• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Zimbabwe Domestic Season

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
I'm a big fan of Taibu and I hope he can continue his cricketing career at a high level in another country, would like to see him in England playing some county cricket, any indication yet as to where he will go?

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Great! I knew this would happen.
Those fkn idiots. I've just about had enough of Zimbabwe, I gotta tell you, I'm over it.
Ban them already. Please. Let them go and play in the Intercontinental cup and in South Africa, and give them time to rebuild. But until then...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Chubb said:
I did consider Brendan but I felt he had a lot to do at the top of the order with Terry. I don't think Alester will be back again. The other person they might try (don't bet on it or against it) is young Tafadzwa Mufambisi, who'll be in Taibu's place at Mash. Ebrahim is the kind of thing they might do (it could be worse, it could be Vusi :wacko: ). It's impossible to predict what's going to happen next.
I think the first class sides they sent away to India and South Africa are a good indication of what they are looking at in terms of team setup and depth. Brendan was keeping in India (as far as I know... I could be wrong on that though, Chappie could very well have been keeping) and Alester was keeping in South Africa, along with opening the batting and also captaining the side. This suggests to me that they are the prime candidates.

As for the captaincy, Ebrahim has the most experience in terms of matches (barring maybe Blignaut) and he also has quite a bit of captaincy experience, having captained the A-side on regular occassions when being left out of the main side. I dont think he'd be a bad choice as captain if he could actually cement a spot in the side, so I think the selectors, who seem to look for any excuse to pick him, might select him as captain to give themselves further reason to select him for each match...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor was keeping in India, in the scorecards i saw and batting at 5, with Masakadza captaining with Ebrahim also playing. So on th back of that my prediction, if they don't quit themselves is Masakadza captaining, Taylor at 5 and Ferreira and Terry opening the batting.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Taylor was keeping in India, in the scorecards i saw and batting at 5, with Masakadza captaining with Ebrahim also playing. So on th back of that my prediction, if they don't quit themselves is Masakadza captaining, Taylor at 5 and Ferreira and Terry opening the batting.
I think they were more looking to the future with Ham captaining there. I think they'd still give it to Ebrahim at this stage.

I also still like Alester may be picked with Taylor retaining the opening role, but I hope this doesnt occur.

Chubb

International Regular
Nice interview with Tatenda from Cricinfo:

' I would be glad to come back and play'

November 30, 2005

Tatenda Taibu spoke to Martin Williamson about his decision to quit playing for and captaining Zimbabwe, the threats made against his family, and his future plans

Why exactly do you think that Peter Chingoka [the Zimbabwe Cricket chairman] and Ozias Bvute [the MD] should stand down?

Because they are trying to bring in people like Themba Mliswa [the man who made the threats against Taibu] and Tavengwa Mukuhlani [another hardliner] onto the board, and we all understand that they are wrong for Zimbabwe Cricket. There are also other aspects that people will get to understand when they are exposed.

If Bvute and Chingoka go, who will replace them and is there fear that it will be more of the same?

It will be up to the board to decide, but I think the most important thing to do is to tighten the system so that anyone who comes can't mess with it. If the main two go, however, then Mliswa and Mukuhlani will not be entertained.

Clearly you took the threat from Mliswa seriously. Was it personal and did it prompt your decision to quit?

I took it personally, but talking to a few people I found out that's the way he is. I still would have resigned. I had already made up my mind because of the way cricket is being run in this country, but Mliswa's threat helped me to do so.

How much support have you and the other players received since you spoke out?

I am really proud of the decision made by my team-mates, such decisions are not made by cowards and it shows that there is team spirit. I met with Gideon Gono, the Governor of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe, and he understands the situation and I believe he will do something really special. I am not allowed to say much, but all I can say is that I have faith that he will do something.

In September, the players issued a statement referring to ZC as being "at best incompetent, and at worst, a bully". Those were strong words. What caused you to finally speak out?

Because they were lying to people that it was all racial, and my standing up would have an impact since I am black.

Internationally, your stand has attracted considerable support and done more to highlight the plight of Zimbabwe cricket. Was that your intention?

Yes, because it's very important for some big people to come in ... for example, the ICC. But I can't say I'm disappointed they haven't because I don't really know what has to happen for them to do so. They obviously have some procedure to follow.

There have been reports from touring sides that this dispute has affected Zimbabwe's performances for some time. Is this right?

Yes, it's true. When we play against Ricky Ponting he's not worried about his contract, is he?

As captain, have you been involved in all aspects of selection and playing policy?

When Phil [Simmons] was the coach yes, but not under Kevin Curran.

Why did the players decide to back Simmons after his dismissal?

The decision to sack him wasn't a board decision and we still feel that he's the man to bring Zimbabwe forward. The players clearly prefer Phil because he always sticks with them.

How long do you think it will take for Zimbabwe cricket to recover from the last two or three years?

Not long, if the right people are put in place because some players who left are willing to come back if Bvute and Chingoka leave. I would be glad to come back and play.

As a young man yourself, do you see enough skill in the emerging players inside Zimbabwe to enable your side to compete on the international stage?

Yes I do. It's only that my bowlers got injured and my batsmen need to get experience. Remember, you reach your prime as a batsman at 27.

Have recent results had a detrimental affect on the way cricket is regarded inside Zimbabwe?

The supporters have been backing us up because they know the team is still young and will have much to offer when they grow.

Would you support a temporary suspension of Zimbabwe's international status to allow the game to rebuild on your own terms?

Not at all. The players need experience and you only get it when you play

Where do you see Zimbabwe cricket being in five years time?

If the right people are put in place I can assure you that we won't be ninth because we will have climbed the Test Championship ladder. If the stand-off continues, I am afraid to say there will be no cricket to talk about in this country, we all know that it will die, so that effectively means we won't be able to field a team in the West Indies. Maybe Chingoka will open the bowling and Bvute will open the batting against West Indies next May!

And what next for you? There have been rumours you will leave Zimbabwe for good.

I have already been offered a contract to play club cricket for a club in Dhaka. I don't know the name of the club yet but I am supposed to leave next Sunday. But I love my country and the only time I will leave is when I am going to play cricket.

© Cricinfo

Maybe we'll be seeing Tatenda in the "Bangladesh Domestic Season" thread soon.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Interesting news...

Tatenda Taibu, the recently stood down Zimbabwe captain and wicket keeper batsman has been signed up by Dhaka Premier League (DPL) side City Club. The DPL is a (relatively) high profile Bangladeshi club league, in which all the major first class and national team players turn out. Teams are allowed to field one overseas player in the first round, which starts in the second week of December, and two in the super six stage.

Should be interesting to see how Taibu fairs in Asia, seeing how he has previously shone on the 2005 tour to Bangladesh. I'll keep anyone interested updated both here and in the Bangladesh thread.

Chubb

International Regular
Jungle Jumbo said:
Interesting news...

Tatenda Taibu, the recently stood down Zimbabwe captain and wicket keeper batsman has been signed up by Dhaka Premier League (DPL) side City Club. The DPL is a (relatively) high profile Bangladeshi club league, in which all the major first class and national team players turn out. Teams are allowed to field one overseas player in the first round, which starts in the second week of December, and two in the super six stage.

Should be interesting to see how Taibu fairs in Asia, seeing how he has previously shone on the 2005 tour to Bangladesh. I'll keep anyone interested updated both here and in the Bangladesh thread.
I think Tatenda will absolutely own the club league and the FC too- he's a better batsman than any in Bangladesh save Habibul.

Chubb

International Regular
Obviously the big news is the Chingoka/ Bvute disappearance but this disturbing article was also on cricnfo today:

Mashonaland's problems hurting cricket

A special correspondent in Harare

December 1, 2005

The infighting in Zimbabwe Cricket has taken a vast toll on the country's domestic game. Three months into the new domestic season, no cricket worthy of talking about is being played in Mashonaland, the country's biggest province.

Cyprian Mandenge, whose disputed chairmanship of the Mashonaland Cricket Association won him a position on the split ZC board, dismissed six top clubs from the province in August for taking a stance against the national board. Mandenge proceeded to restructure the provincial leagues, filling them up with development sides, all dominated by students and school-leavers. There are no top coaches at the clubs, and they have no experienced senior team-mates or opposition to learn from.

Already, plans are underway to pick a "development" side from these clubs to represent Mashonaland in the Logan Cup, Zimbabwe's premier first-class competition.

While Zimbabwe's top players have again put pressure on Peter Chingoka and Ozias Bvute to leave office in the aftermath of Tatenda Taibu's resignation and retirement, there is no sympathy whatsoever coming from the pro-ZC Mashonaland leagues.

The lack of sympathy is a result of selfishness. The players in the heavily-depleted leagues have been told that they will be picked to play for Zimbabwe if the professional players continue challenging the ZC leadership. The youngsters have swallowed the promises, which if allowed to pass, will effectively bring the dearth of Zimbabwe cricket. Where can Zimbabwe get another side when they have shown in the past months that they are clearly in dire straits and in need of quality player injection from somewhere?

The professional players, meanwhile, have been playing club cricket in a splinter league that was formed after they were expelled from the MCA. But games have not been of as high a quality as they would have wanted. The intensity and competition is no longer the same, as the players have been told that they will not be considered for the province's first-class side.

Mandenge is still withholding funds from ZC disbursed to the clubs two months ago, and ZC has stopped helping with grounds maintenance at their grounds. But the clubs are trying to arrange everything for themselves, and they maintain that they will go ahead and chose their own side to feature in the Logan Cup.

Fortunately, the Logan Cup is not starting until April, and moderates in Zimbabwe cricket are hoping that the current situation will have been resolved by then.

© Cricinfo

The players in the heavily-depleted leagues have been told that they will be picked to play for Zimbabwe if the professional players continue challenging the ZC leadership. The youngsters have swallowed the promises, which if allowed to pass, will effectively bring the dearth of Zimbabwe cricket. Where can Zimbabwe get another side when they have shown in the past months that they are clearly in dire straits and in need of quality player injection from somewhere?

Basically they are going to form a test side out of the remnants of the league system. These are players that can't even get into the first class system, now the weakest in the world!

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
Zimbabwe cricket crisis

Zimbabwe cricketers arrested over offshore funds
AFP

December 5, 2005

According to The Herald, Zimbabwe's leading newspaper, Vusi Sibanda and Waddington Mwayenga were arrested on December 3 by Zimbabwean police officials on charges of violating foreign exchange regulations. This has been confirmed by Cricinfo from sources within Zimbabwe.

"Sources within Zimbabwe Cricket said last night they had been informed that the police were also interested in questioning at least six more players over their offshore foreign currency accounts and transactions," The Herald reported. The newspaper also said the arrests followed investigations by Zimbabwe's central bank into the cricket league's financial affairs. Mohammed Meman, the Zimbabwe team manager, was also reported to have been arrested.

Problems at Zimbabwe Cricket led to the resignation two weeks ago of Tatenda Taibu, the national captain. Taibu and other national players had earlier teamed up with the country's seven provincial chairmen in a bid to have Peter Chingoka, the national chairman, sacked and Osias Bvute, the managing director, suspended pending an investigation into the financial activities of the cricket body.

Zimbabwe cricket has been in a crisis ever since and their performances have been so poor that both England and Australia have refused to play Test matches against them.

Vusi and Waddy? arrested?

I suspect that they were trying to keep as much of their earnings as possible, because Zim cricketers don't get paid much. The others were probably doing the same, keeping what little money they get away from the government. I've been known to make cruel remarks about Vusi and Waddy, but they are essentially nice people who aren't good enough to play international cricket. I hope they are alright, and the other cricketers.

Snippie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Oops, just found this post of yours Chubb, I've started a new thread on the subject, it can be deleted if the mighty moderators want too... :ph34r:

Chubb

International Regular
It's happened! It's happened!

Chingoka and Bvute arrested

Martin Williamson

December 6, 2005

Zimbabwe's cricket bosses Peter Chingoka and Ozias Bvute were arrested late on Monday after surrendering themselves at Harare Central police station. The pair are understood to have arrived accompanied by their lawyer, Wilton Manashe.

The news was confirmed by Chief Superintendent Oliver Mandipaka who said: "They have been charged with contravening sections of the Exchange Control Act, and they will appear in court soon."

A source close to Zimbabwe Cricket said that the charges relate to the ongoing investigation being carried out by the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe. It is thought that the pair were charged with several offences, including funds misappropriation and violating Zimbabwe s foreign currency exchange regulations.

The ZC board is now expected to meet as a matter of urgency and it is widely rumoured that Chingoka and Bvute will be removed from office. An insider said that the first move would then be to gain entrance to their heavily-locked offices, and hand over all the books and accounts to a forensic auditor.

It is known that ZC is in deep financial trouble. Harare Sports Club has not been paid rent for office space by ZC for two months, and many players have not had their match fees from the New Zealand and India series almost three months ago. The full scale of the financial predicament is not yet known.

The forensic audit will include investigation into alleged importation of many top of the range vehicles for resale in Harare and unexplained cash withdrawals.

If Chingoka and Bvute are ousted then it will pave the way for the striking players to return. Tatenda Taibu, who quit as Zimbabwe's captain last week, is likely to resume and other players who retired because of the Chingoka-led ZC's conduct might also be persuaded to reconsider.

Lovemore Banda, the ZC media manager, repeatedly denied he knew anything about the arrests but failed to respond when asked several times to clarify the situation.

In a letter to the ICC last week, the seven provincial chairmen asked for a freeze on all foreign income pending investigation of transactions through an account in London, income and expenditure accounts for TV companies and "other allegations of several instances of impropriety in ZC". They also asked the ICC to look into a number of other transactions.

Martin Williamson is managing editor of Cricinfo

© Cricinfo

It's the end for that pair of *******s. Ahmed Ebrahim has stepped in to rectify the situation with the provinces, and the investigation has acted to remove Chingoka and Bvute from the picture. This is good news for Zimbabwean cricket, however, we must be cautious because the situation is still far from stable or the future particularly bright.

Snippie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tetenda Taibu was on Extra Cover last night, he was very descreet but I could see his happiness at the fact that these guys had been arrested, maybe, just maybe, it will mean the start of a new era for Zimbabwean cricket.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Thank God. About time.
Now, in a perfect world, here comes Streak, the Flowers, Carlile, Price, Ervine, Blignaut and let's start over from the 1999 World Cup :D

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Good night. :@

Government takes over Zimbabwe Cricket

Chingoka chairman, with a few government officials and Cyprian Mandenge, Tavengwa Mukuhlani, Ntokozo Ncube and Wilson Manase on an interim board. Seems obvious to me that ZC has to be kicked out of the ICC entirely now, but I'm sure Malcolm Speed will disagree...

Chubb

International Regular
The end of the saddest story in cricket history. Now Speed cannot claim that ZC is apolitical. If he has any sense (which I frequently doubt) or any kind of backbone (ditto) he must end the farce by banning Zimbabwe.

Those *******s have finally finished what they started. There is no way Zimbabwe can remain a senior nation, indeed, there is no way they can remain an associate. I have stopped short of calling for Zimbabwe to be banned outright before, prefer to call for ZC to be reformed in an apolitical and neutral way free of government interference, but now, there is no other way.

Last edited: