• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Frank Worrell Trophy - Favourite Of The 90s?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well now that the Super Series is done and dusted, the next series coming up on Australian soil is the WI tour. Now whilst the WI team obviously haven't been the force they were in years gone by, I still always look forward to the Frank Worrell Trophy specifically for the epic battles both teams had in the 90s with the 92/93 series being one of my first cricketing memories. I know there is already a WI in Aus official tour thread, but this is more based around a specific decade of cricket rather than the actual tour coming up. ;)

I've got the 91, 92/93, 95, 96/97 and 98/99 series highlights all on DVD which I often watch when I feel the need to watch some great cricket. The reason I've picked this decade specifically is other than being the most recent time when both teams were very competitive, it (to me anyway) signified the change in test cricket with Australia finally beating in 95 after close battles in 91 and 92/93.

Another reason why this decade stands out to me is because there was never more than 1 test match in it. 2-1 WI in 91, 2-1 WI in 92/93, 2-1 Aus in 95, 3-2 Aus in 96/97 and 2-2 in 98/99. Obviously in 2000/01 there was the 5-0 drubbing going Australia's way, and in 2003 Aus won 3-1 with only the record-breaking WI run chase in the dead rubber test (oh and the McGrath/Sarwan incident :p) really memorable.

I was wondering for those that remember these great battles, or have watched highlights and read about it years after, which series was your particular favourite? And what specific moments and performances do you recall when you think about that series?

chalky

International Debutant
Lara's 3 consecutive centuries in ther 1999 series will always live with me - the greatest display of batting I have ever seen. The 153 @ Barbados was out of this world especially as Lara came out to boos for sending in a night watchman. By the end though he was chaired off the ground. I know a lot of people talk about the Edgbaston test as being the greatest they ever but for me this one was better in terms of quality probably equal on drama.

parisa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Steve Waugh’s 199 in the 3rd test during the 1999 series in West Indies…it was such a gritty innings…and Australia ended up losing that match by 1 wicket I think. Also the West Indian batting collapse in the 1st test where they were bowled out for like 50 runs in the 2nd innings by McGrath and co. The rest of it is a blur…it was such a long time ago! :happy:

chalky

International Debutant
parisa said:
Steve Waugh’s 199 in the 3rd test during the 1999 series in West Indies…it was such a gritty innings…and Australia ended up losing that match by 1 wicket I think. Also the West Indian batting collapse in the 1st test where they were bowled out for like 50 runs in the 2nd innings by McGrath and co. The rest of it is a blur…it was such a long time ago! :happy:
I can post a link to the scorecards if it will refresh your memory :D

Your right about Waugh's innings outstanding wasn't he injured aswell & have mark running for him?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
The 92-93 series for me.

I watched every ball of Lara's 277 .....it was brilliant.
And who can forget the nailbiter at Adelaide.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 1998/99 series is far and away one of the best between any opposition, let alone West Indies and Australia. The West Indies came in off a 5-0/6-1 thrashing in South Africa and were humiliated in the first Test match. Lara was on probation as captain and entered the second Test of the probation under immense pressure. He responded with a majestic double hundred, stealing the game away from Australia. Australia hit back in the next Test and looked to be pressing home to securing the series, until Lara's brilliance came to the fore once more - the finest Test innings I've seen. The West Indies found themselves in the rare position of entering the final Test of a series with an opportunity to win it. Lara blazed a century at more than a run-a-ball, but Australia eventually siezed command of the Test and salvaged the series. Brilliant.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i've got all these DVD's as well but i've only seen the 99 series live & the battle between McGrath & Lara their is one of my best early cricket memmories no doubt......

Slifer

International Captain
The 1992/93 series in Australia was the first full series that i watched live and my greatest memory was the one run victory of the WI in the 4th test. Then Ambrose and Bishop followed that up with a demolition job of Australia at Perth. To this day i still wonder what the curators at Perth were thinking. They virtually prepared Perth to be a home away from home wicket for the WI seamers.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
aussie said:
i've got all these DVD's as well but i've only seen the 99 series live & the battle between McGrath & Lara their is one of my best early cricket memmories no doubt......
Where do you get DVD's of those series? I can't find 'em anywhere!

Adelaide '92/93. One Run. I cried. 'Nuff said.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
I've got the 91, 92/93, 95, 96/97 and 98/99 series highlights all on DVD which I often watch when I feel the need to watch some great cricket.
Where did you get these on DVD? I've been looking for some good cricket DVDs, but can't find more than the usual Ind v Aus 01, Ashes etc. Do you know of any websites/stores where I can find cricket videos and DVDs?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
95 is probably the best for me, mostly because it's such an wonderful series for a fan of Australian cricket, particularly for Steve Waugh and Glenn McGrath, as it defined both their careers in one way or another. 92/93 was quite amazing well

It's interesting that two individual duals (Waugh vs Ambrose and Lara vs McGrath) so dominated 90s cricket between the teams.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SquidAU said:

dont know where my uncle who is a windies fan got them fan got them from but i think he bought them off the net off www.cricketvideos.com

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I really enjoyed the 1998/99 series. The 1995 series was historic but for having watched he 98/99 series much more live - while it was occuring and it being a special series, it holds a dearer place.

The quality of the cricket played by Lara in that series, specially the inning which many including me regard as his signature inning, would alone make the series special.

The fact that the series was keenly contested and made even neutrals like me follow it with passion - when not many expected Windies to give as much fight as they managed made the series special.

Only test match cricket can create such drama, such spectacle.

parisa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
chalky said:
I can post a link to the scorecards if it will refresh your memory :D

Your right about Waugh's innings outstanding wasn't he injured aswell & have mark running for him?
Thanks a lot for that offer…that’s really so sweet of you! :) But after reading this thread I checked out the archives last night because I was really interested…it was such a great series! Yeah I think Steve Waugh got injured during his innings but there was no mention of that in the match reports.Ponting also gave a gutsy performance during that innings with Waugh after he came in as a late replacement for Greg Blewett…great stuff!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SquidAU said:

Dasa said:
Where did you get these on DVD? I've been looking for some good cricket DVDs, but can't find more than the usual Ind v Aus 01, Ashes etc. Do you know of any websites/stores where I can find cricket videos and DVDs?
I do. An awesome selection to choose from, but the prices are a bit dear and when you add postage it gets a bit too much. I cashed out myself because of how much I loved the Frank Worrell Trophy battles of the past. The link is:

http://www.cricketvideo.com/

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
I do. An awesome selection to choose from, but the prices are a bit dear and when you add postage it gets a bit too much. I cashed out myself because of how much I loved the Frank Worrell Trophy battles of the past. The link is:

Ahhh thank you very much. I've been looking for some good cricket DVDs for a while.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Jono said:

I take it those prices are in US dollars?

But, you're right, what a selection! Time to save some moulah and get me some of those DVD's!