• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

VVS Laxman v M Waugh v Gower

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Do you guys reckon VVS Laxman is this decade's equivalent batsman to what Mark Waugh was during the 90's or David Gower was during the 1980's ---- ie
massively talented, wonderful to watch but perhaps rather underachieving ?

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Spetsnatz said:
Do you guys reckon VVS Laxman is this decade's equivalent batsman to what Mark Waugh was during the 90's or David Gower was during the 1980's ---- ie
massively talented, wonderful to watch but perhaps rather underachieving ?
Laxman and Gower could at least hit big tons/double tons. Waugh would just go into cruise mode once he hit 70. That's why he got out so many times between 50 and 100 and had a top score of only 150 odd.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
VVS=Very Very Special
But if you look at his first class average of 55 odd 44 in test cricket is underacheiving.
Wonderful player remeniscent of carl hooper makes batting look so easy.
if never enjoyed watching anyone bat more than VVS in my life.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Woody_cloudofsm said:
VVS=Very Very Special
But if you look at his first class average of 55 odd 44 in test cricket is underacheiving.
The thing is, how much of that FC Cricket was truly of a standard comparable with say Australian FC cricket?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
VVS is a batsman who when the dust settles on his career (i.e. in 20 years' time) will be remembered for one innings rather than his whole career - granted, that innings can lay a legitimate (if sketchy) claim to being the greatest of all time, but if he was averaging, say, 50 rather than 44, he'd probably be remembered as a great batsman. As it is, he's just be the guy who played THAT innings. Which is still a pretty damn good way to be remembered.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
indeed, though im sure Tendulkar and Dravid and sehwag will be remembered for alot of special innings they played rather than just their 'best' innings.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did Gower and Waugh ever play a memorable innings even close to Laxman's? Laxman's two innings in Sydney and in Adelaide were also very good. Just a shame he cannot be consistent at it.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
Did Gower and Waugh ever play a memorable innings even close to Laxman's? Laxman's two innings in Sydney and in Adelaide were also very good. Just a shame he cannot be consistent at it.
I feel Laxman belongs to a different league when it comes to elegance.
Mark Waugh, i would say , an under-achiever among the 3 , ended with a not so great average in Test cricket.

Mister Wright

ramkumar_gr said:
I feel Laxman belongs to a different league when it comes to elegance.
Mark Waugh, i would say , an under-achiever among the 3 , ended with a not so great average in Test cricket.
Laxman is the most elegant batsman playing the game without doubt. I never considered Junior all that elegent, but that appers to just be my view from what other people have said. Mark Waugh was lazy. He would usually wait until there was some conjecture about his place in the side or the last test of the series to chime in with a meaningless hundred.

andyc

Mister Wright said:
Laxman is the most elegant batsman playing the game without doubt. I never considered Junior all that elegent, but that appers to just be my view from what other people have said. Mark Waugh was lazy. He would usually wait until there was some conjecture about his place in the side or the last test of the series to chime in with a meaningless hundred.
I loved watching Mark Waugh bat, he did make it look very easy, but I can't say I've seen the other two

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
You are spot on. Mark Waugh is someone who scores in inconsequential matches and was overhyped as a stylist. Never been consistent. The same argument holds good for Michael Clarke now, who is again hyped, whose performances are no good to write home about.

Laxman's 281, not for its magnitude, but the elegance attached to how he played both fast and spin bowling , is a knock that is second to none. The only innings i could remember as a near match is Lara's 277 at Sydney.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
If you're talking elegant batsmen, there aren't many more so when on top form than Michael Vaughan. I would pay to watch his cover-drive alone. His two 190-odds against India in 2002 were two of the most supreme innings I've ever seen.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
If you're talking elegant batsmen, there aren't many more so when on top form than Michael Vaughan. I would pay to watch his cover-drive alone. His two 190-odds against India in 2002 were two of the most supreme innings I've ever seen.
I cant deny that as i watched both innings. That was sheer class. No question about that.

howardj

International Coach
shaka said:
Perhaps Kallis should get a mention here.
Jacques? He doesn't deserve to be grouped with the others. There is nobody in the history of the game who shows up - every time - willling to absolutely put everything on the line, like Jacques does. It's like he bats for his life. Wonderful concentration. Unquestionable commitment.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
howardj said:
Jacques? He doesn't deserve to be grouped with the others. There is nobody in the history of the game who shows up - every time - willling to absolutely put everything on the line, like Jacques does. It's like he bats for his life. Wonderful concentration. Unquestionable commitment.
To me it seems as if Kallis is often batting only for himself, rather than the team.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dasa said:
To me it seems as if Kallis is often batting only for himself, rather than the team.
It's an impression he does little to counter. I remember the 5th test of our tour in SA earlier this year. He'd made his ton in the 2nd innings, time was of the essence due to the whole first day being lost, SA needed to win to tie series and yet he still seemed unwilling to put his foot down to up the pace.

Got his NO in the end too...