• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best young Batsman in World Cricket today

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Welllllll..... with the sudden emergence of Pietersen to me its hard to decide who is the best established young batsman in cricket today amongst the likes of:

Note: Player must be minimun of 26 in 2005

Pietersen
Clarke
Sehwag
Bell
Sarwan
Gayle
H.Marshall
De Villiers
Yuvraj Singh
Kaif
Shoaib Malik

howardj

International Coach
KP - by a fair distance. To come into Test cricket, in your first series, and average over 50 (scoring three 50's and a century) while the greatest slow bowler of the modern era is creating chaos, was a magnificent performance. Furthermore, even when McGrath was fully fit and carving them up at Lords, KP still smacked 120 and was dismissed only once.

cameeel

International Captain
aussie said:
Welllllll..... with the sudden emergence of Pietersen to me its hard to decide who is the best established young batsman in cricket today amongst the likes of:

Note: Player must be minimun of 26 in 2005

Pietersen
Clarke
Sehwag
Bell
Sarwan
Gayle
H.Marshall
De Villiers
Yuvraj Singh
Kaif
Shoaib Malik
How old is Sehwag?

From that list i should say Clarke, lest i betray my country, but probably De Villiers and Sarwan on that list.

Gayle gets an honourable mention.

Why is Bell on that list? :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
King Penguin by a nose, followed by ABdV.
deVilliers looked class vs ENG & crashed a poor windies attack afterwards but surely blokes like Sehwag, Clarke, Sarwan are better than him.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
aussie said:
deVilliers looked class vs ENG & crashed a poor windies attack afterwards but surely blokes like Sehwag, Clarke, Sarwan are better than him.
Disagree, I think KP and ABdV are streets ahead of the rest.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Disagree, I think KP and ABdV are streets ahead of the rest.
I reckon you will eat your words on Devilliers after the SA series in Australia.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
normally u can tell a wether a cricketer is gona make it by there first tour to australia. i doubt that any more with australian cricket on the low patch that it is.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AB has superb technique and temperament and will be something special when he's properly settled into Tests. I've no doubt of that.

At the moment, though, Sehwag is the most complete player on this list. He's proven he can bat against quality bowling and score consistently big runs. That's enough for me.

Sarwan needs to check his shot selection.

Gayle needs to do the same. Moving his feet is not as necessary as shot selection IMO.

Clarke needs to learn to play the swinging ball (like the rest of Australia).

Pietersen needs to be more consistent, which he will do when he sorts out his shot selection.

Hamish Marshall - I haven't seen him play a Test innings live, so I won't comment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Got to echo the Sehwag comments, especially considering he's not an opener by trade really, but has done so well to adjust to fit into the side.