• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Magical moments

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

:D

And the Aussie tie against South Africa in the '99 World Cup, you couldn't have written a better ending.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
I havent said any thing.

My view has not changed regardless of this game.
Well the way you have been quoting people (who think SRT is past his prime), it seems as if SRT is batting like he used to between 1996-2003. Well IMO he is past his prime and one game doesn't prove much. I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt he will. :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Well the way you have been quoting people (who think SRT is past his prime), it seems as if SRT is batting like he used to between 1996-2003. Well IMO he is past his prime and one game doesn't prove much. I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt he will. :D
I dont know where that came from to be honest.

Deja doesnt have a problem with me having abit of fun with him. Can we not have some fun on the forum?

I am not asking any one to change his belief that Tendulkar is past his best.

I have the view he is not past his best and it is regardless of the one game and I dont think you should have a problem with that either.

Cheers.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
What comes to mind is KP hitting Warne for 6 and a 4 in the same over near the end - it was when the Aussies realised they'd lost the Aussies.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
So many golden memories -

Five that still send shivers down my spine:

1. Graeme Pollock scoring an utterly wonderful 206* against Kent in 1965 - the first first-class match I ever had the honour of witnessing (Colin Bland gave a fielding masterclass at the same game).
2. "You guys are history" - Devon Malcolm suddenly producing the greatest 'out of the blue' spell of hostile fast bowling I have ever seen.
3. Malcolm Nash's immortal over to King Gary at Swansea.
4. Matthew Hoggard's immaculate cover drive off Brett Lee's fast, wide, 'in-the-slot' full toss to take England to the brink of victory at Trent Bridge. He might play a better stroke one day, but he'll never play a more important one.
5. A wide-eyed, almost maniacal Dominic Cork slogging England to victory in the 100th test match to be played at Lord's. The six he smashed off Franklyn Rose was simply unreal.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
5. A wide-eyed, almost maniacal Dominic Cork slogging England to victory in the 100th test match to be played at Lord's. The six he smashed off Franklyn Rose was simply unreal.
Many people forget that innings. 1-0 down and would've been 2-0 and the series gone IIRC, if not for Super Dom. He had some dodgy performances during his England career, but also some great ones, and he never ever stopped trying.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slow Love™ said:
The semi final between Australia and the West Indies at Mohali in WC '96.

The West Indians had been cruising to victory, forty-odd runs behind with 8 wickets and around 7 overs in hand. Then, some magic from Warne, Fleming and McGrath saw to it that they had crumbled to 9 down with 5 runs to get, and Richie Richardson stranded at the wrong end.

Courtney Walsh waited nervously as Damien Fleming approached, awkwardly hanging his bat in front of the stumps like he was holding a stinky fish.

His lips were moving - he looked to be mouthing "keep-it-together, keep-it-together", just before he was comprehensively bowled and the stumps went everywhere, and Australia booked an ill-fated place in the final.

I don't think I've ever seen an occasion in my life (watching international cricket at least) when I've been so sure a wicket was going to fall before the ball was actually bowled. My friend and I, just from looking at Walsh, and then Fleming coming in, were screaming "He's gonna bowl him, he's gonna bowl him!"
That is one of the most improbable losses I have seen in cricket. It was some thing on the lines of 10 overs 41 to get with 7 or 8 wickets in hands.

And the Windies still lost that match. The run out was unnecessary, astounding.

And Windies had to lose from such a winning position like that after defeating South Africa of all teams in the quarters. :(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Many people forget that innings. 1-0 down and would've been 2-0 and the series gone IIRC, if not for Super Dom. He had some dodgy performances during his England career, but also some great ones, and he never ever stopped trying.

You can put England's turn-around into a half-decent side to that particular moment. It also (predictably) got me a letter published in The Times.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Spot on, that's where the renaissance all started. Amazing what can be achieved purely by having ones thoughts published by a broadsheet.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

For me there is just this one...actually about 30 secs before this when Mohinder got that last Windies wicket !!

Craig

World Traveller
Adamc said:
Agreed with Davison and the catch, but what was magical about Canada beating Bangladesh?
For me it was the joy that Canada's surprising win and the excitement when Canada got a wicket and it started to look likely that they would win.

I like backing for the underdog and I like a good-old fashioned upset. Clearer?

Craig

World Traveller
cricketboy29 said:
VVS Laxman, Rahul Dravid, Harbhajan Singh, Kolkata 2001. what a match.
That was a Lazarus style comeback (by India) if I have ever seen one.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Waugh's century at the SCG. Nasser and Dawson discussing forever about what to do and Waugh just slams it through the covers to bring up the finest hundred I've ever seen.

Bangladesh defeating Australia. I woke up my entire family at about 3.30am as I danced around the house in ecstasy.

Bangladesh defeating India. Much the same reaction, possibly even better.

Bevan's boundary against the Windies in 1996. So good!

Bevan's century against New Zealand to bring them back from the dead. I didn't usually like the guy but after this performance it was hard not to.

Craig

World Traveller
James90 said:
Bangladesh defeating Australia. I woke up my entire family at about 3.30am as I danced around the house in ecstasy.
That would have been one interesting sight :huh: :blink: :mellow: :-O :laugh:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
For me:

Steve Waugh's Century against England 2003
Davidsons century for Canada
People chanting "warnie" after macgill dropped a catch against India in aus in Sydney. I was there chanting along :D

Theres a few others but i cant remember them properly

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
James90 said:
Haha I did that too. My mum was so angry, but I didn't even mean to. I just yelled out "HOLY *expletive*" in which she opened her bedroom door and yelled "KEEP IT DOWN :@"

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
Haha I did that too. My mum was so angry, but I didn't even mean to. I just yelled out "HOLY *expletive*" in which she opened her bedroom door and yelled "KEEP IT DOWN :@"
Seriously people must think we hard core test cricket and general cricket fans are crazy waking up late at night, waking up early to watch matches and get so excited over them. :)