• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell Wants Ganguly Out - Emails BCCI.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FINALLY !!!! After so much drama,denials etc Chappell finally decides to stand up to BCCI and demands Ganguly's ouster. Finally the right people to approach. I hope BCCI takes the right decision this time. :)

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/613558

Chappell wants Ganguly out

India's cricket coach Greg Chappell believes Sourav Ganguly is no longer fit to lead the side and has threatened to quit if the captain is not changed, an Indian cricket board source told AFP on Friday.

Chappell, the former Australian captain and batting great who took charge of the Indian team in June, sent an e-mail to the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) saying Ganguly did not deserve a place in the team either, the source said.

"Chappell has told the BCCI that he will find it difficult to continue if Ganguly is retained as captain," said the source who has seen the e-mail from Zimbabwe.

"The coach believes Ganguly is not physically or mentally fit to lead and had lost the respect of the younger players in the team."

BCCI president Ranbir Singh Mahendra confirmed he had received Chappell's mail, but declined to reveal its contents on the pretext it was a confidential report.

Chappell's missive came a day after India routed lowly Zimbabwe 2-0 to record their first test series win outside the sub-continent since 1986 when they beat England.

The victory took Ganguly's record as India's most successful test captain to 21 wins, seven more than second-placed Mohammad Azharuddin's tally of 14.

Both Chappell and Ganguly were flying back from Zimbabwe on Friday and were unavailable for comment.

Relations between Chappell and Ganguly soured ahead of the first test against Zimbabwe at Bulawayo last week when it was revealed the coach had asked the captain to step down because of his poor batting form.

Ganguly responded by carving out a painstaking six-hour century against the weakest attack in cricket and then revealed the dressing-room discussion with the coach to the media.

Chappell issued a hand-written statement ahead of the second test in Harare, saying his efforts to motivate Ganguly had been misinterpreted as a call for the batsman to stand down as captain.
"It is disappointing that what was a private discussion between the captain and myself has become a cause of public speculation," Chappell said.

"It was a frank discussion about Indian cricket, present and future, and much of what I said was aimed at motivating Sourav for the test.

"In that regard our exchange was beneficial."

Gangulys 101 at Bulawayo was his first international century since the 144 against Australia at Brisbane in November 2003.

After the revelations, newspapers splashed staged pictures of Chappell and Ganguly playing pool in the team hotel and greeting each other with a warm handshake before practice at the Harare sports club.

The BCCI, which is holding its elections in Kolkata on Friday, has called for a meeting next Tuesday to review the Indian team's performance this season and the Chappell-Ganguly spat.

India lost two one-day finals against Sri Lanka and New Zealand over the last two months before blanking a weak Zimbabwe in the test series.

India are scheduled play test series against Sri Lanka, Pakistan, England and the West Indies, and a minimum of 33 one-dayers from October-end to July.

Shounak

Banned
It's better then him holding it in and hating Ganguly.. Best that it's all out in the open.. The cards are on the table..

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
shounak said:
It's better then him holding it in and hating Ganguly.. Best that it's all out in the open.. The cards are on the table..
But it's not supposed to be "out in the open" - it was a leaked document. Though Chappell probably realised that any written correspondence was likely to be leaked, anyway.

howardj

International Coach
My take on Ganguly is that he is not worth the trouble. It's not as though he is a great player. I think they should get rid of him. The doyen of primmadonas.

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
"Efforts to motivate him"

Hmm, by telling him he should stand down?
Like some have said previously - there's no real problem with getting rid of Ganguly - he's been asking for it for some time.

But Chappell has handled all this fairly poorly, IMO. This bulldust about his comments being intended to "motivate" Ganguly come across as dishonest and hollow. I hope for his sake that he is able to maintain the respect of the rest of the players, or he won't last long.

Shounak

Banned
By out in the open, I didn't mean public.. I meant his official stance towards Ganguly, through the eyes of the BCCI.

It's no longer just a little chat. GC officially wants Ganguly out..

With personalities like theirs, it's seriously the best possible situation..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ganguly brought it all in the open first by talking to the media. Chappell, on the leak of the current email has said he is not surprised. So he is prepared to face up which is very much like Chappell.

Deja moo

International Captain
Interesting that this should be leaked out thus. If its the Board doing the leaking, thats no surprise. If its Chappell doing the leaking intentionally ( as is being suggested by a couple of news channels), thats poor on his part, although unlikely.

Deja moo

International Captain
Pratyush said:
What are the hype machine Indian news channels saying?
According to Aaj Tak, apparently the Kolkata media believes that Chappell is out to tarnish Gangulys reputation, and hence has intentionally leaked this mail :laugh:

Last edited:

Shounak

Banned
Hating may result if someone like GC holds his feelings towards Ganguly in like diarrhoea.. But I don't think the current situation's based on hatred though..

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But Chappell has handled all this fairly poorly, IMO. This bulldust about his comments being intended to "motivate" Ganguly come across as dishonest and hollow. I hope for his sake that he is able to maintain the respect of the rest of the players, or he won't last long.
Yes but Chappell only said that in response to people asking him about it. Ganguly was the one who leaked that conversation to the press. Had Ganguly kept mum, this whole issue would have remained in private which is exactly where it should be. None of us know the actual content, context, tone, etc. of the original conversation. For all we know, Chappell might have meant something else and Ganguly took it as asking him to stand down. Or maybe he has asked him to step down; who knows? All I'm hearing at the moment is a bunch of 3rd-hand opinions about what was in Chappell's email and very little from the guys themselves.

Aside from that, Chappell's probably right; Ganguly hasn't done anywhere near enough for some time to justify his place in the side as a batsman and the team hasn't done well enough to justify it as a captain either. It's time he went.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The fact that Ganguly leaked the information which he should have taken to the BCCI if he felt he was being hard done by makes Ganguly the person at fault.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be a make or break situation for the Indian team? Unfortunately, if Ganguly stays, this won't be a "make" situation. :( And it sucks because he has been such an important person in Indian cricket history and has done so much for INdia. But not everyone gets to go out in their own terms.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
Yes but Chappell only said that in response to people asking him about it. Ganguly was the one who leaked that conversation to the press. Had Ganguly kept mum, this whole issue would have remained in private which is exactly where it should be.
Well, none of this impacts on how plausible it is that Chappell really meant to motivate Ganguly by his comments - which he's publicly acknowledged that he made.

But beyond this, I think Chappell is being let off too easily in some quarters. Which is the point some on this forum are trying to make - very few of whom (if any) are actually implying in any way that a) Ganguly is in the right or b) that Ganguly even belongs in the team.

I guess in some ways it comes down to what you think is required of a coach. Many with knives out for Ganguly (and I don't have a problem with that, in of itself) seem to relish the fact that Chappell took Sourav on, and hope that this will result in Ganguly being ejected from the team. But I would have thought the job of the coach is to get the best out of the players selected, and I would have thought it simpler that if Ganguly wasn't considered to be in India's best lineup, this point could have been best made at the selection table.

Either way, the disjoint between Chappell's public proclamations as to how much he respects Ganguly and the leaks of his private conversations/correspondence where he clearly doesn't think the same has to speak something of Chappell. I find it hard to see that he's handled this whole affair very competently - which is not to excuse Ganguly's conduct whatsoever (it seems almost impossible to get this across so far, though).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
The fact that Ganguly leaked the information which he should have taken to the BCCI if he felt he was being hard done by makes Ganguly the person at fault.
Ganguly even said on TV watched by the entire world as gavaskar presented him with the momento on becoming the Indian to lead in most tests that he wasnt sure if it was his last as captain.

He again suggested in another televised interview that their were those who were telling him he shouldnt be there. He clearly was very upset at what happened between him and Chappell but he was clearly wrong to be so poor at putting a cover on it in public.

You can defend Ganguly if you are a member of Ganguly Fan Club from Calcutta who have taken to the streets and demonstrated outside the hotel where BCCI meeting was to be held or if you have some unexplained and pathological dislike for Chappell but if you can think straight there is no way to defend Ganguly in the mess Team India is in.