• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Treatment of Mark Cosgrove

howardj

International Coach
Although I joked about it the other day, it's a little disappointing how the South Australian Cricket Association (SACA) have treated their squad member, Mark Cosgrove. For those who aren't up to speed, the SACA, upon Cosgrove's return from his offseason stint in the UK, suspended him for a month for being overweight. :eat:

They alleged that he breached his contract by failing to present himself in a satisfactory physical condition in order to play at the best of his ability. For the record, he weighed four kilograms more than he did before he went overseas. Anyway, as part of his suspension, the SACA will not allow him to attend any official training sessions and will not allow him to use any of the facilities at the SACA - including access to dieticians, trainers etc.

I really think the SACA have been extremely insensitive in the way that they have dealt with this. He's only 20 years of age, and they've really humiliated him by making the announcement, and putting out a national press release. He's not in the team, so if they were going to suspend him from the squad, it could have been done a little more discreetly.

Anyway, at the very least, the guy should be offered support and not just cut loose. I mean, Andrew Symonds wasn't cut loose and was offered counselling when he famously didn't present himself in a 'satisfactory physical condition' to play, on the Ashes tour earlier this year. Surely what Cosgrove did :eat: wasn't any less professional than what Symonds did the night before an international match :wine:

Although Im not obese myself, I think Cosgrove's treatment is just symptomatic of the way that overweight people are put down and sidelined in our community. I mean, is being an additional four kilograms heavier than what he was last season (when he was not reprimanded) really grounds for cutting the guy loose for a month and being so blunt about it?

I like to think, with cricket, it is a sport where you don't necessarily have to have a washboard stomach. Cosgrove hardly has a bigger girth than Boony had, nor Merv. Yes, the game is professional nowadays, but the point is that it didn't stop these chaps from performing at a consistently high level, at the highest level. Surely we can tolerate the odd 'chubster' in our game, or at least not be so intolerant and downright disdainful.

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I read this in the paper today. I thought it was a joke at first. I haven't seen him lately but he must really be putting on the pounds for such drastic action

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I agree with a lot of the above - the SACA have gone too far by publicly humiliating him, and I do agree that overweight people are more easily put down than others - it's seemingly an acceptable prejudice.
howardj said:
They alleged that he breached his contract by failing to present himself in a satisfactory physical condition in order to play at the best of his ability. For the record, he weighed four kilograms more than he did before he went overseas. Anyway, as part of his suspension, the SACA will not allow him to attend any official training sessions and will not allow him to use any of the facilities at the SACA - including access to dieticians, trainers etc.
That's just plain ridiculous and counter-productive...you'd think they would want him training and using their facilities to get fit!

Shounak

Banned
Damn this generation.. This is why I preferred the early to mid 90's.. Boonie, Tubby, Mervy. Poor bloke's wouldn't even be looked at by school teams because of their weight.

It's a shame though. Cricket's one of the only games where one can compete competently at an International level and still be a bit meaty. On ya Inzi..

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it is fair enough on the SACA's behalf. If he is in an unfit condition to train and hasn't made the effort to get into condition for the start of the season it says a lot about his commitment to the side. Perhaps this is the kick in the **** Cosgrove needs and if the SACA continue to keep him in the squad without him doing anything its not going to be the best thing for his game.

King_Ponting

International Regular
cricket consists of three sections. Bowling, batting and feilding. As a first class cricketer you're expected to be able to forfill at least 2 of the three roles and obviously due to cosgroves weight issues he could not forfill the fielding aspect satisfactorily and thus was in breach of his contract.

greg

International Debutant
King_Ponting said:
cricket consists of three sections. Bowling, batting and feilding. As a first class cricketer you're expected to be able to forfill at least 2 of the three roles and obviously due to cosgroves weight issues he could not forfill the fielding aspect satisfactorily and thus was in breach of his contract.
Maybe he's taken up off-spin?

And how did Shaun Tait slip through the net? 8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
shounak said:
Damn this generation.. This is why I preferred the early to mid 90's.. Boonie, Tubby, Mervy. Poor bloke's wouldn't even be looked at by school teams because of their weight.

It's a shame though. Cricket's one of the only games where one can compete competently at an International level and still be a bit meaty. On ya Inzi..
TBF I'd say your average Rugby Union prop would give Inzi a serious run for his money in the BMI stakes. & Graeme Smith's a bit of a Bunter too.

I dunno Cosgrove at all, but 4 kilos is nothing, is it? Just a good poo. :p I suppose it depends how big he was before he went away.

Slow Love™

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
I dunno Cosgrove at all, but 4 kilos is nothing, is it? Just a good poo. :p
LOL - that's a fair poo. It's been a while since I dropped a 4 kilo saussy (I bet I have at some stage, though).

I agree with many of the sentiments in this thread - particularly the outrageousness of withdrawing Cosgrove's access to the team's trainers and dietician. Without knowing enough of the internal machinations previous to this, I have to wonder if it's one of those "last straw" punishments after a bunch of prior transgressions.

We're no doubt a lot less tolerant of extra weight being carried than we once were (and not so long ago either) - I suppose it's a balancing of the team's needs for long-term stamina and performance as much as being able with the bat or ball. But putting out a press release can only serve to embarrass the guy and others not that far from his situation.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
The whoe media release situation smacks of "nee nar nee nar you're a fatty"! 8-)

Cosgrove doesn't need this kind of attention. And besides, 4kgs is not that much, nothing a couple of intense weeks dieting and training can't fix. If he gets through the pre-season training alright, then all this hoo ha was for nothing!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cosgrove doesn't need this kind of attention. And besides, 4kgs is not that much, nothing a couple of intense weeks dieting and training can't fix. If he gets through the pre-season training alright, then all this hoo ha was for nothing!
He's not 4Kg over where he should be; he GAINED 4Kg in England where he was already well above the weight requirement. If he hadn't gained anything, he'd still be expected to lose weight because hes currently 94Kg and he's about 5'10". Anyway, it was less the weight gain and more the fact his conditioning had dropped quite a bit.

Anyway, the issue here isn't weight, it's fitness. Cossie is a fantastic talent and really, his fieling is still quite good even with the extra flabbage but I know from talking to his club captain a little while ago that when batting, after a while he struggles to run the quick singles and threes, etc. relying on boundaries. No FC cricketer will survive for long if that's the case, especially an ultra-aggressive young player who gets frustrated if he's not hitting a 4 per over.

I agree with many of the sentiments in this thread - particularly the outrageousness of withdrawing Cosgrove's access to the team's trainers and dietician. Without knowing enough of the internal machinations previous to this, I have to wonder if it's one of those "last straw" punishments after a bunch of prior transgressions.
You're a smart guy. :)

Indeed, he has been given plenty of chances to get fitter and has had allocated to him a personal trainer, etc. yet he's gone and gained weight in England and lost a little conditioning.

THAT SAID, SACA's public handling has been awful. Publically naming and shaming him is just plain rude. I think they're honestly hoping it will motivate him but going to the extent of denying him access to SACA facilities and then telling the press about it borders on vindictive. Dasa is right; ultimately it's counter-productive too.

As for Boof, although a bit big-looking, what's hidden (thankfully) under that shirt is the fact that he's actually a chunk of muscle. He's always been able to meet body-fat index levels and has always managed to keep his fitness and conditioning up. He wouldn't have been picked in the Aussie side at all, let alone so late in his career if the situation was otherwise. I mean it's well-know how much of a stickler for fitness Bobby Simpson and Geoff Marsh were. Buchanan is no different.

howardj

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
He's not 4Kg over where he should be; he GAINED 4Kg in England where he was already well above the weight requirement. If he hadn't gained anything, he'd still be expected to lose weight because hes currently 94Kg and he's about 5'10". Anyway, it was less the weight gain and more the fact his conditioning had dropped quite a bit.

Anyway, the issue here isn't weight, it's fitness. Cossie is a fantastic talent and really, his fieling is still quite good even with the extra flabbage but I know from talking to his club captain a little while ago that when batting, after a while he struggles to run the quick singles and threes, etc. relying on boundaries. No FC cricketer will survive for long if that's the case, especially an ultra-aggressive young player who gets frustrated if he's not hitting a 4 per over.

You're a smart guy. :)

Indeed, he has been given plenty of chances to get fitter and has had allocated to him a personal trainer, etc. yet he's gone and gained weight in England and lost a little conditioning.
I know all that. I just wanted a chance to use the :eat: icon.

Just kiddin'. Good post T_C

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Fair enough. He's a professional cricketer, is he not? My contract says I will be fired or suspended if I do certain things. I honestly don't see anything wrong with this. Obviously, I'm not an Australian, but from what I've read it all seems fair enough.

Shounak

Banned
Macka said:
Fair enough. He's a professional cricketer, is he not? My contract says I will be fired or suspended if I do certain things. I honestly don't see anything wrong with this. Obviously, I'm not an Australian, but from what I've read it all seems fair enough.
I think it all comes down to if it affects his performance. They should make him do the beep test or watch him play a match one grade down..

If his weight gain has no impact on his performance, then it would be fair to conclude that he's been unfairly treated and maligned..

Craig

World Traveller
The way they treated him professionally was pretty poor, but then again Cosgrove didn't act professionally and letting his weight get out of hand, so while it is a kick in the teeth for him, maybe this will give him an attitude change and I agree with what Kyle said.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
shounak said:
I think it all comes down to if it affects his performance. They should make him do the beep test or watch him play a match one grade down..

If his weight gain has no impact on his performance, then it would be fair to conclude that he's been unfairly treated and maligned..
I have to disagree. It's in his contract for a reason. He's a professional sportman; he must adhere to his contract like everyone else does theirs.