• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
ummmm.....let me think.......because zinc generally prevents you from getting sunburnt and I consider it to be low risk in that environment?

archie mac

International Coach
sqwerty said:
ummmm.....let me think.......because zinc generally prevents you from getting sunburnt and I consider it to be low risk in that environment?
Very superstition people cricketers. The great VT Trumper had a morbid fear of seeing a priest before he went out to bat, he was sure he would be out for a duck.

Last edited:

Shounak

Banned
It's his distinctive trademarked look.. I used to always wear my broad brimmed hat out in the field, without it I felt naked. Symonds probably does it just out of habit and because he likes it.

It may also reduce some of the glare from the lights? But it's similar to people who wear hats and sunnies indoors as fashion accesories. You could possibly say the same about a belt, with perfectly fitting pants..

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I wear zinc on the cricket field all the time. Nothing about protecting me from the sun at all, I just think it looks good

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sqwerty said:
But why does it matter?
Why can't he wear zinc if he wants to?
Why does it have to be anything about preventing sunburn?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
southern man said:
Any chance it could be used to rub on the ball, so he could keep the shiney side just the little bit more shiney?
Or he just wears it because its a superstition.

But whatever floats your boat.

cameeel

International Captain
southern man said:
Any chance it could be used to rub on the ball, so he could keep the shiney side just the little bit more shiney?
I doubt it, it's probably illegal given the hysteria over ball tampering

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A la Chanderpaul and the eye-stickers.
(Though I haven't seen him recently and am unaware if he's taken them off)

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
Superstition (sp).
Habit.

Same as Mark Waugh always wearing a helmut even though he was facing two spinners.

Players go through the same routine getting ready for a match regardless where it is.

greg

International Debutant
mavric41 said:
Habit.

Same as Mark Waugh always wearing a helmut even though he was facing two spinners.

Players go through the same routine getting ready for a match regardless where it is.
Some people always wear helmets because they play the sweep shot

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
sqwerty said:
Still trying to work out why he has to wear zinc in an indoor stadium with the roof closed.
still trying to work out why people wear a hat when they play inside

honestly sqwerty could there be anything less unimportant to talk about.

Shounak

Banned
Slats4ever said:
still trying to work out why people wear a hat when they play inside

honestly sqwerty could there be anything less unimportant to talk about.
Gets rid of the bright lights in your peripheral vision.. It's like the sun's always up and pointing at every bit of the round..