• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does english domestic cricket work?

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
Sorry for the question but being quite new to cricket i cant really figure out that. So far i have followed international cricket only but when i browsed the bbc website in search for some english domestic news i saw lot of tables with team names repeated. Whats the difference between the county championship and the national league? Who gets relegated? What does the column at the end of the stats mean? How are points calculated?
If you can help me thanks a lot, even a good link would be useful if you dont want to write down an essay here lol,
thanks.

Langeveldt

Soutie
National league cricket is simply "One day cricket" with 40 overs a side, coloured kits etc..

The County Championship is similar to "Test Cricket" except it is played over four days instead of five..

Both leagues are seperate, but involve pretty much the same county teams

From next year, two teams face promotion and relegation

greg

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
National league cricket is simply "One day cricket" with 40 overs a side, coloured kits etc..
45 overs. National league has 4pts for a win 2pts for a tie/no result

County champs is 12 pts for a win, 4 for a draw (maybe 3 I can't remember), with 5 batting pts available in first innings (scoring 200,250,300,350,400 runs) and 3 bowling pts - taking 3,6,9 wickets. The pts have to be earned in a set no. of overs (perhaps 130?)

Pts can be deducted for poor pitch (standard 8pt penalty) and slow over rates.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
greg said:
Yes well it changes next year. Aren't they getting rid of the two division format as well?
Haven't heard anything about that, not sure. They are making some tweaks in a lot of areas though, so maybe.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Next year they're having the C&G trophy as 2 10 side regional divisions, including Scotland and Ireland, with either the winners or the top 2 from each group, I'm not sure, playing a final or semi-finals.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
greg said:
45 overs. National league has 4pts for a win 2pts for a tie/no result

County champs is 12 pts for a win, 4 for a draw (maybe 3 I can't remember), with 5 batting pts available in first innings (scoring 200,250,300,350,400 runs) and 3 bowling pts - taking 3,6,9 wickets. The pts have to be earned in a set no. of overs (perhaps 130?)

Pts can be deducted for poor pitch (standard 8pt penalty) and slow over rates.
14 for a win, 4 for a draw.

Teams in the County Championship and National League play each other home and away once each season - a bit like football leagues.

The normal separator if two teams have the same win-loss record in the Championship is bonus points - in fact, a team could very well beat another in the County Championship with a record of nine wins and one draw, if they scored nine more bonus points. However, because of the nature of drawn games, the teams drawing tend to score quite a lot of batting points, so the converse might occur (Warwickshire drew 11 of 16 games last season, yet won the Championship).

As for the National League, it's net run rate that counts - total amount of runs scored and conceded divided by total amount of overs bowled and faced.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
actually Sam, in the NL this season number of wins counted first, then Net RR.

from Next season each team only plays each other team in their league once(8 games) the national league will be played towards the end of the season - the C&G is changing to have a group stage.

Shoaib

Banned
cricnewbye said:
Whats the difference between the county championship and the national league? Who gets relegated? What does the column at the end of the stats mean? How are points calculated?
Play a cricket management game called International Cricket Captain and u would be able to know almost everything about English Domestic Cricket with that.

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
thanks a lot for your replies, the whole system its quite confusing...but thanks for your help i'd have never guessed all this stuff alone, very nice the aspect of team playing both on ODI and Test game durations.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well let's face it we'd never get anywhere in either form of the international games if we didn't have a domestic competition of the same form!
Anyway, next season's competitions become far more ludicrous, with the abolition of the knockout cup, too much Twenty20 Cup and a poorly organised National League (45 is better than 40 overs, and playing just one game per side per season is never going to be a fair way of doing things).
Why couldn't we just have kept the knockout cup in it's 2002 and 2003 format and amalgamated the Championship and National League, then continued to use the 2004 Twenty20 Cup format?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True, true.
Don't really feel there's any need for the :-O though - did you ever think I was gone for good?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
True, true.
Don't really feel there's any need for the :-O though - did you ever think I was gone for good?
No. But it comes as a shock nonetheless.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Umm... because you haven't been around in a long time so I didn't expect to see you posting right now. Don't worry, it's only a mild shock.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But I've been not-around-for-a-long time at least 4 times previously...
Oh, well, be shocked if you want. :)