• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Heath Streak Quits

Chubb

International Regular
Also in "Official Zimbabwe Domestic Season Thread"

Heath Streak puts county before country

Cricinfo staff

October 18, 2005

Warwickshire have confirmed that Heath Streak has been appointed as their captain for the next two seasons, a move which means that he has possibly played his last game for Zimbabwe.

Streak, who has spent the last two summers at Edgbaston, was reported to have grown disenchanted with the constant in-fighting inside Zimbabwe cricket. Although he was been offered a new contract by Zimbabwe Cricket he did not sign it, and the offer from Warwickshire led to him quitting international cricket.

But he has not ruled out a return at some time. "I cannot rule out playing for Zimbabwe in the future, outside my Warwickshire contract which takes priority," he said. "I am not sure what the Zimbabwe Cricket plans are. I have not discussed anything with them, and I'm still willing to play club and provincial cricket."

Streak joined Warwickshire in 2004, and although his appearances were limited by international calls, he made a strong impression and his appointment will be welcomed by both players and spectators alike.

"I am honoured to be appointed as captain," Streak said. "The club has a proud history and I'm looking forward to working with the players, staff and supporters to bring more silverware in the future.

"I've enjoyed playing for Zimbabwe immensely but I have decided to retire from international cricket in order to fulfil my contractual commitments with Warwickshire. I hope that one day I can assist Zimbabwe cricket again in its efforts to develop."

Mark Greatbatch, the county's director of cricket, said: "Heath has had an outstanding international career and we are fortunate to secure his services as he has all the qualities that are vital in a club captain. All the players and management staff are looking forward to having him back next season."

I'm absolutely gutted. I'm afraid to say Heath has gone down a long way in my estimation, I never imagined he would do something like this. I can understand it, but I can't forgive it. He was offered a top-level contract, unlike guys like Trevor Gripper, Marillier and Rogers who are still trying to get back into the international scene... Heath has forfeited my respect for him. Sorry, this is just wrong, and extremely hypocritical of him.

He led the rebellion, he cost Rayzer and Ervine and Friend and the others their careers, then he comes back despite the problems, undermining the rebellion, and now he has decided to quit for the money. Sorry, Heath, that's just wrong.

And Warwickshire may well find out that Heath isn't actually a very good captain... He always lacked imagination in the field. He's no Vaughan or Hussain for sure.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yup. While I guess in the end it can be seen as a bit of "I've tried, but I can't change it" sort of thing, it also has that smell of "too hard basket" about it. Heath really has put his reputation at risk on this one, and I think that Zimbabwe cricket really did need some more out of him.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Its the smartest decision he's made in a long time.

a player of his class shouldn't be playing with the current ZIM side.

shaka

International Regular
He tried his best to carry the team as a unit, but with Zimbabwe continueing to ignore him and throw players out, it was never going to be successful, sadly Streak had to say enough is enough.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Chubb said:
I'm absolutely gutted. I'm afraid to say Heath has gone down a long way in my estimation, I never imagined he would do something like this. I can understand it, but I can't forgive it. He was offered a top-level contract, unlike guys like Trevor Gripper, Marillier and Rogers who are still trying to get back into the international scene... Heath has forfeited my respect for him. Sorry, this is just wrong, and extremely hypocritical of him.

He led the rebellion, he cost Rayzer and Ervine and Friend and the others their careers, then he comes back despite the problems, undermining the rebellion, and now he has decided to quit for the money. Sorry, Heath, that's just wrong.
FWIW, I agree. It seemed like even earlier, he had abandoned his fellow strikers, when he articulated his return as giving Zimbabwe cricket the support it desperately needed. This implied that those who also participated in the rebel action (that he ignited and led) didn't. I was understanding of his desire to return at the time (it's very easy from the armchair to criticize people for backing down from a principle) even if it was sealing the other rebels' fate, but walking away like this does indeed look very bad after everything.

On the other hand, he is getting on in cricket terms, and his chances of having a semi-comfortable life after cricket from playing on in Zimbabwe were very low.

shaka

International Regular
Now Carlisle retires:

'I’m tired of the politics'

Stuart Carlisle announces retirement

Cricinfo staff

October 19, 2005

Stuart Carlisle has joined the long list of those driven into retirement by Zimbabwe's infighting.

"I have now officially retired from the game," he told reporters in Harare. "I was fed up by what is happening and I just walked away. I'm tired of the politics. I'd rather be away from them.

"Phil Simmons is dead right. We can't be having people who do not know which side of the bat is up at the helm of cricket. As for the players, it's not their fault. You cannot expect them to perform when all this is happening around them. I feel sorry for the younger players, they have nothing else to do outside cricket. They'll rather stay put under the prevailing condition and still have their cars and fuel coupons.

"We have just lost to Kenya and there is a danger of losing our Test status if we keep on losing." His retirement follows that of Craig Wishart last month.

Carlisle, 33, played the last of his 33 Tests against New Zealand in August, exactly a decade after his ODI and Test debuts against Pakistan. He scored 1615 runs at 26.91, including two hundreds, and also played 111 ODIs, making 2740 runs at 27.67.

He said he will look back on his career with mainly happy memories. "We definitely had some good times, as an individual and with the team. I'm proud to be the only Zimbabwean to score an ODI and Test hundred against Australia, and my three ODI hundreds have been very special."

Carlisle has gone into business, but says he feel he still have something to contribute to cricket. "There are senior guys like me around. We do not have to play. We can coach and do other stuff. A lot of guys want to do that. But we can't do that under the present set-up."

cricket player

International Debutant
How many retirments can we have?this is absloutely pathetic from the zimbabwe board,

******** so many good players are retiring zimbabwe is sinking.

Craig

World Traveller
Hardly surprising Aussie.

Sad to see about Stuart Carlise - always thought he was a lot better then his average suggested.