Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ICC Rankings

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    McGrath's been comfortably the best bowler in the world since his return from injury, and has held a stranglehold on top spot. His average since he came back against Sri Lanka in mid 2004 is under 20, and against good opposition for the most part as well. Warne's made the move from outside the top 5 to second on the back of his Ashes series and a good Super Test.
    If we check the recent performances would Warne be so behind compared to McGrath? I wouldnt go as far as saying McGrath is EASILY the best bowler in the world right now.

Warne is bowling superbly at the moment.

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Is it just me, or would it be much, much simpler to rank an all rounder based on their lowest score?

1 Flintoff
    2 Kallis
    3 Vettori
    4 Jayasuriya
    5 Pollock
    6 Razzaq
    7 Blignaut
    8 Boje
    9 Giles
    10 Afridi
    11 Vaas
    12 Streak
    13 Gayle
    14 Warne
    15 Astle
    16 Oram
    17 Klusener
    18 Hall
    19 Chandana
    20 W Hinds
    21 Tendulkar
    22 Styris
    23 Samaraweera
    24 Katich
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    If we check the recent performances would Warne be so behind compared to McGrath? I wouldnt go as far as saying McGrath is EASILY the best bowler in the world right now.

Warne is bowling superbly at the moment.
    McGrath takes more wickets at a far lower average and takes a far higher proportion of higher -order players than Warne.

BTW, dont overrate Warne's Ashes performance. He bowled very well BUT Eng arent the strongest batting lineup and are particularly ordinary against spin.

I wouldnt say that it was a weak batting line up?!?!?!

I would say that the top 3 are one of the best top 3 in the world. Bell is a concern but, the others in the top 6 (even Geraint I guess) would all get into most teams.

I thougt that McGrath was stunningly overrated at times this summer.

His performance at Lords was helped massively with at least 3 very low bouncing deliveries. And apart from that innings, he ended up as a "trundler" as Slater called him.

I cant see how injury can affect his simple bowling action... also... if he wasnt 100% fit.. then dont play!

Warne quite honestly, was a one-man team at certain points, with bat and palpably with the ball. He was overshadowed by Flintoff to a certain extent but I honestly think that his series performance was the best I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by simmy

His performance at Lords was helped massively with at least 3 very low bouncing deliveries. And apart from that innings, he ended up as a "trundler" as Slater called him.

I cant see how injury can affect his simple bowling action... also... if he wasnt 100% fit.. then dont play!

Warne quite honestly, was a one-man team at certain points, with bat and palpably with the ball. He was overshadowed by Flintoff to a certain extent but I honestly think that his series performance was the best I have ever seen.
    McGrath was fit for one test but played 3 because Aus had no back-up yet still finished with 20 wickets at 20.

Apart from Warne and Jones, he had the best figures of the summer.

Injury cant change an action? - he sustained an ankle injury that was supposed to keep him out for 4 - 6 weeks. He returned in 10 days because of others dismal form and naturally couldnt put weight on his ankle so had to use more "arm" in the delivery - hence the arm injury.

As much as I admire Warne and Murali, it is McGrath first by some distance..

BTW, check the stats. Aus can be beaten with only Warne but are virtually never beaten with only McGrath.
    Last edited by social; 20-10-2005 at 05:52 PM.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar

Haha yeah, those "very low bouncing deliveries" were what got batsmen out, when they seamed in a foot off the pitch and hit half-way up middle stump. Anyway, compare the way McGrath bowled at Lords or in the Super Test to the way be bowled in the 3rd and 5th tests of the Ashes. It wasn't the same bowler.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Interesting to see Oram in the ODI bowlers list...
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GladiatrsInBlue
    Indian team is honored to have a player like IKP in its rank & IKP truely deserve the number tenth slot on ICC ranking.
    But what do you feel about his bowling average (excluding zim and bangla tests).
    Rohit Sharma is the most hyped cricketer ever...

I wouldnt say that it was a weak batting line up?!?!?!

I would say that the top 3 are one of the best top 3 in the world. Bell is a concern but, the others in the top 6 (even Geraint I guess) would all get into most teams.
    Well...

Langer/Hayden/Ponting
    Sehwag/Ghambir/Dravid
    Smith/De Villiers/Kallis

They're surely better top 3s by a significant distance. England would probably be next, and then you throw in two inexperienced players at 4 and 5 and Flintoff and Jones... it's a good batting lineup but it wouldn't rank higher than fourth in the world. It was obviously England's bowlers and the failure of Australia's batsmen that won them the series. England batted well, but still didn't dominate with the bat.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social
    McGrath was fit for one test but played 3 because Aus had no back-up yet still finished with 20 wickets at 20.
    Yes, but that was somewhat helped by what he himself called the worst 5fer of his career when England were trying to set a target at Old Trafford.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Well...

Langer/Hayden/Ponting
    Sehwag/Ghambir/Dravid
    Smith/De Villiers/Kallis

They're surely better top 3s by a significant distance. England would probably be next, and then you throw in two inexperienced players at 4 and 5 and Flintoff and Jones... it's a good batting lineup but it wouldn't rank higher than fourth in the world. It was obviously England's bowlers and the failure of Australia's batsmen that won them the series. England batted well, but still didn't dominate with the bat.
    Gibbs/De Villiers/Kallis and I'd agree with you. Smith got scared down the order by Hoggy's swing.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    In which case, can we remove the Australian's as well then, since Hayden was beaten by the English side

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar

England of the past was pathetic against spin. The current English team - is it really as pathetic against spin? No.

He has been bowling superbly and it has not been just the Ashes. The bowling spells vs ROW were pretty good too and for all to see.

I dont understand how just because Mcgrath would average abit less than Warne during a period he could be declared 'easily the best bowler' above Warne.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Gibbs/De Villiers/Kallis and I'd agree with you. Smith got scared down the order by Hoggy's swing.
    He's still a better and more reliable batsman than Gibbs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information