• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duncan Fletcher Blasts Australia

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
steds said:
:laugh: I love how it was nearly 100 years ago and all the Aussies still can't let go. It wasn't even against the rules at the time. It may have been dubious, but it was within the rules of the game.

...And did I mention, GET OVER IT! :D
Not to mention the "mental disintegration" crap used by Steve Waugh and Waugh and Bevan playing for to get the Windies into the super 6 in the WC 99... They were all within the spirit of the game, weren't they? ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
1) Just because the ICC didn't reprimand them didn't mean it wasn't in the "spirit of the game" That is what is in question here, not the rules. The same situation was said in regards to the sub fielder wasn't it? It wasn't illegal, and they weren't reprimanded by the ICC. Why the hell was Ponting crying about it then? A bit hypocritical there.

2) Suddenly the ICC know what they're doing? So when the ICC do something one dislikes, its all out attack at them but when they aren't punishing Ponting they're a great organisation then eh?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not to mention the "mental disintegration" crap used by Steve Waugh and Waugh and Bevan playing for to get the Windies into the super 6 in the WC 99... They were all within the spirit of the game, weren't they?
Now come on. There isn't a Test-playing side in the world who wouldn't have done exactly the same as Steve Waugh and Bevan did because it meant more points for the team in the Super 6's. It's all academic now (particularly since it didn't bloody work anyway!) but still, I did notice a defeaning silence about the issue from players of the time because they knew that if confronted with the same, the tactics would have been the same.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Top_Cat said:
Now come on. There isn't a Test-playing side in the world who wouldn't have done exactly the same as Steve Waugh and Bevan did because it meant more points for the team in the Super 6's. It's all academic now (particularly since it didn't bloody work anyway!) but still, I did notice a defeaning silence about the issue from players of the time because they knew that if confronted with the same, the tactics would have been the same.
Of course, most sides would have done that, but those sides wouldn't have taken up the case of "The spirit of the game" so magnificently either. That was hypocritical, to say the least.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Of course, most sides would have done that, but those sides wouldn't have taken up the case of "The spirit of the game" so magnificently either. That was hypocritical, to say the least.
I personally always thought that any combination of 'Spirit of the Game' and 'Steve Waugh' were always doomed to fail. :D

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Top_Cat said:
I personally always thought that any combination of 'Spirit of the Game' and 'Steve Waugh' were always doomed to fail. :D
You can replace "Steve Waugh" with "Ricky Ponting" and it would still fail. :D

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh man one Ashes win and I see so much noise by some English fans, cricketers and the coach. I hope the order is restored in next ashes series in australia. Looking at it We have beaten Australia in India quite a few times when they were led by better captains (by Taylor & Waugh) and had better teams and I think we have been pretty modest about our performance.

Yes ponting and his team have not played cricket in 'right spirit' but neither have England. The substitute fielder thing is hardly in 'right spirit' of the game. So in stead of trying to create a controversy to sell some copies of his books, Fletcher should shut up and concentrate on Eng's winter tour in Pak & Ind.

greg

International Debutant
Sanz said:
Oh man one Ashes win and I see so much noise by some English fans, cricketers and the coach. I hope the order is restored in next ashes series in australia. Looking at it We have beaten Australia in India quite a few times when they were led by better captains (by Taylor & Waugh) and had better teams and I think we have been pretty modest about our performance.
That's because you've generally lost to everyone else ;) Anyway we don't care. All we care about is that we won the Ashes :p

Yes ponting and his team have not played cricket in 'right spirit' but neither have England. The substitute fielder thing is hardly in 'right spirit' of the game. So in stead of trying to create a controversy to sell some copies of his books, Fletcher should shut up and concentrate on Eng's winter tour in Pak & Ind.
Except Fletcher wasn't trying to claim some sort of moral high ground in how England played the game. Just that it was hypocritical of the Australians to pick up on little things here and there that they didn't like and turn it into some big "spirit of cricket" issue.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It's not like you have beaten everyone else everywhere. This eng team is still to beat any of the sub-continent teams both @ home and away, win/draw the ashes in Aus. If you can do that then you have all the right to GLOAT. Untill then your success is just a FLASH in the pan to me.

Ofcourse you won the ashes and full credits to you, but this coming from the coach after 2 months is nothing but a very poor attempt to sell few more copies of his book. ;)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh and what you call little thing (pratt running out Ponting) could have been an ashes saving innings, who knows. :)

greg

International Debutant
Sanz said:
It's not like you have beaten everyone else everywhere. This eng team is still to beat any of the sub-continent teams both @ home and away, win/draw the ashes in Aus. If you can do that then you have all the right to GLOAT. Untill then your success is just a FLASH in the pan to me.

Ofcourse you won the ashes and full credits to you, but this coming from the coach after 2 months is nothing but a very poor attempt to sell few more copies of his book. ;)
We don't care. We won the Ashes.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Oh and what you call little thing (pratt running out Ponting) could have been an ashes saving innings, who knows. :)
And Pratt was most definitely legitimately on the pitch.

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sanz said:

Great point, Sanz.

Other than the last tour India has beaten Australia in India everytime. There was none of the self-absorbed gloating and spitefulness that the English are so good at. There was no attacking the Australians on the way in which the 'Spirit of the Game' was harmed. Its interesting how the English are experts on this.

Taylor, Waugh and Border were, mentally, very tough cricketers. If they weren't then Australia would not have had the successes we've had. I'd expect the responses from the english members of this forum that are being posted, but the australian members who support them disgust me. Would you have preferred to struggle as we did in the mid-80's, just so it didn't offend your sense of right and wrong? And, one last point is...

There are comments suggesting that just because the ICC didn't reprimand Ponting or Gilchrist doesn't mean that they were in the spirit of the game. I'm afraid that is just your opinion and your opinion alone (which is your right). We see that sort of thing in nearly every test match between all countries, but the Australians have to wear the brunt of it because we made the mistake of being better than everyone else.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SteveG said:
Great point, Sanz.

Other than the last tour India has beaten Australia in India everytime. There was none of the self-absorbed gloating and spitefulness that the English are so good at. There was no attacking the Australians on the way in which the 'Spirit of the Game' was harmed. Its interesting how the English are experts on this.

Taylor, Waugh and Border were, mentally, very tough cricketers. If they weren't then Australia would not have had the successes we've had. I'd expect the responses from the english members of this forum that are being posted, but the australian members who support them disgust me. Would you have preferred to struggle as we did in the mid-80's, just so it didn't offend your sense of right and wrong? And, one last point is...

There are comments suggesting that just because the ICC didn't reprimand Ponting or Gilchrist doesn't mean that they were in the spirit of the game. I'm afraid that is just your opinion and your opinion alone (which is your right). We see that sort of thing in nearly every test match between all countries, but the Australians have to wear the brunt of it because we made the mistake of being better than everyone else.
You're completely missing the point. Australia are getting slagged off because they go on about upholding the spirit of the game and then do the exact opposite when they play.