Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard's First Chance Average theory

Richard's First Chance Average theory

Feel free to discuss.. This may stop this topic from spilling over into other threads..

Should fighters start brawling outside of this ring, the ref should drag both fighters back in.

Good opportunity to silence your critics Richard.. Go nuts..

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Let me assure you, the thing has been done to death - very few realise that from the perspective of the batsman's ability there is no difference between a chance that is dropped and one that is caught.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Let me assure you, the thing has been done to death - very few realise that from the perspective of the batsman's ability there is no difference between a chance that is dropped and one that is caught.
    Go ahead and create robots who can bowl like you would like them to too then. Because even bowlers bowl poorly and had it not been for the poor balls, the batsmen would have scored less.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    It definetely have some reason to it. That's all I'm saying
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Uhh.. thanks for the input..

Richard, whilst I see your point, I think you've just got to accept that "missed chances" are part of the game and luck is a factor, and if two batsmen are dropped on 5, and one is able to score 100 runs and the other just 10, you're saying there's no difference between their ability? What if this continues happening?
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

I actually pretty much agree with it.

What's the actual theory ?

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    It`s alright, but pretty picky.
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    what defines a chance?
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho
    Uhh.. thanks for the input..

Richard, whilst I see your point, I think you've just got to accept that "missed chances" are part of the game and luck is a factor, and if two batsmen are dropped on 5, and one is able to score 100 runs and the other just 10, you're saying there's no difference between their ability? What if this continues happening?
    the two main problems I have with it are:
    a) what is a chance? Sounds like an easy quetion to answer, but it is purely subjective.
    b) No credit is given to the batsman who may have been dropped on 0 and then goes on to score 250

It also doesnt take into consideration things like and edge through the slips when there are no slips...is that potentially a chance missed by the opposition captain..
    or what about a batsman taking a wild slog and the ball lands 20 yards from the nearest fielder..does that go down as a chance in that the ball could have ended up anywhere.

It also doesnt factor in a player who may in fact chance his arm on a shot he plays particularly well and plays it hard..ie Gilchrist who cuts as hard as anyone, and I am sure he takes a calculated risk when playing them, in that if he hits it hard enough, it may well go in the air to a fielder, but because of the sheer velocity of the ball, it makes it a damned hard catch

its little things like that that erode away at the validity of teh First chance average theory.

that, and also ridiculous comments like Trescothick was dismissed under 50 every inning in the Ashes, when in fact he scored 3 50s
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    the two main problems I have with it are:
    a) what is a chance? Sounds like an easy quetion to answer, but it is purely subjective.
    b) No credit is given to the batsman who may have been dropped on 0 and then goes on to score 250

It also doesnt take into consideration things like and edge through the slips when there are no slips...is that potentially a chance missed by the opposition captain..
    or what about a batsman taking a wild slog and the ball lands 20 yards from the nearest fielder..does that go down as a chance in that the ball could have ended up anywhere.

It also doesnt factor in a player who may in fact chance his arm on a shot he plays particularly well and plays it hard..ie Gilchrist who cuts as hard as anyone, and I am sure he takes a calculated risk when playing them, in that if he hits it hard enough, it may well go in the air to a fielder, but because of the sheer velocity of the ball, it makes it a damned hard catch

its little things like that that erode away at the validity of teh First chance average theory.

that, and also ridiculous comments like Trescothick was dismissed under 50 every inning in the Ashes, when in fact he scored 3 50s
    Brilliant post Swervy.

Having said that, I definitely do not think this theory is even remotely as ridiculous as the 'I know more about Flintoff than he does himself' claim.
    Last edited by a massive zebra; 10-10-2005 at 03:36 AM.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Go ahead and create robots who can bowl like you would like them to too then. Because even bowlers bowl poorly and had it not been for the poor balls, the batsmen would have scored less.
    There are far, far more poor deliveries bowled than catches dropped.
    And, more significantly, there's several hundred deliveries bowled for even every catch offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho
    Of course missed chances are part of the game - regrettable, but there we are.
    And of course there's a difference - which is why it's - perhaps - better to use the two averages (first-chance and all-chance) together rather than just the first-chance one.

Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    Brilliant post Swervy.

Having said that, I definitely do not think this theory is even remotely as ridiculous as the 'I know more about Flintoff than he does himself' claim.
    hehehe..well that goes without saying

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    There are far, far more poor deliveries bowled than catches dropped.
    And, more significantly, there's several hundred deliveries bowled for even every catch offered.
    several balls bowled for every catch offered??? Is that right?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information