• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Kenya deserve Test Status ?

Does Kenya deserve Test status

• Kenya deserves consideration of Test Status

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Zimbabwe does not deserve retaining its Test status

Votes: 20 64.5%

• Total voters

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/story/222154.html

and the link to their previous success by an innings -

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/story/221794.html

Does Kenya deserve Test Status, if they can continue on and beat Zim or does Zim get kicked out ?

Knowing how politically notted the Zimbabwe issue is, its highly unlikely that they would lose out on Test status.

But considering how easily Bangladesh were gifted Test status, IMO Kenya have done more than either of these countries to deserve Test Status , if the same argument put forward in granting Test status to those 2 were carried forward .

Here's a poll.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Right now, Zimbabwe doesn't deserve test status, but it is a big step to strip a nation of it. Kenya actually isn't far off having the talent to compete, they just need a more reliable cricketing infrastructure and they'd be a good candidate.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Right now, Zimbabwe doesn't deserve test status, but it is a big step to strip a nation of it. Kenya actually isn't far off having the talent to compete, they just need a more reliable cricketing infrastructure and they'd be a good candidate.
Agree that domestic infrastructure is a necessity. They also had an internal split within its cricket board not too long ago.

But Zimbabwe and Bangladesh did not have a proper domestic setup before gaining Test status. Zimbabwe only had 3 or 4 First Class teams and a few clubs playing cricket at the Time of Test status and Bangladesh was similar . Kenya does have a proper club structure from what I have read with reasonably talented cricketers .

But I feel sorry for the Kenyans because no one seems to want to advance their case or promote them .

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know much about the politics of the various countries, but my impression (which could easily be wrong) is that Kenya as a whole is a lot more unsettled than Bangladesh. With Kenya you'd never quite be sure if you scheduled something in 6 months time whether you'd get their strongest team, whether some internal cricketing dispute would happen (or worse a political one) and it'd have to be rescheduled or a second XI would turn up like with Zimbabwe or what. I think this is what has worked against Kenya and the fact that there is already a Zimbabwe and Bangladesh the latest new side is still so weak.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
JASON said:
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/story/222154.html

and the link to their previous success by an innings -

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/story/221794.html

Does Kenya deserve Test Status, if they can continue on and beat Zim or does Zim get kicked out ?

Knowing how politically notted the Zimbabwe issue is, its highly unlikely that they would lose out on Test status.

But considering how easily Bangladesh were gifted Test status, IMO Kenya have done more than either of these countries to deserve Test Status , if the same argument put forward in granting Test status to those 2 were carried forward .

Here's a poll.
You do realise that this is Zimbabwe A they are playing, not Zimbabwe...

Blaze

Banned
Hopefully in 10 years Bangladesh are actually competing. I think they will get there eventually. It is just a matter of being patient.

As for Kenya, I don't really know enough about their situation to comment, although having 3 weak teams in ZIM, BAN and Kenya would make test cricket very weak. I don't think anyone can be considered until Bangladesh are firmly on their feet.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
if the aim is to increase the number of test playing countries, kenya deserves a go...as it is we already have two teams that are really not test-calibre at all, but they are persisted with in the expectation that they might improve sometime in the future....why not apply the same logic to kenya? while we are at it, let's pull all the other minnows into the fray as well....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
I don't think anyone can be considered until Bangladesh are firmly on their feet.
why? is there a rule that there can be only one whipping boy in test cricket at any given time?

Blaze

Banned
Anil said:
why? is there a rule that there can be only one whipping boy in test cricket at any given time?

Well at the moment there are actually 2 and having a third would make test cricket a joke IMO.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anil said:
so two is not a joke and three is?
When Bangladesh were promoted, Zimbabwe were not a joke at all though.

In fact, they were really showing signs of taking the next step.

Blaze

Banned
Anil said:
so two is not a joke and three is?

It is pretty simple mate, I never said the situation at the moment is ideal, but giving a third weak team test status and watching them get thrashed in every game is just pointless and doesn't give cricket a good look.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The ICC needs to be wary of promoting another minnow, but if you're talking about replacing Kenya for Zimbabwe, I'd be all for it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
How about Kenya play 4 Day games against the top 8 nations' A teams and then we can see how good they are and can get a idea if they can complete in Test Matches against the top teams.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Prince EWS said:
You do realise that this is Zimbabwe A they are playing, not Zimbabwe...
If you read the cricinfo article you will find that this was pretty much Zim's current top side including Heath Streak that played against Kenya and lost !!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
It is pretty simple mate, I never said the situation at the moment is ideal, but giving a third weak team test status and watching them get thrashed in every game is just pointless and doesn't give cricket a good look.
flat pitches, drastically declining bowling standards, promotion of slam-bang mutations of cricket, incredibly below-average minnow sides etc are not exactly giving cricket a great look right now(the recently concluded ashes was an exception in a lot of ways of course...)....if popularization of cricket and expansion of cricket beyond the few who play it seriously right now is what the icc has in mind, it will not really worsen the situation by pulling in some of the other weak teams as well...if the logic for persisting with zim and bang is that they will come good one day, the same logic can be extended to kenya as well....