• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Zimbabwe Domestic Season

Chubb

International Regular
Tatenda has told Cricinfo that it was Mliswa who called him and forced him to go into hiding:
Taibu talks of the threats which drove him into hiding

Cricinfo staff

November 15, 2005

Tatenda Taibu has spoken of the threats made against him and his family last Thursday which made him leave his home and go into hiding.

Taibu, who earlier that day had fronted a press conference where the Zimbabwe players lambasted the performance of the board, explained that he was in a meeting with representatives of the Sports and Recreation Commission at a hotel in Harare when he was called by Themba Mliswa. Mliswa is well known in Zimbabwe as a Zanu-PF activist, and he has recently surfaced as chairman of the newly-created Mashonaland West province.

Mliswa introduced himself and asked whether Taibu knew who he was - Taibu replied that he had only heard about him. Mliswa then told Taibu he was "only a black boy being used" at which point Taibu reminded him that he was no longer a boy. Mliswa went on to say: "I know where you live and I will come there and beat you up." At that, Taibu hung up.

Mliswa called back soon after, but as Taibu was on another call, the phone diverted to his wife, who was in the car outside the hotel waiting for her husband. Mliswa, Taibu explained, immediately started shouting at his wife.

When he returned to the car, Taibu called someone a contact in the state security who advised him to go and report the matter to the police, which he did. The individual from state security then called Mliswa and warned him not to call again.

Given that Mliswa was arrested and charged with assault in 2003, the decision was reached to take the threats seriously, and Taibu, his wife and his three-week old baby were taken to a nearby hotel for the night. Although Taibu has since returned home, his wife remains scared and is staying with friends.

Asked about a column in yesterday's Herald in which Mliswa launched a bitter attack on him, Taibu said that the truth had not been printed by the local media which had given Mliswa free rein to criticise him. He added that his view, and that of the other players, remained the same - namely that Peter Chingoka, Ozias Bvute and people like Mliswa were not good for the game, and while they remained, the players would seriously consider a strike.

"There is no worse thing as captain than going to practice and issues being discussed by the players have got nothing to do about the game but are all about governance issues," he said. "It just shows that the players are not concentrating."

© Cricinfo

I really hope Tatenda is alright. That is one scary story. You see this sort of thing coming out of Zimbabwe all the time.

This raises serious questions as to what the ICC is going to do about it. The answer I suspect will be nothing, because "Internal politics is not our remit." Bunch of hypocritical, incompetent nonentities.

Other questions raised; Is it now possible for the Logan Cup to be run? Can even a semblence of a national side be assembled? The answer to both questions is surely no. Zimbabwe need international intervention. Nothing else will salvage the cricketing situation. The political one was dead long ago now.

Last edited:

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Tch, that's damn sad, really. Poor Taibu; he finally speaks out and gets grilled for it.
Mate, if you're worried, fly over to Melbourne. We've got District Teams who'd love to have you!

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Chubb said:
...Given that Mliswa was arrested and charged with assault in 2003, the decision was reached to take the threats seriously, and Taibu, his wife and his three-week old baby were taken to a nearby hotel for the night...
:no: I hope the child is okay.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chooka_nick said:
Mate, if you're worried, fly over to Melbourne. We've got District Teams who'd love to have you!
Camberwell Magpies officially shotgun.

In all seriousness, a dire situation. Hope Tatenda + others are OK.

Last edited:

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
vic_orthdox said:
Camberwell Magpies officially shotgun.
Ha! I've seen them play before. They play behind my mate's house.
vic_orthdox said:
In all seriousness, a dire situation. Hope Tatenda + others are OK.
Same. Mind you... this may be the end of Zimbabwean cricket...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Its sick that the ICC do nothing about this whatsoever.. Surely by now the most spineless sporting body of all time?
Bring Tatenda and the boys over to SA, some of them are worth a franchise contract, to be honest they might as well jump ship from Zimbabwe now.. At least they'll get paid here..

Chubb

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
Its sick that the ICC do nothing about this whatsoever.. Surely by now the most spineless sporting body of all time?
Bring Tatenda and the boys over to SA, some of them are worth a franchise contract, to be honest they might as well jump ship from Zimbabwe now.. At least they'll get paid here..
One thing is that after this the ICC can't claim that ZC is apolitical. Appointing a Zanu hardliner president of a totally fictious province? Allowing him to threaten the life of the national captain for stepping out of line? Proof, I'd say, if any was needed.

Mliswa is an evil man. I've seen reports that he's set thugs on opposition members, attacked white farmers, their wives and children, "disappeared" people for Mugabe... Horribly scary.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a terrible situation, and as far as the ICC or anyone is concerned, it's a 'no win' situation unless all those players, officials, family or anyone else not prepared to kowtow to the ZCU are protected - but that cannot happen in Zimbabwe.

If the ICC do take action, whose heads will the revenge of Mugabe and Zanu PF fall upon? One guess.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Well, Andy Blignaut has held a catch for the Lions against the Titans today...

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
It's a terrible situation, and as far as the ICC or anyone is concerned, it's a 'no win' situation unless all those players, officials, family or anyone else not prepared to kowtow to the ZCU are protected - but that cannot happen in Zimbabwe.

If the ICC do take action, whose heads will the revenge of Mugabe and Zanu PF fall upon? One guess.
Good post Luckie Eddie. The players can do very little, they can strike but the consequences could be awful among the lesser known black players. When Streak, Blignaut etc resigned, Mugabe or the ZCU couldn't touch them as they were far too high profile. But some of the lesser players know on the fringes of the international circuit rely on their cricket in Zimbabwe. They are probably not high profile enough to be recognised by the wider cricketing community, and cannot (as Streak, Olonga, the Flowers, Ervine... the list goes on) strike, because they do not have the money or education to emigrate to Britain or Australia, nor do they have enough cricketing quality to play as overseas players in other countries. The matter is has to end up in the hands of the UN, not the ICC.

Chubb

International Regular
Jungle Jumbo said:
Good post Luckie Eddie. The players can do very little, they can strike but the consequences could be awful among the lesser known black players. When Streak, Blignaut etc resigned, Mugabe or the ZCU couldn't touch them as they were far too high profile. But some of the lesser players know on the fringes of the international circuit rely on their cricket in Zimbabwe. They are probably not high profile enough to be recognised by the wider cricketing community, and cannot (as Streak, Olonga, the Flowers, Ervine... the list goes on) strike, because they do not have the money or education to emigrate to Britain or Australia, nor do they have enough cricketing quality to play as overseas players in other countries. The matter is has to end up in the hands of the UN, not the ICC.
Well said.

venomous

Cricket Spectator
Good Luck! to the players of Zimbabwe domestic season. Hope it will produce some good young cricketers and may rejuvenate the Zimbabwe XI.

Chubb

International Regular
The Zim U23s lost again, to Boland in Stellenbosch. They were bowled out for 171 in the first innings, Greg Strydom made aquick 52 and Bernard Mlambo 32 but it was another poor effort. Boland got 345-7dec. Allan Mwayenga took 5-67. The young zimboks got bowled out again for 174, Strydom again getting a fifty (56) and Mlambo 30. Colin de Grandhomme got 20s in each innings. That left only one run to win for Boland.

In other news, the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe has called for and launched an investigation into the financial dealings of ZC especially Peter Chinyoka and Ozias Bvute as well as investigating the claim that a female ZC employee absconded with $75,000 (US), although it is suspected she duped ZC and embezzled it (it was paid by a sponsor).

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Samuel_Vimes said:
Well, Andy Blignaut has held a catch for the Lions against the Titans today...
Well, he also took 3/34, 0/24 hit a 51-ball 50 (six fours and a six) and made one.
Handy debut!

Chubb

International Regular
chooka_nick said:
Well, he also took 3/34, 0/24 hit a 51-ball 50 (six fours and a six) and made one.
Handy debut!
Yeah I don't really know why Andy did so badly at Tassie and Durham- he definately has the ability to succeed at higher domestic level.

The Zimbabwe U19s are playing in the Afro-Asian U19 tournament at the moment, the team includes Sean Williams, Tafadzwa Mufambisi, Ian Nicolson to name a few.

They lost their first match, against South Africa, scoring 172a/o out of which the wonderfully named Kudakwashe Donald Samunderu (opener for Mash, Zim A international) scored 74. It was never going to be enough and they lost by seven wickets. No scorecard available so can't say more than that.

The second match was against Pakistan- Zimbabwe were crushed again, castled for 119, again Samunderu top scored with 31, and Pakistan romped to a 10-wicket win. No scorecard available either.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Chubb said:
Yeah I don't really know why Andy did so badly at Tassie and Durham- he definately has the ability to succeed at higher domestic level.
I think with both faucets of his game he just lost control... he tries to bowl like Brett Lee, but not as good. Simple as that.
Even so, handy player!

Chubb

International Regular
:-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

Taibu to resign as Zimbabwe captain
Cricinfo staff

November 24, 2005

Tatenda Taibu has announced that he is to stand down as Zimbabwe captain and will inform Peter Chingoka, the board chairman, later today. He explained that he had told the media in advance so that he would not come under any pressure to stay on.

"I am doing this, 80% because of the current situation in Zimbabwe Cricket and 20% because I do not like the terms of my offered contract," he said. "The personal threats I have also had do not help."

Taibu also revealed that he was again threatened by the controversial Themba Mliswa this week while meeting Chingoka at a hotel in Harare. "As I was about to leave, he approached me and said 'you act like you don't know me ... you think this is over ... there is more coming'. I told him that I do not know him, and I never had respect for him. And as I walked towards my car, he continued saying things aloud, but I was not listening." It's been a busy week for Mliswa, who has also hit the headlines after one person died and another was taken to hospital following a fight at his Karoi Spring Farm.

Taibu said his fellow players had not agreed to him meeting Chingoka, but he had hoped he would salvage something from the discussion. After Chingoka had asked Taibu to put his concerns in writing, he told him that all concerns the players had were in the public statement read at the press conference a fortnight ago. "I told Chingoka that Bvute knew of these things. We had been trying to tell them about it, and they have been turning their backs."

Supporters of the Zimbabwe board have accused Taibu of being used, but he dismissed those suggestions. "I have got my own mind. I make my own decisions. I have managed to lead a young side in international cricket. Why should I allow myself to be tossed up now?"

Taibu has not signed his new contact with Zimbabwe Cricket, even though the board and the players reached an agreement last week. The delay has been caused by an issue regarding the exchange rate to be used in determining their remuneration, one which is outside the control of either party.

But Taibu's contract was supposed to cover details of the four-month sub-contact he is to sign with the Cape Town-based Cobras. The arrangement to play in South Africa was offered to Taibu - as well as to Andy Blignaut - through negotiations undertaken by the Zimbabwe board.

"The things I have asked for in South Africa are supposed to be added to the [Zimbabwe] contact. That was the initial agreement," Taibu told Cricinfo. "I had discussions with the MD [Ozias Bvute] that were unfruitful. I'm really not sure now if I can go to South Africa without signing my contact here."

I can't say it's much of a surprise. Tatenda has to get the hell out of there now or go into hiding because the Zanu are going to come for him unless he's careful. I think this represents the final disintegration of Zimbabwean cricket- The ICC isn't going to do anything though... those unprincipled little bureaucratic pigs are just going to let it happen.

Surely, surely they have to do something. Everyone can see it, but you can be almost certain it'll be recorded as "A domestic matter" and criticism hushed up as "Imperialistic" or "Colonial". Zimbabwe does not deserve this disgusting apathy. Cricket does not deserve that useless bunch of imbeciles living the high life in Dubai and stopping people from drinking non-sponsor bevergaes and legislating the correct procedure for the abandonment of play whilst thugs, con artists and racists seize control of a country's sport. I hate ZC. I hate Zanu, and I hate the ICC

(believe me, I would have used far worse terms of abuse were it not for the filters)

Right. courses of action that the ICC could take:
1. Ban Zimbabwe. This would improve both the moral character of the ICC and the playing standards of world cricket. It would hopefully be the final nail in the coffin for ZC. However, if ZC do not care about the game (and I don't think they do) then it will be the end for Zimbabwean cricket for they will take it down with them, if they fall, and that's only an if with the current situation as the govt. backs them 100%

2. Intervene. Refuse to recognise ZC and set up its own board to run the game in Zimbabwe. This would probably mean Tatenda would stay on and would improve the standard of Zimbabwe's cricket, improve the moral character and the international game. The drawback is that Zanu could make the new board impossible to run and Zanu also have the power to kill cricket in Zimbabwe outright (by making it illegal- don't put it past them)

3. Suspend Zimbabwe. Done before and didn't work, which means they'll probably do it again anyway. This has only negative implications for the game would all but die out, ZC would still be in control and the players won't come back.

4. Do nothing. Allow ZC to bring down Zimbabwean cricket with their racism and political bullying. Continue allowing Zim to play international cricket despite the absence of their one remaining goodish player. Nothing good will come of this.

Now what I think should happen to the remaining team:
1. Ham Masakadza must be captain. He's clever, the best batsman in the team now, and potentially a world-class player.
2. Give the gloves to Chappie Coventry and have him bat 8 with Blignaut 7
3. Williams/ de Grandhomme for Taibu.

It is entirely possible that the rest of the team will quit/ strike in sympathy but in the end barring intervention ZC will win. The situation is hopeless.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ill comment on the whole situation later when I have more time, but as for your ammended team suggestions, Ive heard that Brendon Taylor is a superior gloveman to Charles Coventry, so hes certainly an option. They'll probably just pick Maregwede though, and give the captaincy to Ebrahim....

Chubb

International Regular
Prince EWS said:
Ill comment on the whole situation later when I have more time, but as for your ammended team suggestions, Ive heard that Brendon Taylor is a superior gloveman to Charles Coventry, so hes certainly an option. They'll probably just pick Maregwede though, and give the captaincy to Ebrahim....
I did consider Brendan but I felt he had a lot to do at the top of the order with Terry. I don't think Alester will be back again. The other person they might try (don't bet on it or against it) is young Tafadzwa Mufambisi, who'll be in Taibu's place at Mash. Ebrahim is the kind of thing they might do (it could be worse, it could be Vusi :wacko: ). It's impossible to predict what's going to happen next.