• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice for a cricket watching newbie

Poppet

Cricket Spectator
Hi

This forum is jam packed with useful advice & info. So, I'm looking for some advice - I would like to watch England v Pakistan at The Oval in 2006. If I'm lucky enough to get tickets which day should I choose? The last day - it's more exciting, the first day, the fourth day - help me.

Thank you

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Personally I'd go on the first day, the players are fresh and the pitch is at its best, you should see some quality cricket.

open365

International Vice-Captain
the 3rd day.

you'll get a full days action barring weather interferance and the game is set up for a result.

you could compare it to a book;

day 1-the intro
day 2-the plot lines progress
day 3-the begining of the end
day 4-the end
day 5-the end

Last edited:

open365

^with the pace england are playing cricket theese days,i don't see any tests lasting 5 days

Last edited:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Saturday is best, the cricket is sorting itself out result-wise and you get to see all the funny costumes people are wearing.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
open365 said:
the 3rd day.

you'll get a full days action barring weather interferance and the game is set up for a result.

you could compare it to a book;

day 1-the intro
day 2-the plot lines progress
day 3-the begining of the end
day 4-the end
day 5-the end

Test cricket is really a superb novel unfolding in front of our eyes. :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The first day will likely have the least wickets considering the pitch is new. Also as a lot of time is left, the batsmen may take it slow though these days the runs keep flowing. So its the day you would not like to go on if you have just one day to chose.

The second day and third day will see the story unfold much more. If you want to see a bit more of spinners, third day is the better option. If you want to see more of pacers, 2nd day would be better.

Day 5 is a day which a test match may not even go to. And all matches may not always have an exciting finish.

Day 4 is a day I would personally prefer to go as it would be a day with action, likely conclusion or near conclusion and tougher batting conditions as pitch has worsened.

But for you I would recommend Day 2 or Day 3.

Poppet

Cricket Spectator
The votes have been counted and verified

And then he was a she and she says

I'll be going on the 3rd day then. It was the funny outfits that did it. Can't wait.

Muchos gracias, sweet as, many thanks, dhan-ya-vaad

xx

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, never get a ticket for the last day, cause most Tests these days are over in at max 4 days. I'm gonna agree with everyone and say go for the 3rd day, or maybe the 2nd.

PY

International Coach
Linda said:
Er, why dont you go to all days?
Haven't usually got $500+ dollars lying around the place usually. :p

Welcome to the forums Poppet, excuse the presumption of your gender by . We need more women playing and watching cricket and also contributing around here. :)

PY

International Coach
andyc said:
Yeah, never get a ticket for the last day, cause most Tests these days are over in at max 4 days. I'm gonna agree with everyone and say go for the 3rd day, or maybe the 2nd.
For England, I'd go second day purely because it's likely that you'll definitely get to see both sides in action with the new/new-ish ball and also more likely to see Freddie bat. :p

Linda

PY said:
Haven't usually got $500+ dollars lying around the place usually. :p

Welcome to the forums Poppet, excuse the presumption of your gender by . We need more women playing and watching cricket and also contributing around here. :)
Why do they charge so much? I thought crowds were bad enough?! (Ashes the exception, obviously...)