• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duncan Fletcher Blasts Australia

Jason_M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The behaviour of the Australians on the recent Ashes tour was disgraceful, when they got a bad decision they're true character was there for all to see, and that's been the way for the past decade with the Aussies. I actually used to support Australia even through most of Mark Taylor's captaincy but once i started to hear words such as "mental disintegration" enter players vocabulary and of their abusive sledging and other intimidation tactics i stopped following them. As a cricket fan i wanted my country to become the best by winning the battle of the bat and ball not by using stand-over tactics to gain world domination. Unfortunately Australia will be remembered for ushering in this ugly new era of cricket and their victories against sub standard teams who have struggled to come to grips with the way cricket is played these days.

SteveG

Jason_M said:
The behaviour of the Australians on the recent Ashes tour was disgraceful, when they got a bad decision they're true character was there for all to see, and that's been the way for the past decade with the Aussies. I actually used to support Australia even through most of Mark Taylor's captaincy but once i started to hear words such as "mental disintegration" enter players vocabulary and of their abusive sledging and other intimidation tactics i stopped following them. As a cricket fan i wanted my country to become the best by winning the battle of the bat and ball not by using stand-over tactics to gain world domination. Unfortunately Australia will be remembered for ushering in this ugly new era of cricket and their victories against sub standard teams who have struggled to come to grips with the way cricket is played these days.
If you've played cricket you've faced some form of sledging. If you've play most codes of Rugby you will have been sledged a dozen times a game. Mental domination is important in all sports as much as physical domination...I suggest to you that maybe cricket isn't for you...it may have been a gentlemans game once, but in the modern professional game things have change. Maybe for the worse, maybe not.

The great Windies sides of the late 70's and 80's were not above using mental domination and I don't hear anyone criticising them.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jason_M said:
I very much doubt it. Australia will be remember for great players like Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Steve Waugh, for winning 16 tests in a row, and for being a hard, competitive side that dominated world cricket like no team ever before them has. As has already been mentioned, the West Indies sides of the 70s and 80s were not saints either, but people remember them as great cricketers.

Jason_M

The difference between the Aussies and the Windies is that the Aussies have pre-conceived tactics to sledge and mentally disintegrate an opponent, the Windies didn't need that, they let their bouncers do the talking and play on batsman's minds. There's no comparison between the two sides.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jason_M said:
The difference between the Aussies and the Windies is that the Aussies have pre-conceived tactics to sledge and mentally disintegrate an opponent, the Windies didn't need that, they let their bouncers do the talking and play on batsman's minds. There's no comparison between the two sides.
So the bouncers weren't pre-conceived?

PY

International Coach
In the same way that the beamer wasn't pre-conceived as a weapon of mass destruction by Brett Lee? :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
PY said:
In the same way that the beamer wasn't pre-conceived as a weapon of mass destruction by Brett Lee? :p
Lets be honest. Brett Lee has about as much "control" as Jason Biggs in American Pie with that European bird.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
Lets be honest. Brett Lee has about as much "control" as Jason Biggs in American Pie with that European bird.
And who could blame him... (Jason Biggs I mean)

SteveG

Jason_M said:
And you now this because you sit in on the tactical meetings? I'm sorry, but that is crap!!!

The Windies were not above sledging and mentally dominating other teams.

Australia wouldn't waste their time thinking up wonderful and witty sledges, they would be analysing every oppositions players weakness and honing in on it...it was Steve Waughs specialty. I'm sorry if this offends some peoples sensibility, but that is professional sports.

We aren't all brandy-sipping old school englishmen sitting around the bar at Lords, the game is played at an elite level now, not some Saturday afternoon gentlemans game at the local town green.

The reason Australia has stayed at the top is because of the toughness instilled in the team by Alan Border and carried through to the present day.

And, as far as sledging goes...why has there been no action taken by the ICC on players who use excessive sledging as a tactic? Because it isn't excessive. If it was, the umpires would note it in their match reports and the Match Referee would impose fines or bans for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

IMHO I think it is less prevalent then everyone thinks. Its the media that likes to stir the fires of controversy.

toons_39

Cricket Spectator
duncan

Hi,
i thought would post this message on the fact that Duncan Fletcher apparently deserves an apology from his critics. I however disagree. England on the whole tour of Australia won only 5 games 2 of which happened to be in the final.Obviously he must be congratulated on winning the commonwealth bank series aswell as the whole of the England team. But people are forgetting about the ashes.A 5-0 whitewash , the wrong team was picked on basiccly all the tests. Ashley Giles was a complete waste of time , and finally when monty came in he took 5 wickets. Why take players and injured players who havnt played any cricket for over a year. SO NO HE DOES NOT DESERVE AN APOLOGY.

However the world cup team i am very happy with.