Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 91

Thread: Richard's First Chance Average theory

  1. #1
    Banned Shounak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,520

    Richard's First Chance Average theory

    Feel free to discuss.. This may stop this topic from spilling over into other threads..

    Should fighters start brawling outside of this ring, the ref should drag both fighters back in.

    Good opportunity to silence your critics Richard.. Go nuts..

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Let me assure you, the thing has been done to death - very few realise that from the perspective of the batsman's ability there is no difference between a chance that is dropped and one that is caught.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  3. #3
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Let me assure you, the thing has been done to death - very few realise that from the perspective of the batsman's ability there is no difference between a chance that is dropped and one that is caught.
    Go ahead and create robots who can bowl like you would like them to too then. Because even bowlers bowl poorly and had it not been for the poor balls, the batsmen would have scored less.

  4. #4
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,856
    It definetely have some reason to it. That's all I'm saying
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.


  5. #5
    Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Testing Forums into the Sunset
    Posts
    8,440
    Uhh.. thanks for the input..

    Richard, whilst I see your point, I think you've just got to accept that "missed chances" are part of the game and luck is a factor, and if two batsmen are dropped on 5, and one is able to score 100 runs and the other just 10, you're saying there's no difference between their ability? What if this continues happening?
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

  6. #6
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    I actually pretty much agree with it.

  7. #7
    Cricketer Of The Year Burpey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,584
    What's the actual theory ?

  8. #8
    You'll Never Walk Alone Nate's Avatar
    Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    27,070
    It`s alright, but pretty picky.
    Jesus saves

    member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    what defines a chance?
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  10. #10
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho
    Uhh.. thanks for the input..

    Richard, whilst I see your point, I think you've just got to accept that "missed chances" are part of the game and luck is a factor, and if two batsmen are dropped on 5, and one is able to score 100 runs and the other just 10, you're saying there's no difference between their ability? What if this continues happening?
    the two main problems I have with it are:
    a) what is a chance? Sounds like an easy quetion to answer, but it is purely subjective.
    b) No credit is given to the batsman who may have been dropped on 0 and then goes on to score 250

    It also doesnt take into consideration things like and edge through the slips when there are no slips...is that potentially a chance missed by the opposition captain..
    or what about a batsman taking a wild slog and the ball lands 20 yards from the nearest fielder..does that go down as a chance in that the ball could have ended up anywhere.

    It also doesnt factor in a player who may in fact chance his arm on a shot he plays particularly well and plays it hard..ie Gilchrist who cuts as hard as anyone, and I am sure he takes a calculated risk when playing them, in that if he hits it hard enough, it may well go in the air to a fielder, but because of the sheer velocity of the ball, it makes it a damned hard catch

    its little things like that that erode away at the validity of teh First chance average theory.

    that, and also ridiculous comments like Trescothick was dismissed under 50 every inning in the Ashes, when in fact he scored 3 50s
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  11. #11
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    the two main problems I have with it are:
    a) what is a chance? Sounds like an easy quetion to answer, but it is purely subjective.
    b) No credit is given to the batsman who may have been dropped on 0 and then goes on to score 250

    It also doesnt take into consideration things like and edge through the slips when there are no slips...is that potentially a chance missed by the opposition captain..
    or what about a batsman taking a wild slog and the ball lands 20 yards from the nearest fielder..does that go down as a chance in that the ball could have ended up anywhere.

    It also doesnt factor in a player who may in fact chance his arm on a shot he plays particularly well and plays it hard..ie Gilchrist who cuts as hard as anyone, and I am sure he takes a calculated risk when playing them, in that if he hits it hard enough, it may well go in the air to a fielder, but because of the sheer velocity of the ball, it makes it a damned hard catch

    its little things like that that erode away at the validity of teh First chance average theory.

    that, and also ridiculous comments like Trescothick was dismissed under 50 every inning in the Ashes, when in fact he scored 3 50s
    Brilliant post Swervy.

    Having said that, I definitely do not think this theory is even remotely as ridiculous as the 'I know more about Flintoff than he does himself' claim.
    Last edited by a massive zebra; 10-10-2005 at 03:36 AM.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Go ahead and create robots who can bowl like you would like them to too then. Because even bowlers bowl poorly and had it not been for the poor balls, the batsmen would have scored less.
    There are far, far more poor deliveries bowled than catches dropped.
    And, more significantly, there's several hundred deliveries bowled for even every catch offered.

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho
    Richard, whilst I see your point, I think you've just got to accept that "missed chances" are part of the game and luck is a factor, and if two batsmen are dropped on 5, and one is able to score 100 runs and the other just 10, you're saying there's no difference between their ability? What if this continues happening?
    Of course missed chances are part of the game - regrettable, but there we are.
    And of course there's a difference - which is why it's - perhaps - better to use the two averages (first-chance and all-chance) together rather than just the first-chance one.

  14. #14
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    Brilliant post Swervy.

    Having said that, I definitely do not think this theory is even remotely as ridiculous as the 'I know more about Flintoff than he does himself' claim.
    hehehe..well that goes without saying

  15. #15
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    There are far, far more poor deliveries bowled than catches dropped.
    And, more significantly, there's several hundred deliveries bowled for even every catch offered.
    several balls bowled for every catch offered??? Is that right?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best batsman after Lara and Sachin
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 178
    Last Post: 30-01-2005, 11:10 PM
  2. Australian Cricketers Rankings
    By Ford_GTHO351 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 12:37 AM
  3. Barry Richards...saddest story ever in cricket?
    By scud101 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 03:05 PM
  4. An Error in average calculations??
    By Sriram k in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14-10-2002, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •