• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

bat help

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Often where you've bought it from will offer a $20 deal to oil, roll, bone (don't laugh 8-) ) and then put extra-tec on the bat, and after that it's left to you to do minimal knocking in and that's all you'll need to do with the bat till it breaks.

If you can't get that, then you should oil it - and if you don't put on any extra-tec, you need to continue to oil it throughout the life of the bat. Be careful though, because over-oiling the bat will screw it too.

And you cannot knock in a bat too much. The more you knock it in, the more ready it will be. The only exception to this is if you don't knock it in with appropriate care, and you could damage it before you've used it (hitting new balls in the nets with it, trying to smash the ball with it too early on in its life are the type of things to avoid).

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Lyell_Chris said:
I just got a new bat, should I oil it before knocking it??

also can you knock it in to much??
You can put a sleeve on it and you never have to oil it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Lyell_Chris said:

1. Yes

2. Has Vic said their is no such thing has knock it in too much but you should becareful not to be too wild when knocking it in...

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
vic_orthdox said:
I think it's still recommended that you oil it before putting the sleeve on it.
I oiled the back of it only.

Anyway...that bat finally broke as did my next one which I didn't put a sleeve on but oiled and knocked the living daylights out of so I dunno !

King_Ponting

International Regular
Lyell_Chris said:

You should do exactly what vic_orthdox said, however i would also further knock the bat in with either a mallet or the ball on a sock method to make sure its really done. I once bought a bat which was supposedly ready to play, didnt bother to further knock it in and 7th ball i faced it cracked right up the side...