• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan should stop talking rot

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
The events in Pakistan are tragic beyond comprehension.

Cricket may not be the elixir but at least laughter will bring some relief even if only momentarily.........

..........and that's where the King of Spain comes in.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
EnglishRose said:
Welll given that I have worked in an earthquake zone....yeah I guess I do have some perspective.
Think about it for a minute.......and ask yourself again, what sort of importance a cricket match is going to assume when you have lost loved ones and/or your house/belongings/life savings.....?
& you're precluding the possibility that watching a cricket match might just fractionally improve someone's mood, however temporarily? One person in a nation of over 100 million?

Cricket is & always will be an irrelevance in the greater scheme of things. But it's a bloody magnificent waste of time tho.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
EnglishRose said:
Welll given that I have worked in an earthquake zone....yeah I guess I do have some perspective.
Think about it for a minute.......and ask yourself again, what sort of importance a cricket match is going to assume when you have lost loved ones and/or your house/belongings/life savings.....?
You've repeated yourself about five times now. And the mark of a strong country is that life goes on in the wake of a tragedy - America continued to watch baseball after 9/11, because it was an escape. Pakistan is a strong country in itself, and cricket will be part of the rebuilding process - not everyone is content to wallow in misery for the whole of eternity, even if you might be.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Cricket is & always will be an irrelevance in the greater scheme of things. But it's a bloody magnificent waste of time tho.
Best two sentences I've ever read on this board (apart from the abbreviated "though" :p ).

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Barney Rubble said:
You've repeated yourself about five times now. And the mark of a strong country is that life goes on in the wake of a tragedy - America continued to watch baseball after 9/11, because it was an escape. Pakistan is a strong country in itself, and cricket will be part of the rebuilding process - not everyone is content to wallow in misery for the whole of eternity, even if you might be.
And you still don't get the point......but I'm not really surprised 8-)

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Barney Rubble said:
Best two sentences I've ever read on this board (apart from the abbreviated "though" :p ).
I was about to say the same. The posts made by Brumby in this thread have gained him huge respect points in my book. Superb stuff.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
And you're resorting to insults and hints of racism to try and make this so called point...

I've edited my posts because I'm a good boy.....apologize to Barney for any offence that I may have caused.

Insults....that's a laugh....Guys like Scaly piscine and tooextracool make insults galore and you say not a single word about them.....why cos they're English ?

Last edited:

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
And you're resorting to insults and hints of racism to try and make this so called point...

Where's the hint of racism ? Just cause I criticise what an English player says doesn't amount to racism.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
EnglishRose said:
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/pakveng/content/story/222235.html

"Going to Pakistan now for me is just a chance to hopefully put a few smiles on some of their faces"

Do you honestly think earthquake victims would give a toss about cricket now ?
Andrew "someone tried to shoot me" Flintoff earns more from a week of his book sales than those people earn in a whole year.
How do you know that the earthquake victims wont think about cricket ? And even if they are not thinking about cricket now, how does that show that Vaughan is talking rubbish ? Did you really read the full story ?? Here is something you forgot to read :-

"It's going to be difficult but hopefully we'll get the chance to do a bit of fundraising while we're there,"

Did you know that Vaughan and his players are going to donate their match earnings from Lahore ODI ?

greg

International Debutant
Anyone dig up any quotes about the publicly stated reasons why teams are stiill touring Zimbabwe? (voiced by every international captain who's been there)

Although in that case it usuallly is a load of rot...

Slow Love™

International Captain
greg said:
Anyone dig up any quotes about the publicly stated reasons why teams are stiill touring Zimbabwe? (voiced by every international captain who's been there)

Although in that case it usuallly is a load of rot...
Yeah, it usually is, in that instance, although the circumstances are obviously very different, at least as far as it being a response to a natural disaster, anyhow (I know that your post here was TIC). I suppose that some argue that Musharraf should be regarded similarly to Mugabe, but not me.

Sportsmen can certainly be presumptuous, insensitive or indulgent though. The main thing here I guess is that Vaughan referenced "a chance to hopefully put a few smiles on some of their faces". I can't really see anything obnoxious about that at all, particularly given he's also talking about fund-raising.

greg

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
Yeah, it usually is, in that instance, although the circumstances are obviously very different, at least as far as it being a response to a natural disaster, anyhow (I know that your post here was TIC). I suppose that some argue that Musharraf should be regarded similarly to Mugabe, but not me.

Sportsmen can certainly be presumptuous, insensitive or indulgent though. The main thing here I guess is that Vaughan referenced "a chance to hopefully put a few smiles on some of their faces". I can't really see anything obnoxious about that at all, particularly given he's also talking about fund-raising.
It should be mentioned though that it is a double edged sword. Although the idea that Vaughan should be criticised for what he said is ridiculous, as a general debating point what would really help to put a "smile on their faces" would be for England to lose. Which i don't think he really wants to happen. For Pakistan to lose could just increase the misery. It wasn't the fact that West Indies were playing in the Champions Trophy that helped lift spirits in the Caribbean, it was the fact that they won.

Slow Love™

International Captain
greg said:
It should be mentioned though that it is a double edged sword. Although the idea that Vaughan should be criticised for what he said is ridiculous, as a general debating point what would really help to put a "smile on their faces" would be for England to lose. Which i don't think he really wants to happen.
Yeah, but he probably just knows that it will.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
EnglishRose said:
Insults....that's a laugh....Guys like Scaly piscine and tooextracool make insults galore and you say not a single word about them.....why cos they're English ?
I treat them with the appropriate method when I see insults which I feel deserve the treatment.

On this occasion there is a moderator already here so there is no need to use those methods.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
EnglishRose said:
Where's the hint of racism ? Just cause I criticise what an English player says doesn't amount to racism.
No, it's not the criticism of Vaughan that's the racism, I'll leave it to you to see if you can work it out...

yohanna

Banned
greg said:
, as a general debating point what would really help to put a "smile on their faces" would be for England to lose. Which i don't think he really wants to happen. For Pakistan to lose could just increase the misery. .
I don't think a defeat should be taken that way. India defeated Pak in Pak, and i believe the crowd that came to see the match were still smiling and cheering the Indians.A good positive cricket by English team should always be appreciated.

However right now the nation is in a state of shock, and i don't think much ppl will turn to stadium to watch cricket match.