• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When Will England Ever Win A World Cup?

Thrice Lucky, i mean Lucky to reach the Final somehow(though not lucky enough to be World champs!)

Will they ever be able to win it?? India,Aus,WI,Sl,Pak have all won it but when it comes to England its :lipsrsealed:

[Edited on 9/14/02 by vandemataram]

Kimbo

International Debutant
I think they need to improve their current system, they must be doing something wrong in the developmental stage.
In womens cricket they are also poor. They have a higher overall club quality and things like that but they have an inability to produce stars. For example, (still talking about women) I don't know if any of the England women could play for NZ, however we have less depth than them... argh, i cant seem to make sense. I will try again when I am feeling more coherent. :undecided: :lipsrsealed: :undecided: :lipsrsealed: :I :confused:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
To answer the original question...

When we get to a final and score more runs than the other team (barring the Duckworth/Lewis method...)

And do I think it can happen soon? No, not until attitudes at the top change. And there's nothing wrong with our water!!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain

Well my answer is : Whenever India make it to the final as well ;)

cheeky isn't it ?

Forgot to add this, Its downright unfair :D

[Edited on 9/15/02 by Gotchya]

Well my answer is : Whenever India make it to the final as well ;)

Yeah, just the the Onedayer tour in England where India send Nasir's men to the cleaner :D

India have been to the final and won it, England have also played it and have maintained 100 percent failure record.

Failures are the pillars of sucess!

Having said that i must say that in eng case Failures are the pillars of Failures.

It would be better if Eng fails to make it to the supersix and go home rather than reach the fianl once again and maintain a 100 percent failure record

Thanks for the input!

It appears to me that all of u guys have agreed that England cannot win the Cup :(Its actually depressing,now what can be done to save the English team?

I hope u guys don't get offended by my qs, but i would like to ask u guys, should Women cricketers be allowed to represent the English team in Men's World Cup? :I

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Well if England reached the final 3 times, then its a bit unfair to ridicule the system (not saying that its a perfect system), but I personally think they were a bit unlucky, except for WI, the other two finals they just ran into a hot team (Aus and Pak), who played better that day, but thats the nature of the game, had they played again the next ay the result might have been different.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
England should have won the 1987 final against Australia, but for that stupid reverse sweep of Gatting at that first delivery of Border.So much for ****iness, I guess.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well if England reached the final 3 times, then its a bit unfair to ridicule the system (not saying that its a perfect system), but I personally think they were a bit unlucky, except for WI, the other two finals they just ran into a hot team (Aus and Pak), who played better that day, but thats the nature of the game, had they played again the next ay the result might have been different.
Pakistan are probably the luckiest winners of a World Cup yet. If it wasn't for rain in their group game, they'd have been out before the knock out stages - then who knows what would have happened (but they certainly wouldn't have won!)

If I remember correctly, weren't there some dodgy things going on with the ball in that Final?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan are probably the luckiest winners of a World Cup yet. If it wasn't for rain in their group game, they'd have been out before the knock out stages - then who knows what would have happened (but they certainly wouldn't have won!)
If you talk about luck, the stupid Duckworth/Lewis system very clearly rescued England in the semis against SA, otherwise it would have been a SA vs Pak final. That was one of the biggest fluke wins I have seen especially in a match of the magnitude of a WC semi.

[Edited on 9/16/02 by anilramavarma]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If I remember correctly, weren't there some dodgy things going on with the ball in that Final?
WHAAAT ??????
There were storys about the ball suddenly doing amazing things - it was the same summer that the ball changing controversy happened in England.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you talk about luck, the stupid Duckworth/Lewis system very clearly rescued England in the semis against SA, otherwise it would have been a SA vs Pak final. That was one of the biggest fluke wins I have seen especially in a match of the magnitude of a WC semi.
1. It wasn't Duckworth-Lewis.
2. Before the rain break SA needed 22 off 13 balls, so it's hardly a guarantee they were going to win, more like a 5% chance.
3. Pakistan were 74 all out (in 40 overs) then it rained with England 24-1 off 8 overs. There is no doubt they were saved by the rain there, and that one point got them into the semi-finals - I feel in that case luck is the way to describe it.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
England were beaten fair and square by a better team in that final. I watched that entire match and the stories of "the ball doing amazing things" are just that, stories.