• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is there an ideal team balance?

archie mac

International Coach
Here is Brian Crowley's (SA historian) all time AR team, picked circa 1988

Sobers
Miller
Botham
Rhodes
Grace
Procter
Constantine
Faulkner
Vinoo Mankad
Noble

"Add Leslie Ames of England, the best-ever w/k batsman, and we have an 11 to beat any other, with batting order changes depending on the run of play and a variety of bowlers for every wicket and occasion".

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Here is Brian Crowley's (SA historian) all time AR team, picked circa 1988

Sobers
Miller
Botham
Rhodes
Grace
Procter
Constantine
Faulkner
Vinoo Mankad
Noble

"Add Leslie Ames of England, the best-ever w/k batsman, and we have an 11 to beat any other, with batting order changes depending on the run of play and a variety of bowlers for every wicket and occasion".
I have done this excercise many time in the last thirty years or more and probably come with slightly different side every time. Today it would be

Grace
Mankad
Sobers
Worrell
Ames
Miller
Proctor
Imran
Benaud
Hadlee
plus plus plus let me think of the best off spinning option :huh:

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
I have done this excercise many time in the last thirty years or more and probably come with slightly different side every time. Today it would be

Grace
Mankad
Sobers
Worrell
Ames
Miller
Proctor
Imran
Benaud
Hadlee
plus plus plus let me think of the best off spinning option :huh:
A couple of Aussies who never seem to receive a mention any more are Jack Gregory and George Giffen, both great A/R, though Giffen was said to be a poor captain, his idea of a bowling change was for him to swap ends.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:
Have Boucher and ratra bowled in tests ?

As for Manoj Prabhakar, yes he can open but then i would go with Vinoo Mankad without hesitation.

By the way, we all tend to forget WG Grace when thinking of all rounders who opened the batting, what a disgraceful slip !!

Shame on you SJS :@
Yes they have and they have test wickets to show for it. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
A couple of Aussies who never seem to receive a mention any more are Jack Gregory and George Giffen, both great A/R, though Giffen was said to be a poor captain, his idea of a bowling change was for him to swap ends.
I agree. I am a big fan of Jack Gregory's exploits. Many rate him alongwith Sobers and Miller as one of the three greatest all rounders of all time.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
in terms of modern allrounders heres 1

1 S Afridi
2 S Jayasuriya (c)
3 J Kallis
4 S Styris
5 T Dilshan
6 A Flintoff
7 A Symonds
8 T Taibu+
9 S Pollock
10 N Boje
11 C Vaas

its got ya left arm and right arm pace, ya off and leg spinner and a slow left arm

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He was not the 10th or 11th bowler to bowl like Lyttleton or Taibu.
Nor was Taibu. The sad state of the team meant that he was about the 3rd best bowler in the side, and he bowled 5th change.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
All Rounders I have seen playing live.

1. Jayasuriya
2. Gilchrist
3. Dexter
4. Sobers
5. Kallis
6. Botham
7. Imran
8. Kapil
9. Hadlee