• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best young Batsman in World Cricket today

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Craig said:
Kaif is stuggling to get in then it suggests he isn't what they are looking for Test wise, or he is getting screwed around.
you don't score 3 consecutive half centuries against the best Aussie attack (and THAT is pretty good, lol) without talent. I think he will be a good solid middle order bat for India but he is currently standing out to accomodate a man who thinks he still belongs in the side when he actually doesn't.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
I read it that he menat that he didn't include them in his listing.
Fair enough then, I was just quite shocked to read that post when players like Sehwag and Sarwan were in the quote he replied too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
you don't score 3 consecutive half centuries against the best Aussie attack (and THAT is pretty good, lol) without talent. I think he will be a good solid middle order bat for India but he is currently standing out to accomodate a man who thinks he still belongs in the side when he actually doesn't.
Yeah you score very solid 50s at crucial stages (particularly the second test against Aus) and what is your reward? Dropped next series :huh:

I agree, I think he'll be a good middle order batsman for India in the future.

C_C

International Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Sehwag for me, but Pietersen will overtake him within the next year to 18 months.
Clearly a speculation.
One good series does not warrant obtusive praise, especially when that series is a first. Sehwag has done far more than Flintoff against all levels of bowlers.
8-)

C_C

International Captain
I think the criteria ( 26 years and younger) is a bit misleading - 26 is approaching the golden years of a person's career and i would say Best Young batsman should be no older than 24.

So all those who are just turned 24 or younger, i think the best batsman so far is Gayle.

C_C

International Captain
Jono said:
Yeah you score very solid 50s at crucial stages (particularly the second test against Aus) and what is your reward? Dropped next series :huh:

I agree, I think he'll be a good middle order batsman for India in the future.

I think Kaif got shafted in tests but i would go for Venugopal Rao over Kaif in test cricket.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Clearly a speculation.
One good series does not warrant obtusive praise, especially when that series is a first. Sehwag has done far more than Flintoff against all levels of bowlers.
8-)
Who said anything about Flintoff?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
C_C said:
Clearly a speculation.
8-)
I assume you mean Pietersen. And I didn't say that Pietersen was better, just that soon enough he would be - meaning after he has played against (and most probably taken apart) all types of bowling. i.e. in the next year to 18 months or so.

You just argue for the sake of arguing, don't you? Read what I say first. And everything on this thread is speculation, as regards who will be better in the future.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
whitedazzler said:
normally u can tell a wether a cricketer is gona make it by there first tour to australia. i doubt that any more with australian cricket on the low patch that it is.
why?, McGrath & Warne will be coming at him in their backyard doesn't get thougher for any youngster facing those 2 legends ask Ian Bell...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Protea said:
Where's Graeme Smith? He's only 24.
But he's the oldest 24-year-old in the history of cricket, so no-one thinks of him as "young".
Of course, he's better than the lot of them in this list IMO.

Blaze

Banned
Richard said:
But he's the oldest 24-year-old in the history of cricket, so no-one thinks of him as "young".
Of course, he's better than the lot of them in this list IMO.

Dan Vettori?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
Dan Vettori?
He looked like a student till he was 24, I'll give you that, but he never got the chance to appear ahead of his years the way Graeme has.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So it'd have nothing to do with people thinging players like Sehwag are better then, it's all about his nationality 8-)
Not about nationalistic bias, about the very obvious fact that NZ matches are rarely televised Worldwide except in the home country of the opposition.
And so no-one has seen much of Marshall (other than NZers) and of course that affects people's judgement.

Blaze

Banned
^ he has sort of crashed lately anyway. Had a great series against AUS but played very poorly in Zimbabwe. Hopefully he has a good summer.

PY

International Coach
Richard said:
How on Earth is Sarwan better than De Villiers?
Key words there is in no particular order I reckon.

From what I believe, young players are people who are young in years but also in experience. Therefore IMO, Sehwag, Gayle, Sarwan, Smith etc don't count because they've been around for quite some time.

I'm more impressed with AB De Villiers than Pietersen to be honest at this moment in time and I reckon Clarke has a lot to offer as well. Reckon my order would be De Villiers by a nose ahead of Pietersen and Clarke equal. I think Clarke copped too much stick over the Ashes where he looked the best consistent bat for Australia after Langer.