• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strike Rates

Blaze

Banned
Who has the best strike rates in test match cricket?

Could someone give me a top 10 or something?

Blaze

Banned
Thanks. I wanted to see where McCullum was on that list. He doesn't appear to be there but on his cricinfo profile it says his strike rate is 60 which would place him in the top 10. You probably have to play 20 tests or score a certain amount of runs to get on that list.

thierry henry

International Coach
Funnily enough McCullum's ODI strike rate is quite poor, I believe it may have just recently nudged up to 70.

Blaze

Banned
thierry henry said:
Funnily enough McCullum's ODI strike rate is quite poor, I believe it may have just recently nudged up to 70.

Because he comes in when we collapse and has to rebuild I guess. He certainly has a dash when required to do so.

thierry henry

International Coach
Actually, I can remember a number of occasions where we have been dashing, but McCullum has been playing the role of nudger.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jeez, Gilly's good, isn't he? When you see his career stats it makes our efforts in subduing him in The Ashes seem all the greater. :)

Looking at some of the older players on Howstat & cricinfo they don't actually have SRs listed, presuambly because of incomplete records. I don't many would be up there at 65+ tho.

Blaze

Banned
thierry henry said:
Actually, I can remember a number of occasions where we have been dashing, but McCullum has been playing the role of nudger.

Yeah he compliments the hitters nicely. But when required to do so he can hit the ball a fair way. NZ vs. SA ODI at Wellington him and Oram hit something like 70 off the last 5 overs.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
Yeah he compliments the hitters nicely. But when required to do so he can hit the ball a fair way. NZ vs. SA ODI at Wellington him and Oram hit something like 70 off the last 5 overs.
McCullum is good. he can either go out and have a slog or have a nudge around.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
thierry henry said:
Yeah, he does that when there is an established batsman at the crease, because hes lightning between the wickets. He just gives the strike back.

shaka

International Regular
superkingdave said:
http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Bowling/BowlingStrikerate.asp

Lohmann 34.12
Bond 37.34
Ferris 37.74
SF Barnes 41.66
Vogler 43.19
Younis 43.50
Akhtar 44.35
Blythe 44.38
Spoforth 44.52
W Barne 44.88
=JC Lawson 44.88
JEC Franklin (NZ) also has a strike rate of 44.8. According to cricinfo, which has the top ten as:
Lohman 34.1
Bond 37.3
Ferris 37.7
Barnes 41.6
Vogler 43.1
Younis 43.4
Akhtar 44.3
Spofforth 44.5
Lawson 44.8
Barnes 44.8
Franklin 44.8

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well you got your rounding all wrong, and Franklin would actually be ahead of Lawson and Barnes.

But anyway, thats a great achievement for someone who is known as a pretty average bowler in general. I know he's played a big against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, but on the other side of the coin, hes also played a lot against Australia and also some tests against England, so I think hes an under-rated bowler.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Jeez, Gilly's good, isn't he? When you see his career stats it makes our efforts in subduing him in The Ashes seem all the greater. :)

Looking at some of the older players on Howstat & cricinfo they don't actually have SRs listed, presuambly because of incomplete records. I don't many would be up there at 65+ tho.
Yeah, well that's there the Hurricane list thing that was linked on the forum comes in, where they took over rates and time at the crease to work out rough strike rates for batsmen from the past. Victor Trumper's scoring rate is one of the more remarkable, given the pitches he played on.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
thierry henry said:
Im his career he has been stuffed around the batting order, never really knowing his role, always have to adapt. But with Barces keeping him at 7/8 recently he has gotten to know how to play that role, and is gaining confidence by scoring a good amount of runs there. The mail I have is that after the world cup when flem and Astle might be packing the pads for the last time, that after that Ryder and McCullum might be walking out together at the start of our innings.

shaka

International Regular
lawson has 2244 balls and taken 50 wickets (44.88), Barnes has 2289 and taken 51 wickets (48.882), and Franklin has 2110 and taken 47 wickets, so in fact his is 48.89
Hence everyone's should be rounded to 44.9

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
shaka said:
lawson has 2244 balls and taken 50 wickets (44.88), Barnes has 2289 and taken 51 wickets (48.882), and Franklin has 2110 and taken 47 wickets, so in fact his is 48.89
Hence everyone's should be rounded to 44.9
Indeed, but you rounded them all to 44.8.