• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 in Commonwealth games

Natman20

International Debutant
'The ICC has been contacted by the organisers of the 2010 Commonwealth Games, to be held in Delhi, to ask for cricket to again be included in the games. Reports suggest that if the ICC agree, it will be a Twenty20 tournament rather than a full limited-overs one.'

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/221570.html

That would be good. The Twenty20 tournament would have many people interested

Natman20

International Debutant
I wonder how many teams would be involved?
England, Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe, minnows???

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think South Africa are still involved in the Commonwealth Games even though they are now a republic, think they won gold in Cricket in the 98 games? Think it was 8s or something.

Natman20

International Debutant
Does anyone think we should have a Twenty20 world cup maybe half way in between the ODI world cups? I think also that maybe teams could play more than one Twenty20 in all of the cricket series.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
It's decent idea IMO. Hopefully it will help to promote in weaker cricketing nations

Natman20

International Debutant
burkey_1988 said:
It's decent idea IMO. Hopefully it will help to promote in weaker cricketing nations
There are countries like U.S.A that could have huge potential in terms of getting a large number of people interested in the game and playing it and also producing a world class team that could compete. I'm not sure that just having tournaments in commonwealth games would do that though, there needs to be more publicity to grow the game larger involving more countries. Although there are a lot of countries playing cricket as it is.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Natman20 said:
Does anyone think we should have a Twenty20 world cup maybe half way in between the ODI world cups?
I think that would be a good idea yes instead of the ICC trophy. I would prefer to see it there then in the comenwealth games ive never really aproved of big sports like cricket and football being envolved in such things, they tend not to be taken seriously and rather debalue the events that are great for gettting minoriy sport into the headlines for a while

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Natman20 said:
I wonder how many teams would be involved?
England, Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe, minnows???
Not Zimbabwe but SA, India, Pakistan, SL and Bangladesh all compete in the CG. Add Namibia, Scotland, Canada and say 5 Carribean countries gives 16, or 4 groups of 4

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Out of the 16 countries that have ODI status only Zimbabwe, Holland and Ireland (but they took part in the last one as Northern Ireland) don't take part in the Commonwealth Games. But the biggest problem with having cricket in CGs is getting the top players and desiding which Carribean countries to play. It would be good to have it in their if they can get the top players and have a better way of deciding the West Indies teams.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I can't see it working unless the top players go..

EDIT: Where did vic's post go? :-O

Last edited:

Natman20

International Debutant
I don't really agree with it being in the commonwealth games. It just doesn't seem right amongst all the running and athletics etc. It sure beats having no Twenty20 tournament though. I'm not sure the ICC will agree to it or not anyway

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Natman20 said:
I don't really agree with it being in the commonwealth games. It just doesn't seem right amongst all the running and athletics etc. It sure beats having no Twenty20 tournament though. I'm not sure the ICC will agree to it or not anyway
Well, if you've got crap like synchronised swimming in there, I don't see how a bit of cricket matters.

Should be great in my opinion, it's just a pity that most countries who take part in the Commonwealth Games already play cricket

greg

International Debutant
Cricket has been in the Commonwealth games before.

Biggest problems I can see are the Caribbean countries (and that Simon Jones couldn't play for England ;-))

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Cricket has developed most amongst the commonwealth nations.

Cricket would have a very good audience in Delhi, India - a cricket crazy city like any other in the country.

So I dont see any reason why a tournament such as Twenty20 should not be included.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
i dont think attracting big players will be a problem here is the 1998 aussie cricket team frome the commonwealth games
Team Members

Adam Gilchrist
Andy Bichel
Brad Young
Brendon Julian
Damien Fleming
Damien Martin
Darren Bicknell
Darren Lehmann
Gavin Robertson
Mark Waugh
Michael Bevan
Michael Kasprowicz
Ricky Ponting
Steve Waugh
Tom Moody

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What about the teams that India, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Pakistan sent, not really full of stars. Add to that England didn't even send a side, it might be a harder task then you might think.