• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FC cricket around the world.Attendances.

open365

International Vice-Captain
What is the state of domestic scenes arund the world in terms of attedences?

in England the 4 day game seems to be largely ignored, is this just and english thing?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
An Aussie thing as well pretty much, no TV coverage or big attendances from what I've been to.

ING Cup is of course a different story.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Domestic-First-Class-cricket is not and can never again be a mass entertainment. Hasn't been since about the 1950s.
And anyone trying to get it to be so again is wasting their time and, more worryingly, their money.
Test-matches and one-day cricket are the spectator branches of the game - plus, obviously, the relatively-new 20-over stuff. Domestic-one-dayers, especially day\night games, clearly have potential and energies should IMO be directed at maximising that. I've never taken a close look at ING\MM\whatever Cup attendances but would be interested if anyone knows of an average figure.

open365

SirBloody Idiot said:
An Aussie thing as well pretty much, no TV coverage or big attendances from what I've been to.

Pura Cup is of course a different story.
whats the format for the pura cup?

is it a knockout comp all the way?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
A hell of a lot better than Pura Cup does.

ING Cup doesn't really sell out the WACA a lot, but you get semi decent crowds.

All in all, Aussies don't go to a lot of domestic cricket, bar of course the Twenty20 v. Victoria last year, the WACA was sold out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, I wasn't expecting sell-outs - that's asking way too much for any domestic cricket. Even Twenty20 matches aren't sell-outs that often, even on tiny English grounds.
What sort of crowd figures are we talking for "semi-decent"?

howardj

International Coach
I think that's the best role for Twenty20 domestic cricket - to help subsidise the domestic FC game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yet the point I'm making is that that role could be performed by both Twenty20 Cups and the domestic-one-day game.

howardj

International Coach
Richard said:
Yet the point I'm making is that that role could be performed by both Twenty20 Cups and the domestic-one-day game.
For sure. Even though I love cricket, I can understand - especially considering that the Test players rarely turn out for their teams - why the public won't go along to domestic FC cricket. By contrast, the less 'cultured' cricket fan loves to see the ball flyin' around, regardless of who is playing - which is what you get in both Domestic One-Day games, and Twenty20.

open365

howardj said:
For sure. Even though I love cricket, I can understand - especially considering that the Test players rarely turn out for their teams - why the public won't go along to domestic FC cricket. By contrast, the less 'cultured' cricket fan loves to see the ball flyin' around, regardless of who is playing - which is what you get in both Domestic One-Day games, and Twenty20.
i think everyone loves to see the ball flying around.

i just don't believe in county cricket,i don't feel any loyalty to my nearest county.

its not like in rugby or football to me where i support my club more than country.

county cricket doesn't have any local derbys or anything,no fierce rivalrys with other clubs or anything.

the roses match?give me a break.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
county cricket doesn't have any local derbys or anything,no fierce rivalrys with other clubs or anything.

the roses match?give me a break.

:blink: you don't think the roses matches are fierce rivalries? have you been to OT at all against Yorkshire? do you have any Yorkie friends?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
:blink: you don't think the roses matches are fierce rivalries? have you been to OT at all against Yorkshire? do you have any Yorkie friends?
he couldn't have gone to a rose's clash or else he woudn't have said that :huh:

open365

aussie said:
he couldn't have gone to a rose's clash or else he woudn't have said that :huh:
there was an article in a cricket magazine about how boring it was....

aussie,how old are you?

i read one of your posts saying you went to lancs trials i think.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
i think everyone loves to see the ball flying around.

i just don't believe in county cricket,i don't feel any loyalty to my nearest county.

its not like in rugby or football to me where i support my club more than country.
And that is the point.
In football and to a lesser extent rugby (both codes) the domestic club is the drawcard and the international side is simply a "worthwhile extra". In cricket, for 50 years, the international teams have been the only serious drawcard, and the domestic game only maintained to keep this up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
For sure. Even though I love cricket, I can understand - especially considering that the Test players rarely turn out for their teams - why the public won't go along to domestic FC cricket.
What is, for me, interesting is that in the late 1970s in England it would have been perfectly possible to have Hants vs Somerset featuring Greenidge and Marshall against Botham, Richards and Garner.
Hardly anyone watched, even then.
For whatever reason, the domestic game is unwatchable - not just because it's played by moderate players on road pitches.