• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hodge will never play for Australia

Josh

International Regular
And it's an absolute disgrace!! He is one of the most talented players I've ever seen and I'm not just saying that as a biased Victorian I'm saying that as a cricket lover and I'm just shocked that this man, who has deserved a spot in either of the sides, test or one-day, for so long, is still unable to gain entry into the team.

I s'pose we'll just never know how good he would actually be against the best in the world. He might've failed miserably, I won't deny that, but he deserves a chance. He's been robbed again.

shaka

International Regular
Now imagine how MacGill feels, he must have a record for most 12th man calls in the history of cricket. One 12th man does not end your career.

Josh

International Regular
shaka said:
Now imagine how MacGill feels, he must have a record for most 12th man calls in the history of cricket. One 12th man does not end your career.
Has MacGill played test cricket?? Why yes, I think he has...

shaka

International Regular
but he has had heaps of 12th man / ignored for test matches. I see that a huge mistake and think highly of him as a match winner. How old is Hodge?

shaka

International Regular
he only just missed out of being picked for this one, im sure he'll have more chances.

cameeel

International Captain
But in MacGills case, he missed out because Australia has Shane Warne, who hasnt had a form-slump sufficient to warrant being dropped, and with the possible exception of the SCG, there's no Australian ground where 2 spinners are required, particularly 2 that bowl the same style of spin.

In Hodges case, there has been batsmen who have had slumps, i wont mention Martyn as that was only 1 series, but Matty Hayden went 12 months without a century, it's a point thats been debated ad nauseum, but surely he, or even Michael Clarke should have been dropped to make way for a batsman who has, over the last couple of years made 1000+ runs in a season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Brad Hodge could very well play for Australia. Hes not that far down the pecking order. One injury to one of the current batsmen, and hes in the side.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
dont like Hodge personally, never have, id much rather have Symonds back in the test side, or North or Rogers

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
age_master said:
dont like Hodge personally, never have, id much rather have Symonds back in the test side, or North or Rogers
Never rated North, and I definately dont rate Symonds as a test player, but I wouldnt argue with someone like Rogers, Hussey or Jacques over Hodge, especially since they can all open the batting as well as bat in the middle order.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
shaka said:
Brett Lee holds the record.

social

Josh said:
And it's an absolute disgrace!! He is one of the most talented players I've ever seen and I'm not just saying that as a biased Victorian I'm saying that as a cricket lover and I'm just shocked that this man, who has deserved a spot in either of the sides, test or one-day, for so long, is still unable to gain entry into the team.

I s'pose we'll just never know how good he would actually be against the best in the world. He might've failed miserably, I won't deny that, but he deserves a chance. He's been robbed again.
Like Lehmann (who should've played 100 tests), MacGill, etc Hodge's international career has been butchered.

BTW, why were Hodge and MacGill taken on the Ashes tour if there was never any intention to play them no matter how badly the people in front of them performed?

Why was Lewis given a contract and Clarke given a chance before him?

Honestly, I've given up trying to work out the Aus selectors.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hodge has suffered massively from the "inconsistent" tag he's had to wear from his performances throughout the mid-to-late 90's, after his amazing debut season. There are players who are a "class above" domestic level, and he's definently one of them. If he had have been in this situation three years ago (30-31 years of age, and on the periphery for a while now) instead of having just taken that next step, then he might have played matches. As is, he's going to be passed over as the selectors look for the next generation.

greg

International Debutant
social said:
Like Lehmann (who should've played 100 tests), MacGill, etc Hodge's international career has been butchered.

BTW, why were Hodge and MacGill taken on the Ashes tour if there was never any intention to play them no matter how badly the people in front of them performed?

Presumably Hodge was injury cover, and MacGill in anticipation of Old Trafford being a raging turner - he might have played there anyway had it not been for McGrath's injury.

social

vic_orthdox said:
Hodge has suffered massively from the "inconsistent" tag he's had to wear from his performances throughout the mid-to-late 90's, after his amazing debut season. There are players who are a "class above" domestic level, and he's definently one of them. If he had have been in this situation three years ago (30-31 years of age, and on the periphery for a while now) instead of having just taken that next step, then he might have played matches. As is, he's going to be passed over as the selectors look for the next generation.
Agreed but why pick him as a reserve? It's just a waste of a tour position if there has never been any intention to play him.

social

greg said:
Presumably Hodge was injury cover, and MacGill in anticipation of Old Trafford being a raging turner - he might have played there anyway had it not been for McGrath's injury.
Warne - 40 wickets

MacGill - best strike rate since 1900

Eng - hopeless vs spin

Aus seamers - out of form

Selectors = joke