• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Nicholas Dumped

parisa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think that Mark Nicholas has a very ***y voice :D and atleast he is not as boring as some of the other commentators whose name I don't want to mention. So why would they sack him? :unsure:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
lol oh dear, poor mark has no job whatsoever now, maybe time to go grovelling back to sky or sneak in the back door at channel 5 :p

chris.hinton

International Captain
I like Nicholas me and Him both seen the foresight of Twenty20 when it was only me and Him who put our hands up at a Q/A Forum if they though Twenty20 would be a success this was in May 2002

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
age_master said:
Mark Nicholas has apparently been dumped by Ch 9 owing to an overfilled commentary box

bout time :D:D:D
Finally and end to the worst thing about ch 9 cricket coverage.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sledger said:
lol oh dear, poor mark has no job whatsoever now, maybe time to go grovelling back to sky or sneak in the back door at channel 5 :p
Would be kinda amusing seeing him at a jobcentre tho - wonder sort of employment he'd get offered...

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
I was chatting with Mo Matthews at the super test. He's dying to get into that commentary box.....is this his chance?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
*does a little dance in celebration*

sqwerty said:
I was chatting with Mo Matthews at the super test. He's dying to get into that commentary box.....is this his chance?
Nah, surely he would have put too many of the "cricket establishment" offside during his playing days, and even his opinions nowadays.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
sqwerty said:
Personally? I recon Kerry O'Keefe will get it, they've had their eyes on him for ages.
I like every member of the Commentry Team, Richie, Tony, Ian Chappel, Ian Healy, Simon O'Donnell... but for some reason I don't like Mark Taylor's commentry. He just doesn't seem to say anything interesting :huh:
I didn't like Mark Nicholas but that biased dude from New Zealand was far worse. And Michael Holding was great.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
nooooooo this is so disappointing, my favourite commentator is gone this is crap mayn :@ i was looking foward to hearing him this summer, hopefully this isn't the end of Mark....

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
btw im a fan of Mark Nicholas too.. a lot better than Martin Crowe and some of our commentary lineup.. btw maybe NZCricket can bring him here ! :D

howardj

International Coach
It's an absolute tragedy. Finally they get a fresh voice - and a more analytical commentator - into the box, then they dump him. Im sick and tired of people like Lawry and Greig. All they do is just describe the play and make ridiculously obvious statements. There's no attempt from them, whatsoever, to analyse things or to offer any insight. As for Benaud, he's too occupied with making smart little comments and trying to be witty. I liked him when he was naturally witty, but now he just tries to force it. Replace these people with the likes of Slater and Nicholas - guys who actually say unobvious things and offer some insight.

Blaze

Banned
Hmm people said Chappell was getting axed this time last year and it turned out he was just being rested for a couple of games.. Could be the same sort of thing.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Blaze said:
Hmm people said Chappell was getting axed this time last year and it turned out he was just being rested for a couple of games.. Could be the same sort of thing.
Quite possible. They had to find someone to make way for Holding while the Windies are here, and there is no guest commentator planned for the SA series.

I just find it annoying how he makes everything seem so important, everything about a player so great, and just tries to wind whatever he's saying about someone into what's going on at the time, at the expense of accuracy.

E.g. he'll be talking about how elegant Martyn is, and then Martyn plays a pull shot out of nowhere, and he'll say "That's trademark Martyn there" when it isn't at all. (That occurrence itself hasn't happened, but it's the sort of thing he does.)