• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's been a similar slip from the chasing pack though - England got close in the summer but have fallen away, hence the gap has increased again and was only close for a very short time.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
There's been a similar slip from the chasing pack though - England got close in the summer but have fallen away, hence the gap has increased again and was only close for a very short time.
Yeah I understand what you are saying..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh you were talking about the gap between 1st and the rest. Hmm interesting point by Marc actually. Whilst Australia aren't what they were say 12-18 months ago, England have fallen off and India, Pakistan and South Africa still have a lot to prove, and all haven't beat Australia in a long time.

Deja moo

International Captain
The gap between Australia and India in terms of points is far lesser than the gap between India and the WI (WI are on 73 or 78 I believe, compared to Indias 115, Australias 128) In that sense, Australia arent that far ahead.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Deja moo said:
The gap between Australia and India in terms of points is far lesser than the gap between India and the WI (WI are on 73 or 78 I believe, compared to Indias 115, Australias 128) In that sense, Australia arent that far ahead.
I think IF India win against Pak and Eng 3-0 and Aus lose against SAf 2-0, India'll be the no.1 ranked team.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Oh you were talking about the gap between 1st and the rest. Hmm interesting point by Marc actually. Whilst Australia aren't what they were say 12-18 months ago, England have fallen off and India, Pakistan and South Africa still have a lot to prove, and all haven't beat Australia in a long time.
Lets put it this way -

Australia are looking more beatable than they have for a very very long period of time.

The fact that they may be beaten by one of 3 or 4 sides instead of a sole challenger hot on their heels doesnt change that fact.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
Lets put it this way -

Australia are looking more beatable than they have for a very very long period of time.

The fact that they may be beaten by one of 3 or 4 sides instead of a sole challenger hot on their heels doesnt change that fact.
That expresses my thought process on it very well. :cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
Lets put it this way -

Very true.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
That was always my issue - the Aussies continue to destroy the weaker sides, but we learn nothing about their ability, whilst the other leading sides face each other and cancel themselves out, so how has the gap lessened?!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
I think IF India win against Pak and Eng 3-0 and Aus lose against SAf 2-0, India'll be the no.1 ranked team.
By the same token, a 3-0 for England with Aus not winning the WI series would've lead to England being number 1 - in other words, it ain't going to happen, so why bother talking about it?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
By the same token, a 3-0 for England with Aus not winning the WI series would've lead to England being number 1 - in other words, it ain't going to happen, so why bother talking about it?
I never said it was likely, I was just pointing out how the field has evened out somewhat. No need to jump down my throat because of that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
What sticky?
OOPS.

My mistake. I

was surprised to see it on the first page and took it for granted that it was there because it was still a sticky. :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
OOPS.

My mistake. I

was surprised to see it on the first page and took it for granted that it was there because it was still a sticky. :)
Actually it wasnt your mistake.

Neil quickly unstickied it and made that post confusing the old man as evident.