• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

an old subject but

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
who are the ideal openers and team for nz in test and odis?

ODIS

fleming
astle
marshall
styris
cairns
mcmillan
oram
mccullum
vettori
mills
bond

supersub

harris

tests

papps
fleming
marshall
styris
astle
oram
mccullum
vettori
franklin
bond
martin

any1 got any thoughts please let me no

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
ODIs - Fleming and Astle.

Tests - Cumming and Hamish Marshall.

I think Hamish's technique would make him quite a good opener. Good back foot player and solid defence. Fleming would make a decent opener as well, but he has basically put his foot down now, demanding he play in the middle oder. Cumming has a few faults, but he has a dig and would just mind the spot while How, Ryder etc develop further.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
yea i wud luv 2 c players like jesse ryder and ross taylor get in2 the fold i also think luke woodcock has a lot of potiental 2 b the nxt jimmy adams

thierry henry

International Coach
I agree that James Marshall shouldn't be there. Unlike Hamish, James has a bad FC record cos he just isn't really that good, imo.

I also don't really agree with Fleming opening. I do think Papps deserves another go but beyond that I'm stumped. Papps and Cumming perhaps? However, that's really taking up 2 spots for 2 quite mediocre players, and leaving better bats out.

Also, I don't realistically see Lou Vincent missing out, coming off his recent double hundred and huge innings in the one-dayers v Zimbabwe. As much as I can't stand him.

tooextracool

International Coach
whitedazzler said:
who are the ideal openers and team for nz in test and odis?

ODIS

fleming
astle
marshall
styris
cairns
mcmillan
oram
mccullum
vettori
mills
bond
is there any particular reason why papps shouldnt be in the ODI side given that his record in ODIs is more impressive than tests?
ideally i'd like fleming to bat at 4 in tests and have papps open the batting in test matches as well.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
is there any particular reason why papps shouldnt be in the ODI side given that his record in ODIs is more impressive than tests?
ideally i'd like fleming to bat at 4 in tests and have papps open the batting in test matches as well.
I wouldn't read too much into his oneday record....he's only played a handful of games

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prince EWS said:
ODIs - Fleming and Astle.

Tests - Cumming and Hamish Marshall.

I think Hamish's technique would make him quite a good opener. Good back foot player and solid defence. Fleming would make a decent opener as well, but he has basically put his foot down now, demanding he play in the middle oder. Cumming has a few faults, but he has a dig and would just mind the spot while How, Ryder etc develop further.
Please not Cumming !!!