• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Roger Twose- how'd england miss him?

Kimbo

International Debutant
This is quite random, but it just sprang to mind hearing marc and neil discuss who was most underrated in english cricket.
Roger Twose was a fantastic batsman for NZ who we has been greatly missed. How did England fail to see his talent...
or is there more to the story?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm not sure on that one - he was one of my counties great players from the treble year, and certainly didn't lack confidence (he greeted Lara a week after his 375 with a note saying "Good luck to Warwickshire's second best left-hander).

I know he was wanting to move down (for what he perceived to be a better quality of life IIRC) to NZ after wintering there, so decided that he'd qualify for International Cricket with them, as he had no intention of leaving the Bears for Surrey.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
And the mystery still remains as to what actually caused Twose to retire so suddenly after he became a household favourite.

He was as popular as Chris Harris and always got into the act with the crowd, oh thats right he was also averaging 50 odd with the bat. His sudden fall from grace could be documented

Kimbo

International Debutant
I was on the terrace at Eden Park when he took that spectacular sprawling diving catch in front of us... he turned around and celebrated facing the terrace... I will never forget the catch, probably just cos its odd seeing a big fella like him taking an athletic diving catch :D