• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Holland

Anoop

U19 12th Man
hmm.. what do you think?

batting is bad.. but they bowled pretty well I thought, especially the first few overs.

do they have a future?

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
They certainly bring more color to the field :D

Yes from wht i have seen they bowled pretty well at the death too, and they have the potential to become a good fielding side.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A long way off International class I'm afraid, they still can't beat English minor Counties...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
They are a long way off from even putting up a fight against the top teams.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
OK, if they could convince the Australian National Team that pot is great and they should all emigrate there, they'd be number 1 nation within 5 years! :D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Some of the present members of the Aussie team will be too old by then and will not be as formidable as they are now. 8D

The remaining would have become junkies by then.... :D

anzac

International Debutant
awww what the hell......

good on them for winning the qualifying tourneyment & beating Namibia in the finals to get to the WC....or was that for this one?????

anyhow they deserve to be encouraged for their efforts and good on the Dutch supporters for turning up - can't miss them and they are always there for their national team no matter what the sport or where it is played....

it is unfortunate that the lack of matches hampers their development of the game so much...the comment made that Kenya has only played a total of 48 ODI in the past 6 years where as most of the full Test nations would be looking at 200 plus!!!!

I am an advocate for there to be a stronger input into development of the fringe nations utilising 'A' teams & the like from the big 8 (not counting Zim or Bangladesh)...sort of a second tier competition. One of the things to encourage the local game development is for them to have exposure to the better nations without getting smashed all the time - give them a chance at making some positive steps on the field so that it is more of a contest if & when they graduate to full status - not like the Bangladesh situation.

I also think the ICC should be working with the local domestic boards towards gaining recognition for the likes of Kenya who look like they could do well given the chance...

all of this may be taking place but I have not heard of it in general coverage and maybe needs better promotion...

;)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I am an advocate for there to be a stronger input into development of the fringe nations utilising 'A' teams & the like from the big 8 (not counting Zim or Bangladesh)...sort of a second tier competition.
Already starting to happen!
http://www-usa1.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/2001-02/OTHERS+ICC/6NAT-NAMIB/
The Six Nations Challenge in Namibia this April between Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe's 'A' Teams, Kenya, Namibia, Canada and Holland.

Anzac: Holland, Namibia and Canada as the Top 3 in the ICC Trophy go to the World Cup and Holland as winners played in the Champions Trophy.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Anzac: Holland, Namibia and Canada as the Top 3 in the ICC Trophy go to the World Cup and Holland as winners played in the Champions Trophy.
Dont you think its silly to let teams in out because of only a single tournament or so? their progress should be continually monitored and awarded points for each win or something...and then let them enter the big tourny's on the basis of that cumulative stat? Makes sense since all of them could do with more exposure..

[Edited on 9/18/02 by Gotchya]

anzac

International Debutant
that's good to see but it's only a start...

rather than have tourneyments for the minnows to gain qualification to the main events, I would rather see more tourneyments for them that also involve the development / acadamy sides from the bigger nations that have the player depth...

that way the minnows get to play against players of higher skills who have yet to break thru onto the full international stage & can take that experience back to their national comps.

For the acadamy sides etc it gives them a taste of international comp b4 having to make or break with the full squads & the get to experience off shore toruneyments etc...a sort of best of both worlds for all

I have a major problem with playing the smaller nations in the big events as they just keep getting smashed. I have heard numerous coaches of different sports say time and time again that if you keep getting hammered or failing to make any impact etc it gets harder to keep coming back for more (or similar sentiments).

I am concerned that we could actually be doing some damage to the sport for their domestic comps - who would want to play if the national team hardly plays and gets smashed when it does?????

:(