!

Chubb

International Regular
I am a published cricket writer... on the letters page of The Wisden Cricketer. It was a year and a half ago. Tim de Lisle had written an article about the Ten Greatest Players of Spin in the Modern Era. He had suggested that no-one had ever played so well for such a hopeless team than Brian Lara did for West Indies on hs famous Sri Lanka tour. I wrote in saying I thought that Andy Flower had played just as well for the useless Zimbabweans. Got published for some reason. I also applied for the Cricket Writer's job on the Honiton Midweek Herald in 2004. Didn't get it. Too young, vacancy filled from within.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
chooka_nick said:
And
I've read that one too Archie :P
For those of you who don't know 'The Vincibles' ('Many A Slip') it is the perfect snapshot of Aussie cricketing life.
Do they play your club in Melbourne? There are so many funny stories and incidents in that book, too many to choose from.

Last edited:

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Chubb said:
Do they play your club in Melbourne? There are so many funny stories and incidents in that book, too many to choose from.
Sadly, no. But I've driven past the oval, and it really is that good.
PS the final chapter takes the cake, or possibly the bit with the book shop assistant and the dictionaries

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Tom Halsey said:
Does anyone know any books dedicated solely to the art of legspin bowling?
Yes, I've borrowed one out recently... I'll try to find the name. 'Art of Wrist-Spin bowling', I think.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
Does anyone know any books dedicated solely to the art of legspin bowling?
Pickup's writing one.

It's called "Over the Net". It was originally going to be about tennis - then he picked a cricket ball up.

open365

International Vice-Captain
sledger said:
anyone read ed smith's book ? or the one by simon hughes ? think it was called a hard lot of yakka or something..
Ed Smith- on and of the field and Simon Hughes- a lot of hard Yakka.

both great books

Chubb

International Regular
Trhis is my favourite cricket article.

"John Reid spent weekdays selling fuel to farmers, weekends batting in the local park and holidays playing for New Zealand. Des Wilson celebrates a remarkable allrounder

Oamaru, South Island of New Zealand is base camp for a farming community. Fifty years back it had no pubs; the sale of alcohol was prohibited. You "dined out" at the local pie cart. There was an "opera house", a milk bar and a weekly dance. There were four cricket clubs, none of them able to guarantee 11 players every Saturday afternoon. And there was John Reid, who, had he played for one of the Ashes countries, would now be a cricket legend.

After Shell appointed Reid its local manager the New Zealand captain could have chosen to drive to the nearest city to play more appropriately competitive cricket. Instead he joined the weakest of the Oamaru clubs. He practised on an uneven concrete wicket at the local park and on Saturdays faced players unable to challenge the power of his batting or the pace of his bowling.

To appreciate Reid's achievement you have to imagine Ian Botham with no county to play for, only the village team on a Saturday; Botham unpaid and with no commercial contracts, with no proper practice wickets and minimal first-class cricket, much of that mediocre; Botham combining the captaincy of his country with running a local Shell depot and, finally, having no world-class team-mates to share the burden of his country's reputation.

For years Reid alone stood between New Zealand and humiliation. Neville Cardus called him "a club cricketer in excelsis" and that is what he was: a club cricketer who from time to time slipped away to do what club cricketers dream of.

His greatness is not fully reflected by the statistics, impressive as they are. He averaged over 40 in 246 first-class games, most of them for the national side, and took 466 wickets at 22.60; he also played 58 Tests, averaging 33 and taking 85 wickets. What those figures conceal is how many momentous performances were produced in desperate circumstances or when Reid was virtually without support. In 1951, for instance, he scored a century for Wellington while the remaining 10 players contributed 39.

Like Botham (and Keith Miller), Reid habitually scored runs when they were most needed and took wickets or a blinding catch at just the right time. He was that kind of cricketer - an aggressive allrounder who made things happen. The best of all New Zealand cricket writers, RT Brittenden, wrote that Reid was "never more dangerous than when his back was to the wall ... he breathed life into a game by his very presence".

Shortly after Reid came to Oamaru I was one of a handful who gathered on a Saturday morning to bowl at him so that he could prepare for New Zealand's 1955-56 tour of India and Pakistan. As he politely and sensitively patted back this 14-year-old's innocuous slow medium-pacers he must have wondered how on earth this could be described as "preparing". Yet in the first match of that tour, in Karachi, coming from the chill of a South Island winter to steamy heat, he took for 7 for 28 and scored 150 not out. It was a difficult tour, yet in first-class games Reid hit 1,032 runs, averaging more than 50, and took 39 wickets.

The following season, while still in Oamaru, he led New Zealand to their first Test victory - over West Indies at Auckland. That ended 26 winless and painful years, in which they played 44 Tests. What a moment for Kiwi cricket.

Reid performed well on his first two England tours. He was 20 when chosen to tour as reserve wicketkeeper in 1949, but he scored nearly 1,500 runs and forced his way into the Test team, where he thrived. He scored another 1,500 on the 1958 tour. But Reid's best performances were reserved for South Africa, in 1961-62, when he led his side to two Test wins, hit seven tour centuries in nine innings and scored more Test runs than any two of his colleagues.

Sprinkled throughout that time there were some memorable Plunket Shield moments. At a time when officials elsewhere in the world were pushing for "brighter cricket" Reid was a one-man sunbeam, with the best moment of all a stunning 296 for Wellington in 1962-63 - with 15 sixes, a world record until 1995.

For 10 years he carried the weight of leading a sub-standard Test team. When he eventually retired he had appeared in 58 of New Zealand's 86 Tests and led them in 36. His acceptance without complaint of the burdens thrust upon him, his modesty, his courage and his skill built the foundations that Hadlee, Crowe, Turner and others were later to build on.

Now in his 70s, having been for a while a respected international referee, Reid lives quietly on the North Island. Does he ever wonder what he could have achieved at a different time or in a different place? The answer must be much more. But thank God for New Zealand cricket that John Reid was a New Zealander.

One last memory of Reid: as he walked without celebrity down the main street of Oamaru, a 14-year-old approached him with a piece of paper containing his "selection" for the New Zealand team for an upcoming Test. Reid solemnly studied it and made one or two comments, before assuring the boy his suggestions would be fully considered by him and the other selectors. I have never forgotten the thrill of that moment. And I will never forget John Reid."