• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Nicholas Dumped

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Am I the only David Lloyd fan in the world?
I just can't get over the first line I ever heard from him as a commentator in a game with Australia in it. "Well I've been looking forward to today, I want to see a lot of things... I want to see McGrath get smashed out of the ground, because he won't like that".

That's right Bumble, leave your objectivity at the door, it's cheer squad time. He's just like a slightly more camp Ian Botham.

Slow Love™

International Captain
My enduring memory of Lloyd was his infatuation with Trescothick's "package" in the 2001 Ashes - he just couldn't stop drooling and muttering about it.

It's possible that he meant what Tresco had to offer in terms of cricketing ability.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jono said:
Why is it that people think Tony Greig is biased? I actually think he enjoys seeing Australia lose or challenged at least.

And before someone refers to his common comments during the Ashes where he said "if England can make 400 on this deck, imagine what Australia can get", I think that's more an example of his idiocy than his bias. That being said I still enjoy his commentary, Lawry too. :D
I never intended that he is biased only towards Australia. He seems to support the away teams in the Australian season and supports Australia like anything when they are the travellers and he happens to be commentating on them. Watch the 2001 series in India for the best example.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
I never intended that he is biased only towards Australia. He seems to support the away teams in the Australian season and supports Australia like anything when they are the travellers and he happens to be commentating on them. Watch the 2001 series in India for the best example.
You think he was biased towards Australia during the 2001 series?

I distinctively remember him criticising McGrath when McGrath was taunting Tendulkar, telling him to hook instead of duck his bouncers. He said something along the lines of "You keep telling the little master that, and he'll hit you out of the ground if you're not careful."

Of course that could have something to do with the fact that Tony loves Sachin. But I don't find him biased towards Australia. When Australia are on top he obviously compliments them, but when they're struggling I think he takes joy in it, whether it be home or away.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Man, I'd love to hear David Lloyd and Boycott together. It'd probably be a bit of an overload, though, and I have the feeling they probably hate each other.

Isolator

State 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad said:
I just can't get over the first line I ever heard from him as a commentator in a game with Australia in it. "Well I've been looking forward to today, I want to see a lot of things... I want to see McGrath get smashed out of the ground, because he won't like that".

That's right Bumble, leave your objectivity at the door, it's cheer squad time.
Ah, come on. He's just being funny. It's not like he's that way when he's talking about the game.

howardj

International Coach
I have some great news for all those Mark Nicholas fans - there ain't many of us, by the looks of it. Anyway, from today's Sun Herald

Mark Nicholas might still yet wear the cream, bone, white, off-white, ivory or beige jacket. The velvet-throated English commentator was locked in negotiations with Nine execs on Friday and a new deal is expected to be inked this week. This comes despite reports on Wednesday that Nicholas wouldn't be calling a ball in Australia this summer. Nicholas's contract is up for renewal but his availability all year was a sticking point, as he has some opportunities in England. So, too, was money. "He is still under contract to Nine and we are negotiating a new contract with him at the moment," a Nine spokesman said.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good to see, hopefully we'll be hearing less "Steve Harmison, your baby girl is our baby girl" and more "So, if Darren Lehmann were English, would his nickname be Lehmanny?"