• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13 overrated players of the last 20 odd years

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
I haven't got much time so I can't be bothered explaining why.

In no particular order:

Craig McDermott
Geoff Lawson
Shahid Afridi
Virender Sehwag
Courtney Walsh
Andy Flower
Heath Streak
Chris Gayle
Inzaman Ul-Haq
Shoaib Akhtar
Shaun Tait
Simon O'Donnell
Andrew Flintoff

Note1: There are plenty of ordinary players I would like to have picked but to qualify you have to be fairly highly regarded (by some) in the first place - it's a fine line. The more highly you are regarded, the more chance you are of making the list

Note 2: I don't care what their stats say

Note 3: I do not expect to cop any flak for the above

C_C

International Captain
What exactly is 'overrated' about Sehwag ( atleast in TESTS), Akhtar, Flower and Walsh ?

And i dont think streak is overrated - he is a solid bowler but not 'great' and i dont think anyone credits him as great.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Juz to explain myself, Hayden is good, but not as good as his average or some of his fans suggest. He is certainly amongst the most over rated regular international players I have seen. I mean, dropping Martyn for him was just brainless. And he got 15 tests to prove himself, whilst Martyn got 3. It seems the Aussie selectors over rate him as well. That is why he should be the most over rated player in the last decade. EVEN his selectors seem to overrate him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:
Juz to explain myself, Hayden is good, but not as good as his average or some of his fans suggest. He is certainly amongst the most over rated regular international players I have seen. I mean, dropping Martyn for him was just brainless. And he got 15 tests to prove himself, whilst Martyn got 3. It seems the Aussie selectors over rate him as well. That is why he should be the most over rated player in the last decade. EVEN his selectors seem to overrate him.
Hayden was retained over Martyn for one simple reason. Hayden opens the batting.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
M Hayden
J Langer
R Ponting
D Martyn
S Katich
M Clarke
A Gilchrist
M Kasprowicz
G McGrath
B Lee
J GIllespie
S Tait
S Warne(only joking)
P Patel :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Prince EWS said:
Hayden was retained over Martyn for one simply reason. Hayden opens the batting.
I don't really see why it makes a difference. They could have asked Katich to open the batting. Generally, the Aussie middle order players are all capable of handling pace bowling, as their wickets are such and I don't think it should be such a big issue, as it is in India.

nehrafan

Banned
C_C said:
What exactly is 'overrated' about Sehwag ( atleast in TESTS), Akhtar, Flower and Walsh ?

And i dont think streak is overrated - he is a solid bowler but not 'great' and i dont think anyone credits him as great.

Add Flintoff to the list, he's anything but overrated!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't really see why it makes a difference. They could have asked Katich to open the batting. Generally, the Aussie middle order players are all capable of handling pace bowling, as their wickets are such and I don't think it should be such a big issue, as it is in India.
That's not fair on Kat, though is it? In the last year, he's batted every position in the order BAR opening and I honestly think it's part of why he's not really cemented his spot; being shuffled up and down the batting order does little to settle a player into a team.

Anyway, you only have to look at Kat's nervous prods outside off-stump to Flintoff and Harmison to see why he should never open the batting in Tests.

Australia has tried experimenting with make-shift openers in the past and it's risky. Rarely comes off in fact. Justin Langer is one very rare (and excellent, it has to be said) exception. But then he has that 'full face of the bat to the bowler' technique whereas I don't think Kat plays quite as well in the V, particularly early in his innings.

nehrafan

Banned
I would say,

Hayden
Gyle
M Sami
Brett Lee
Rana Naveed
Danish Kaneria
Ganguly
Ajit Agarkar
Ajay Jadeja
Salim Malik
Ejaz Ahmad

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There are so many!

I will do it country wise

first India ofcourse

Parthiv Patel
Sanjay Manjrekar
K.Srikkanth
L.Balaji
S.Ganguly
V.V.S.Laxman (excellence is keeping on delivering good performances - not just brilliant talent)
J.Srinath
Robin Singh
Zaheer Khan
M.Dhoni (second Adam Gilchrist? Please)
Amit Bhandari (rated in some quarters)
A.Agarkar (can play as a one day player but is crap in first class/test cricket)
Sunil Joshi

Barney Rubble

International Coach
How on earth can Flintoff be over-rated when he's clearly the world's best all-rounder at the moment? You're suggesting he's not - which to be honest, means you don't have the faintest clue of what you're talking about. Add to that the fact you've got Andy Flower in there......... :dontgetit :thumbdown

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
There are so many!

I will do it country wise

first India ofcourse

Parthiv Patel
Sanjay Manjrekar
K.Srikkanth
L.Balaji
S.Ganguly
V.V.S.Laxman (excellence is keeping on delivering good performances - not just brilliant talent)
J.Srinath
Robin Singh
Zaheer Khan
M.Dhoni (second Adam Gilchrist? Please)
Amit Bhandari (rated in some quarters)
A.Agarkar (can play as a one day player but is crap in first class/test cricket)
Sunil Joshi
  1. Agreed- there's nothing great about his batting either.
  2. Oh brother.....he gave 'occupying the crease' a whole new meaning!
  3. Not too bad- at least he was effective when things were a lot tougher than in Sehwag's time.
  4. Dreadful with the new ball, effective when it's old.
  5. Definitely. Highly over-rated, especially in ODI's.
  6. Sometimes, it can be a fault of leadership too.
  7. Lacked commitment, and again a fault of leadership- not to mention Kapil and Prabhakar stayed on too long, keeping him out.
  8. He was good enough for India, and a far better team player than those playing for India after he was dropped.
  9. Again, lack of leadership has weakened him. Sad to see such a talented bowler go down the wayside.
  10. Good enough for India, but needs to sharpen his keeping.
  11. Worth a try. Did well in England, in seaming conditions, while those who disappointed played for India later on.
  12. Excessively over-rated, even in ODI's. One look at his final average will tell you why India haven't won ODI tournaments in the last five years when he has figured.
  13. Lazy, lazy, lazy!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why was Robin Singh overrated Pratyush? I felt he was a very solid performer who was respected by Indian fans because of what he did for the team. He wasn't rated as a great or anything close to one.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
sqwerty said:
I haven't got much time so I can't be bothered explaining why.

In no particular order:

Craig McDermott
Virender Sehwag
Courtney Walsh
Andy Flower
Inzaman Ul-Haq
Shoaib Akhtar
Shaun Tait
Andrew Flintoff
gimme good reasons why these men are overrated?

shaka

International Regular
Ul Haq, Walsh and McDermott are not overrated , all have tremendous records to prove it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:
Katich wouldnt be a bad choice to fill in opening for a game or two, but I dont think the selectors see him as an option for a permanent opening spot.

If Hayden was a middle order batsman, he definately would have got the axe before Martyn.