• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Smith and Vaughan Saga

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ket.html?in_article_id=365435&in_page_id=1849

Graeme Smith suggested England captain Michael Vaughan would regret the revelations of on-field skirmishes in his new book after learning from experience.

World XI captain Smith advised players not to tell tales out of school after the first day of the Super Test at the SCG, during which he has Andrew Flintoff - who, according to Vaughan, he branded a "big baby" throughout last winter's tour of South Africa - and Steve Harmison under his charge.

There was plenty of animosity in England's 2-1 Test series success in South Africa and Vaughan revealed Smith called him "queer" on a regular basis.

The relationship was not helped when, during a fourth Test hearing into comments by Vaughan relating to the consistency of the umpires' decisions on bad light, Smith stood as a witness.

Smith, who detailed the sledging he received from the Australians on his debut in a magazine article three years ago, said: "It is sad when you take things that happen on the field off the field. You sometimes say things you regret.

"Sometimes things get said and done out in the middle. We are all playing for our countries and it is tough.

"Once you get to know one another you get on well, it is hard to judge people just on a cricket field.

"I was naive maybe talking about the Australians as a young guy. If I could have that time back I would not do the same thing. It's private what happens on the cricket field."

The thing I particularly like is the utter hypocrisy the loud-mouthed tosser displays by saying "It is sad when you take things that happen on the field off the field" - this is the person who tried to get Vaughan banned by being a witness against Vaughan. According to Vaughan's book, when Smith was being called as a witness to disprove Vaughan's comments about the South Africans asking for bad light, Vaughan said "Well, he did appeal for it" while Smith claimed he hadn't, insisting all he'd said was that his outfielders were struggling to pick up the ball... Apparently Vaughan calls Smith 'the Witness' now. Ironic that after all the names Smith has called the England players there are a plethora of a good names you could justifiably call him.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Hehe. The Daily Mail. The most anti-Rugby League paper ever imaginable. I'm not going anywhere near that link as a matter of principle

Pothas

steds said:
Hehe. The Daily Mail. The most anti-Rugby League paper ever imaginable. I'm not going anywhere near that link as a matter of principle
The daily mail tends to be the most anti everything paper.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
The thing I particularly like is the utter hypocrisy the loud-mouthed tosser displays by saying "It is sad when you take things that happen on the field off the field" - this is the person who tried to get Vaughan banned by being a witness against Vaughan. According to Vaughan's book, when Smith was being called as a witness to disprove Vaughan's comments about the South Africans asking for bad light, Vaughan said "Well, he did appeal for it" while Smith claimed he hadn't, insisting all he'd said was that his outfielders were struggling to pick up the ball... Apparently Vaughan calls Smith 'the Witness' now. Ironic that after all the names Smith has called the England players there are a plethora of a good names you could justifiably call him.
Yeah, I read about this yesterday at Foxsports. I think most of the Aussies aren't too fond of him after his "shocking expose" regarding their sledging, and I have little doubt this will make him even less-liked. Personally, I think that in this day and age, slanging somebody for being a "queer" (whether they are or not is irrelevant) is just going too far in terms of sledging. (I'm not that bothered about the "big baby" comments.) I see little difference between that kind of homophobic trash and racial vilification - I can't remember for sure, but hasn't Smith been accused of that as well?.

Blaze

Banned
Vaughan is a little sook. You get called all sorts on the cricket field. I am sure most international cricketers have been insulted in their time.

For example I saw that Dan Vettori said that he cops stick from Glenn McGrath and co for wearing glasses. '4 eyes' and so on. He just laughes it off though. Not a big deal IMO

Scaly piscine

Ah well, I don't really care whether the Aussies etc. like Vaughan. Vaughan couldn't even try to look as big a tit than Ponting (that tirade) or Smith (everything pretty much) anyway.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Ah well, I don't really care whether the Aussies etc. like Vaughan.
I was talking about Smith, not Vaughan. It was a reference to Smith's complaints about how the Aussies sledged him in his first test match.

I have no reason to assume that the Aussie players particularly dislike Vaughan.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think it's any great secret I'm not a big fan of Fat Gray, but really abusing someone as "queer" just isn't on in this day & age, is it? & for him to say what happens on a cricket pitch is private, well what cobblers. If one of our team racially abused (say) Ntini they'd be (rightly) vilified & would expect to be.

There does seem to be a double-standard where homophobic abuse is somehow more acceptable than racial abuse. Personally I'd like to see any abuser given the "Ian Roberts" treatment; the big fella could fight! Doubt many called him a puff twice! :D

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
the way vaughan looks sometimes annoys me.....

....but smith should really "STFU" 8-)