• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hodge will never play for Australia

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
true but i reckon with all the technology around, along with his coach he can make the necessary adjustments in his technique to counter good attacks if he comes up againts any more in the future.
So the technology has only just come in then?

Josh

International Regular
And now he's been dropped from the squad for BRACKEN.

This is beyond a joke now.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poor Cheaty.

I don't think he deserves the treatment he's received. I guess someone's made up their mind that he's a one-day player - and a one-day player he will remain.

Does he own an Old English Sheepdog? If so, that's qualification enough. Can we have him?

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Josh said:
And now he's been dropped from the squad for BRACKEN.

This is beyond a joke now.
What makes anyone think Hodge can do any better than Katich or Clarke?

And Bracken was put in because the selectors pick a bowler in the 12 99% of the time during the Aussie summer. That and the fact that they are not particularly worried about Katich and Clarke's form now, are they? 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Erm, that the technology you refer to has been used for a fair while in Cricket coaching?
yea, but what i'm saying he's been in international cricket for a year had his high's & low's & now that he know's what his technical difficulties are he could use video's etc to try and correct it & counter any other good attacks that he will face in the future.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So if other sides have used to the technology to work out his faults, how come it's only now he's going to use it?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well so far the only team that have worked him out is england, and presumably WI & SA will use video footage of the ashes to try to exploit his weakness. I dont think he is now getting used to it, its probably that he hasn't found a way as yet to correct his flaw...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can someone please explain to me why the Aus selectors are no longer using ODIs to "blood" players for tests.

Hodge is a fine one-day player at domestic level AND is obviously in front of Martyn when it comes to test selection at present.

To me, it appears irrelevant to the selectors how many runs Martyn scores in ODIs with regards to potential test selection.

That being the case, give Hodge a go in this form of the game at least.

The selectors, despite including Hodge in most test squads, are obviously uncertain as to Hodge's ability to perform at the highest level as there have been ample opportunities to select him before now. That being the case, they should either select him for tests now, ease him into it via ODIs or discard him completely.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Can someone please explain to me why the Aus selectors are no longer using ODIs to "blood" players for tests.

Hodge is a fine one-day player at domestic level AND is obviously in front of Martyn when it comes to test selection at present.

To me, it appears irrelevant to the selectors how many runs Martyn scores in ODIs with regards to potential test selection.

That being the case, give Hodge a go in this form of the game at least.

The selectors, despite including Hodge in most test squads, are obviously uncertain as to Hodge's ability to perform at the highest level as there have been ample opportunities to select him before now. That being the case, they should either select him for tests now, ease him into it via ODIs or discard him completely.
Probably something to do with the World Cup in two years time, usually most countries only blood Test players in ODIs, in the first two years after a World Cup.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
I wouldn't call them handy, there more last option stuff, before you give the keeper a bowl.
Personally, I'd say they're very underused, a la Vaughan. Handy is a very appropriate term.