• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Beware of Rana!!!

wahindiawah

Banned
England must watch out for Naved

He is a thinking bowler

Peter Moores on Naved
Academy director Peter Moores has warned England to be wary of the threat posed by Rana Naved-ul-Hasan during the fortchoming tour of Pakistan.
Seam bowler Naved played under Moores at Sussex this summer and took 54 wickets in nine Championship games.

"He is very skilful. But as well as that, he has the same passion and enthusiasm to play as an 18-year-old.

"He has no fear of failure or inhibitions," said Moores, who recently left Hove to take up the Academy post.

Naved has taken 55 wickets in 31 one-day appearances for Pakistan, but has only made five Test appearances so far.

The 27-year-old lacks the pace of former greats Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, but Moores believes he is quick enough and can also produce a variety of different deliveries.

"He bowls at 85mph or above; he swings it away with the new ball and reverses it with the older ball; then he has at least three different slower balls.

"He also has very good disguise of reverse swing, manoeuvring the ball in his fingers - very clever," said Moores.

"He has come late to international cricket, but I cannot believe he will not continue to progress.

"There is no guarantee he is going to get in the Pakistan side yet, but I would be amazed if they didn't pick him.

"I think he will do well in Test match cricket. He asks a lot of questions of batsmen and he is not scared of hard work either."

Moores believes Naved was a "phenomenal" signing for Sussex, who are hoping he will agree to return to them next summer.

Craig

World Traveller
When I first say this thread I thought it was a flame-bait thread, but now I have some reservations.

Craig

World Traveller
archie mac said:
Why has it taken him to the age of 27?
SOme people are late bloomers I guess and it has taken him this long to find his potential.

Just like you could say with Rick McCosker who took him to 26 to finally get a gig with NSW and two years later for Australia.

archie mac

International Coach
Craig said:
SOme people are late bloomers I guess and it has taken him this long to find his potential.

Just like you could say with Rick McCosker who took him to 26 to finally get a gig with NSW and two years later for Australia.
Okay, I thought maybe injuries :)

open365

International Vice-Captain
i saw him on the TV playing for sussex and he looked excellent.

i'm not sure whether he could cut it at test level though,he defintely deserves a long run in the side but i just hope he doesn't become another Martin Bicknell.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
IF he comes good, Pakistan will become a BIG force in both forms, not just in ODIs as they are currently.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
archie mac said:
Why has it taken him to the age of 27?
Why has what taken him until 27?
As far as I'm aware he's not doing anything differently to what he was 6 years ago, say, just getting lots of wickets with rubbish deliveries in ODIs, being smashed all over the place most games and getting away with it because he's actually not too bad at the death and usually gets a wicket or two with decent Yorkers.
His First-Class record is pretty good and always has been, his Test record is abysmal and has been since he made his debut a year ago.
I really can't see him being picked and if he gets into the Tests ahead of Shoaib, Shabbir and Umar Gul (if fit) it'll be a travesty.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wahindiawah said:
Moores believes Naved was a "phenomenal" signing for Sussex, who are hoping he will agree to return to them next summer.
And this is a man who's seen Michael Bevan and Murray Goodwin's time at the county...
Granted, Rana Naved-Ul-Hasan had a darn good First-Class season and his one-day season improved as it wore on but to call him a "phenominal" signing is utterly stupid on Moores' part.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Granted, Rana Naved-Ul-Hasan had a darn good First-Class season and his one-day season improved as it wore on but to call him a "phenominal" signing is utterly stupid on Moores' part.
54 wickets in 9 games (i.e. 6 per game) is pretty phenomenal for a guy not in his national team.

For the record, when I first saw him in Australia last summer, I thought he was okay. But he bowled better and quicker as the series went on and looked quite destructive in the matches leading the finals.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But to call him a "phenominal" signing because of a good spell of a whole 9 games (and some one-dayers) is stupid.
He's never impressed me much in ODIs and obviously he can't possibly have impressed many people in Tests.
Obviously Australia liked to talk him up last summer, but they usually do that with 1 or 2 players from their opposition.
Maybe it's an antidote to the boredom of constant thrashings?

twctopcat

International Regular
tooextracool said:
its just a pity that he isnt more accurate, he sends far too many balls down the leg side.
KP will gobble him up if that is the case. Hmmmmm, Rana pie..... :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
KP and the rest, probably.
In the Tests at least.
Of course, he might cause problems to Strauss, Vaughan, Solanki, Collingwood and Jones in the ODIs.

thierry henry

International Coach
Richard said:
Obviously Australia liked to talk him up last summer, but they usually do that with 1 or 2 players from their opposition.
Maybe it's an antidote to the boredom of constant thrashings?
Or an excuse for occasional losses

Or an excuse for their comparatively poor playing of spin-bowling

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
thierry henry said:
Or an excuse for occasional losses

Or an excuse for their comparatively poor playing of spin-bowling
Err, they talk up Rana as an excuse for their poor play of spin? Right...

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
And this is a man who's seen Michael Bevan and Murray Goodwin's time at the county...
he's just playing up his signing obviosuly. might not be phenomenal but very goos styll. plays his heart out, and has done extremely well in the past season, carried the pak odi attack single-handedly for a year, which was his 1st complete year in intl cricket. we shd learn to appreciate whats good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The point is, his success (in 2 series against the two lowest-achieving teams of the 8 ODI-standard teams, it might be added - India and West Indies) has come through poor strokes mostly rather than him bowling especially well.
Even then it's only been wicket-taking he's been good at, he's almost invariably very wayward.