• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Treatment of Mark Cosgrove

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
Although I joked about it the other day, it's a little disappointing how the South Australian Cricket Association (SACA) have treated their squad member, Mark Cosgrove. For those who aren't up to speed, the SACA, upon Cosgrove's return from his offseason stint in the UK, suspended him for a month for being overweight. :eat:
Times have changed, eh?
They said in the 1950s players would have thought it absurd to turn-up for the first net of the season less than a stone overweight.

Shounak

Banned
Macka said:
I have to disagree. It's in his contract for a reason. He's a professional sportman; he must adhere to his contract like everyone else does theirs.
You've got to be reasonable though.. If the 4kg doesn't affect his on field performance, it shouldn't really matter..

What if he gained it as muscle as part of a new diet and exercise regime? Not saying he did, but weight gain isn't always a bad thing.

I'm saying a "spirit of the law, rather then the word".. Is there a point in cracking down on a good player for no good reason?

King_Ponting

International Regular
shounak said:
You've got to be reasonable though.. If the 4kg doesn't affect his on field performance, it shouldn't really matter..

What if he gained it as muscle as part of a new diet and exercise regime? Not saying he did, but weight gain isn't always a bad thing.

I'm saying a "spirit of the law, rather then the word".. Is there a point in cracking down on a good player for no good reason?
Attitude has alot to do with it, one could assume.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On-field condition in a district-level ODI is one thing with on-field conditioning for four-day matches being something entirely different. As I said, it wasn't just the weight gain it was lack of fitness generally. Boof could never be said to have had a very svelt frame yet he was always able to meet fitness requirements.

Trust me, he didn't gain muscle. :)

Shounak

Banned
On-field condition in a district-level ODI is one thing with on-field conditioning for four-day matches being something entirely different. As I said, it wasn't just the weight gain it was lack of fitness generally. Boof could never be said to have had a very svelt frame yet he was always able to meet fitness requirements.
Fair enough if it affected his fitness or his on field condition though. But if it was simply the weight gain on its own then it's been very poorly handled and the people handling it must have some sort of agenda.

(I'm talking to the cop here) It's like being defected for not having enough water in your washer reservoirs. It's a very trivial thing, but it could perhaps be their way of getting to a bigger problem that may not be able to addressed on its own. If it's the attitude or something.

But he should do some sort of objective fitness test first.. If he can pass the requirements that Boofa passed, then why stand in his way?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's been a long term issue. The guy is renowned for not getting the message. SACA decided to stick the tack on his seat to give him a little bit of a fright. He needs it. Enough said.

Top_Cat

But he should do some sort of objective fitness test first.. If he can pass the requirements that Boofa passed, then why stand in his way?
This is the crux of the issue; he has done quite a few different tests and he couldn't pass them. He did Tests last year and didn't really do well, hence why he was dropped from the side. The articles we've read are the culmination of what's been coming for some time, not the beginning of it.

All that said, the treatment at the hands of the media and by SACA has been absolutely disgraceful.

Top_Cat

It's been a long term issue. The guy is renowned for not getting the message. SACA decided to stick the tack on his seat to give him a little bit of a fright. He needs it. Enough said.
Yup.

(good to see you back, by the way)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To play devil's advocate slightly, I remember three or four years ago the England management let it be known to the press that Freddie's weight was now more than Lennox Lewis's in what appeared to be a "name & shame" gambit similar to South Australia's with Cosgrove.

It hasn't seemed to have harmed Fred's confidence or performance too much. Might have even been the catalyst that turned him round, although that is perhaps streteching the point a bit. "Not bad for a fat lad", as I believe the great man said at the time. :)

Top_Cat

To play devil's advocate slightly, I remember three or four years ago the England management let it be known to the press that Freddie's weight was now more than Lennox Lewis's in what appeared to be a "name & shame" gambit similar to South Australia's with Cosgrove.

It hasn't seemed to have harmed Fred's confidence or performance too much. Might have even been the catalyst that turned him round, although that is perhaps streteching the point a bit. "Not bad for a fat lad", as I believe the great man said at the time.
I see what you're saying but I think in Freddie's case, it was more of a "We think you can potentially be great but you need improvement in areas x, y and z.". In Cossie's case, it's a "You suck and we have plenty of reasons why. Until you do what we say, you will continue to suck and we won't pick you or let you use our facilities." In SACA's defence, he has a history of 'not getting the message'.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cosgrove stuggled for form last year and was dropped by South Australia in a side struggling for batsman to perform so I'm pretty sure with that being the case that the SACA don't hold him in high regard at the moment. And if he has come back from England in worse physical condition for the pre-season his suspension seems justified.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He'll never play for Australia if that's what you mean.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
after he came back from this weight ban didn't he have the biggest purple patch of his career? surprised nobody made mention of that back in 05/06

pity he never played a test, always liked the bloke