• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cant blame the world if they are laughing at us

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
- Signs of chaos in Calcutta (excuse my old fashioned spelling) at the BCCI meeting.
- RS Mahindra tries to adjourne the meeting sine die even before it starts to prevent elections having failed to get the two additional observers appointed by the court removed on the plea that "why do we need three observers for a 30 vote election" !! I dont know if the court answere three observers are slightly more difficult to "manipulate" than one .
- Pawar group refuses to budges "how can a meeting be adjourned before it is started " ??? and is waiting for courts observers still to arrive

Part full story-Indian cricket, R.I.P.

The ugly details continue to unfold back home even as i sadly punch on my laptop keys here in Manhattan. The stories keep changing as the situation developes faster than I can post the links.

Even this will be old news by the time I click the submit new thread button but we wont be able to stop the smiles, smirks, grins and sundry expressions of amusement from the faces of cricketers and fans around the world and a sense of complete despondency taking over the genuine cricket lover of India.

:wallbash: :crybaby: :no:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Chill out, it could be a lot worse.. You could be a West Indies/Zimbabwe/Bangladesh fan, or have your players picked for your team because of their skin colour..

One thing that really irks me with Indian cricket is the culture of one minute its the greatest thing ever, you sink to mid table and all hell breaks lose..

Although I'm not sure whats going on with this BCCI meeting, thats my two cents on the bigger picture..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Chill out, it could be a lot worse.. You could be a West Indies/Zimbabwe/Bangladesh fan, or have your players picked for your team because of their skin colour..

Sure it could be much worse. It always can be. Not sure if thats consolation always though

As for skin colour. Well sit in Indian cricketing circles and you will be surprised. It may not be skin colour but it is close and it does happen both in selection of state teams and less now (thank God) in the national side.

Langeveldt said:
One thing that really irks me with Indian cricket is the culture of one minute its the greatest thing ever, you sink to mid table and all hell breaks lose..
You are right in what you say but this is not about sinking to mid table. The spat between Chappell and Ganguly and whats happening is different and much more disgusting than merely not being good enough to beat the best.
Langeveldt said:
Although I'm not sure whats going on with this BCCI meeting,
Its too complex, in that case to explain to you and too long a story :D

The domestic troubles of others are invariably boring for neighbours and others except for the short juicy stuff.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The BCCI have always been a joke. I think it is an achievement that we are still able to put up a competitive side inspite of such an inept administration.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ranbir Singh, Dalmiya, others have their heads full of headache regarding the elections rather than the Ganguly-Chappell situation. Such is the sad situation.

Which is why I am thankful the Sunfeast Open WTA Tournament was so refreshing and reminded me what sport is again :)

Deja moo

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Ranbir Singh, Dalmiya, others have their heads full of headache regarding the elections rather than the Ganguly-Chappell situation. Such is the sad situation.
And not to mention that the fate of a captain and a coach is going to be decided on the basis of a report prepared by a "manager" who lost a whole bunch of players' passports, then claimed to the media that he had recovered them. Never mind that Harbhajan Singh had to later call the bluff and reveal that they werent recovered after all ;) . This is what happens when the BCCI appoints a new manager every tour just to satisfy all state associations one by one.

archie mac

International Coach
I don't think the rest of the Cricket World is laughing, it is just surprising that so much is disclosed to the general public. In Australia we usually have to wait for a 'tell all' book, about 2 years later.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sad state of affairs, no wonder BCCI and Indian cricket doesn't seem to have any leadership on the field and off it. Very Sad.

This stuff has been going on since last 2-3 years. Last year the way Sharad Pawar was ousted was not only unfair but utterly dishonest :-

"Other than the 30 affiliates, the chairman has a vote. In case of a tie, he also has a casting vote. With Maharashtra not voting, the state affiliates voted 15-14 in Pawar's favour. As chairman, Dalmiya voted to tie the score: 15-15. Then he exercised the casting vote to break the tie: 15-16. Mahendra had won.
Since Dalmiya is also president of the Cricket Association of Bengal and of the NCC, he actually had four votes of the 31 cast in the presidential election. This was doubly strange. "

http://content.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/219772.html

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What Indian cricket needs-
  1. Tearaway pace bowlers.
  2. Spinners who turn the ball rather than just drop it.
  3. All-rounders who can bowl decently fast, not more Adam Hollioake types.
  4. Outfields conducive to active fielding.
  5. A domestic limited-overs cricket series in conditions similar to international matches
  6. Promotion of domestic cricket, at the grounds and on TV
  7. Innovative strategies right down to school level.
  8. Media manager
  9. Co-ordinator with corporates
  10. Above all, encouragement of improved team performances and leadership at all levels.
What the BCCI is trying to do or get-
  1. Squabble on who shows international matches, then give it to slip-shod DD
  2. Squabble on elections.
  3. Squabble on who becomes manager.
  4. Squabble on playing/endorsing contracts
  5. Conduct 30-second meetings.
  6. Keep a watch on their political and legal careers.
  7. Luxury holidays in the guise of board meetings and other work.
Clearly, the two are going far apart.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Seems like the good folk of Calcutta are burning effigies of Chappel in the streets! (Irrespective of the fact that their dearest son is now a passenger in the national team)

Why would a good foreign coach want to go anywhere near Indian cricket? Is there more money in it than other coaching jobs?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Langeveldt said:
Seems like the good folk of Calcutta are burning effigies of Chappel in the streets! (Irrespective of the fact that their dearest son is now a passenger in the national team)

Why would a good foreign coach want to go anywhere near Indian cricket? Is there more money in it than other coaching jobs?
Actually, I think that is the case. I won't be surprised if Greg Chappell was the highest paid coach in the world.

shankar

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
It's not the 'good folk of Calcutta' doing the burning - It's a few idiot fan(atic)s of Ganguly.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Arjun said:
What Indian cricket needs-

1. There is a lot of stuff Indian cricket needs. The thing is if the National team is in such a state and the board election process is such a mess one can imagine how the Indian cricket really is over all.

There are so many associations and each one has its own share of mess no one knows about.

Indian cricket is a reflection of the politics of the country at large in fact.

The domestic matches give no money so neglect them. The poor do not have any money so they do not have much of a say like wise as they cannot bribe the officials. Thankfully the poor can still cast their vote in India - Indian cricket fans are thus in a worse state in this regard.

Deja moo

International Captain
Guess what ? The big boys couldnt have their 'elections', but they certainly had time to vote on increasing the share of revenue each test/Odi venue gets by almost 100%. And where is this revenue going to come from, may I ask ? You havent even allotted the television deal to anyone yet. *cough*votebankpolitics*cough*

Craig

World Traveller
At first I thought the PCB was at times farcial, but I think this levels it or beats it.