• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hodge will never play for Australia

howardj

International Coach
Josh said:
31 i think
Kind of says it all, really. I don't think it's in the interests of the team to choose 31 year old debutants. Somone like Watson - who incidentally has a better FC average than Hodge - adds more value to the team.

Shounak

Banned
I agree. Watson could well morph into the next Freddie.. Even Shane Watson..

The last thing Australia need right now are players over 30..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
BTW, why were Hodge and MacGill taken on the Ashes tour if there was never any intention to play them no matter how badly the people in front of them performed?
Ever heard of injuries?

Why was Lewis given a contract and Clarke given a chance before him?
Clark was already in England; Lewis was not.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hodge and Hussey, I think, have suffered from the same thing through the 90's; great start to domestic season after excellent, world-beating seasons in England, people and press demanding they be picked, average 30 for the rest of the season. Was almost like claockwork for a few seasons there. It's a big part of why their respective teams didn't feature highly on the Aussie domestic ladders in the 90's too and with Hodge finding some consistency for Vic, it's no surprise they've been a bit more than competitive for the last couple of seasons. Hodge is unlucky NOW, yes, but a few years ago, he wasn't playing at that same 'class-above' level often enough to knock Mark Waugh off his perch.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
someone mentioned Marcus North? he was absolutely awful at Lancs

Hodge did ok, his championship wasn't great he only made 2 scored of over 50 in 11 innings and one of those was a century on the fourth day of rain ruined match at Taunton against a pretty awful attack. In the twenty20 he was awesome

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
social said:
Agreed but why pick him as a reserve? It's just a waste of a tour position if there has never been any intention to play him.
Wasn't he already in England? It's hardly a waste of a tour spot if he doesn't need a plane ticket.

Josh

International Regular
Prince EWS said:
Ever heard of injuries?

Clark was already in England; Lewis was not.
Lewis was in England as 2 players from the team I play with (for which Lewis played with before District Cricket), went to visit him whilst they were on holiday there.

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
so even if hodge does well in domestic series cricket.........

his only hope of coming in is if, someone has an injury ???

*sigh*

then what if no one gets injured :/

Last edited:

chalky

International Debutant
Maison said:
so even if hodge does well in domestic series cricket.........

his only hope of coming in is if, someone has an injury ???

*sigh*

then what if no one gets injured :/
Do you think he is better than Katich. For me he is weakest batsmen in the current Aussie team.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
someone mentioned Marcus North? he was absolutely awful at Lancs

Hodge did ok, his championship wasn't great he only made 2 scored of over 50 in 11 innings and one of those was a century on the fourth day of rain ruined match at Taunton against a pretty awful attack. In the twenty20 he was awesome
jamee999 said:
Hodge had a fantastic year for us last year, hit a triple ton or two.
So a Australian abilty to play in England defines then as a Test Cricketer for Australia, even though most of their matches are played in Australia. 8-) I don't think the selectors place too much importance to a players form in County Cricket, as they shouldn't. The only time it comes into play is match fitness for overseas tours, for replacement players, i.e Stuart Clark.

On the topic at hand will Brad Hodge ever play for Australia, he will probably get a game in the next 12 months if a player gets injured or losses form. Australia don't generally cast away reserve batsmen they brought on numerous overseas tour. Martyn, Langer, Hayden, Lehmann and Katich all spent time as the the spare player on tours and generally weren't forgotten even though other players may have been playing well, whilst they were sitting in the dressing rooms.

Personal i fell that if some losses form or gets injured Phil Jaques should be the next in line. IMO the last thing Australia need is a 30odd player making his debut, when there is someone on par or slightly worse in the wings.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
So a Australian abilty to play in England defines then as a Test Cricketer for Australia, even though most of their matches are played in Australia. 8-) I don't think the selectors place too much importance to a players form in County Cricket, as they shouldn't. The only time it comes into play is match fitness for overseas tours, for replacement players, i.e Stuart Clark.
Personally I think that success in England doesn't make you, as the standard is generally low. But failure might break you, because if you're any good you'd hammer most county attacks (especially in Chelmsford where the pitch is flat and the ground is extremely small).

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:

On the topic at hand will Brad Hodge ever play for Australia, he will probably get a game in the next 12 months if a player gets injured or losses form. Australia don't generally cast away reserve batsmen they brought on numerous overseas tour. Martyn, Langer, Hayden, Lehmann and Katich all spent time as the the spare player on tours and generally weren't forgotten even though other players may have been playing well, whilst they were sitting in the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=5&k=dressing%20rooms" onmouseover="window.status='dressing rooms'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">dressing rooms</a>.

Personal i fell that if some losses form or gets injured Phil Jaques should be the next in line. IMO the last thing Australia need is a 30odd player making his debut, when there is someone on par or slightly worse in the wings.
I was just saying.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Who, unless he sorts out his technique, will come unstuck against decent attacks.
Lucky for him their is only one decent attack (England) and two potential ones in South Africa and a full strength Pakistan.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Lucky for him their is only one decent attack (England) and two potential ones in South Africa and a full strength Pakistan.
true but i reckon with all the technology around, along with his coach he can make the necessary adjustments in his technique to counter good attacks if he comes up againts any more in the future.

open365

International Vice-Captain
brag hodge is great from what ive seen in 2020.

but still to me the batting next in lines order is;

watson
hussey
hodge
symonds