• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player of the Year awards

Shoaib

Banned
GladiatrsInBlue said:
It would have been good if there were awards for players that haven't been doing great in Cricket. Like poorest player of the year, poorest test cricketer of the year, undeserving test cap earner of the year and chucker of the year.I have fair ideas as to who would have been the winners in such competition of losers :p
There r some other awards who also should've been there.

Best performer against weak teams i.e Bangladesh & Zimbabwe
Irfan Pathan

Most incapable Captain
Saurav Ganguly

Poorest test cricketer of the year
Saurav Ganguly

Chucker of the year
Harbhajan Singh

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
So which would you say deserve to be in any of the categories - the only one I could think would be Marhsall in the emerging, but I'm not sure if he meets the criteria.
I would have thought Vettori for ODI's

His last 15 ODI's since the start of the 2004/2005 season against Australia though to the latest oneday series for the world are..

15 245 83 30.62 0 1 21 4/33 26.09

His bowling economy rate in those 15 matches was an incredible 3.65 per over.

Not to mention 9 of the 15 games were against Australia.

His stats in the last 12 months are even more impressive .....

20 307 83 34.11 0 1 31 4/33 22.03

I would have thought the above stats are an argument in themselves

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
zinzan12 said:
I would have thought Vettori for ODI's

His last 15 ODI's since the start of the 2004/2005 season against Australia though to the latest oneday series for the world are..

15 245 83 30.62 0 1 21 4/33 26.09

His bowling economy rate in those 15 matches was an incredible 3.65 per over.

Not to mention 9 of the 15 games were against Australia.

His stats in the last 12 months are even more impressive .....

20 307 83 34.11 0 1 31 4/33 22.03

I would have thought the above stats are an argument in themselves

He deserved a nomination but wouldn't win..

Barney Rubble

International Coach
NZTailender said:
And I'll have to say KP but I really hope Aftab Ahmed gets it.
If Aftab does get it then it will be on the back of THAT shot, and nothing else. But then again, he won't get it.

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
nick-o said:
NOMINATIONS

Player of the Year
# Andrew Flintoff (England)
# Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pakistan)
# Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
# Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
# Glenn McGrath (Australia)

Test player of the year
# Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
# Shane Warne (Australia)

One-day player of the year
# Andrew Flintoff (England)
# Brett Lee (Australia)
# Kevin Pietersen (England)
# Andrew Symonds (Australia)

Emerging player of the year
# Aftab Ahmed (Bangladesh)
# Ian Bell (England)
# Dinesh Karthik (India)
# AB de Villiers (South Africa)
Player of the Year -Flintoff
Test Player of the Year-Shane Warne
One Day Player of the Year-Brett Lee
Emerging Player of the Year-KP

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Player of the Year

Test player of the year

One-day player of the year

Emerging player of the year
# AB de Villiers (South Africa)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well Pietersen has snatched both the emerging player and ODI player of the year awards. Taufel has the umpire of the year for the 2nd year in a row.

ODI team of the year is: Marvan Attapattu (c) Adam Gilchrist, Rahul Dravid, Kevin Pietersen, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Andrew Flintoff, Andrew Symonds, Daniel Vettori, Brett Lee, Naved Rana and Glenn McGrath. Jacques Kallis is the 12th man.

Player of the year is yet to be mentioned.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Flintoff and Kallis joint players of the year, and Kallis outright Test player of the year. Fair enough, considering the majority of the Ashes fell outside of the voting period.

ODI team of the year as Jono posted, Test team as follows:

1. Virender Sehwag (India)
2. Graeme Smith (South Africa)
3. Ricky Ponting (capt, Australia)
4. Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
5. Brian Lara (West Indies)
6. Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pakistan)
7. Andrew Flintoff (England)
8. Adam Gilchrist (wk, Australia)
9. Shane Warne (Australia)
10. Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka)
11. Glenn McGrath (Australia)
12th man: Anil Kumble (India)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Congratulations to England on a near clean-sweep - they clearly dominated the shortlists and rightly so, given their performances over the past two years or so. And England got the Spirit of Cricket award, too - that's going to **** Ponting off no end, which is why I completely agree with the decision. :p

Last edited:

parisa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I was a little disappointed that Warne didn't win the Test player of the year award I thought he deserved it...his performance in the ashes was brilliant but then again most of the ashes series fell out of the time period for this award...which is kind of sad.But if whole of the ashes series was considered I'm sure Shane Warne would've won that award. The rest of it was fair enough...but I didn't get why Simon Taufel won the Umpire of the year award! Well I'll get to see what actually happened on tv tomorrow.

twctopcat

International Regular
parisa said:
I was a little disappointed that Warne didn't win the Test player of the year award I thought he deserved it...his performance in the ashes was brilliant but then again most of the ashes series fell out of the time period for this award...which is kind of sad.But if whole of the ashes series was considered I'm sure Shane Warne would've won that award. The rest of it was fair enough...but I didn't get why Simon Taufel won the Umpire of the year award! Well I'll get to see what actually happened on tv tomorrow.
Agreed on Warne but hopefully he will get it next year with the ashes taken into account. I can definitely see how Taufel won however, the best IMO!