• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia Unde 19s--->First class cricketers?

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
Anybody have a rough idea of Aus Under 19s going on to play FC Cricket?

50%? I only know two people who have played Aus 19's...both haven't played FC cricket and are in their late 20's.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Well, from the 1999 U-19 World Cup squad...

MJ Clarke, NM Hauritz, EJM Cowan, CD Hartley, MG Johnson, SE Marsh, AB McDonald, PC Rofe, AW O'Brien and SR Watson have all played first class cricket.

MJ Baker, GC Batticciotto, LG Buchanan and TH Welsford haven't, as far as I know. Welsford's played one List-A game though, so might play more for Victoria in the future.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Well, from the 1999 U-19 World Cup squad...

MJ Clarke, NM Hauritz, EJM Cowan, CD Hartley, MG Johnson, SE Marsh, AB McDonald, PC Rofe, AW O'Brien and SR Watson have all played first class cricket.

MJ Baker, GC Batticciotto, LG Buchanan and TH Welsford haven't, as far as I know. Welsford's played one List-A game though, so might play more for Victoria in the future.

Buchanan and Welsford are very close to playing if they haven't played already.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would like to know how many players of the current under 19 squad of Australia (who are touring INdia, BTW) have played FC cricket?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I would like to know how many players of the current under 19 squad of Australia (who are touring INdia, BTW) have played FC cricket?
Yeah, none. Australian cricketers almost never play FC cricket before they turn 19 anyway.

Chubb

International Regular
A guy called Battichiotto played a few games for Essex IIs last year and is a overseas pro in the Shepard Neame Essex League. I know this because I was at Chelmsford during one of the IIs games he played in. It's almost certainly the same guy, don't see surnames like that very often.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, none. Australian cricketers almost never play FC cricket before they turn 19 anyway.
And yet we are having a close series with them and our team has almost 3 or 4 FC cricketers. That is why Australia is stronger than India, I guess.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
And yet we are having a close series with them and our team has almost 3 or 4 FC cricketers. That is why Australia is stronger than India, I guess.
India u-19 won 4-1. A few of the India u-19 have first class experience but its not that much...just 1 or 2 first class or list A games, which is pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.
Certainly None of them are first team regulars in their senior first class teams.

The fact that in India more domestic cricket is played than in Australia means that promising u-19 players are more likely to get a taste at first class level while they are still in their age group teams. Australia only have six domestic teams and their season is relatively short so their is immense competition for places.
I certainly believe at u-19 level, Indian players are more than a match for their Aussie counterparts -- however where Australia really stands out is their domestic comp - it is highly, highly competitive. The Pura Cup is the foundation for Australia's success at international level.