• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne - Disrepute accusation

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
As a follower(albeit mostly from a distance)of Kent County Cricket Club for many years I would like to echo the "Bringing the game into disrepute" accusations made by Shane Warne over the farcical ending to the County Championship season.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Any action that allows Notts any advantage in gaining a trophy should be frowned upon, I'm with Warney too.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It does seem that Kent just capitualted and it denied Hampshire a shot at the title which would have given Warne a slight conolation and it would have given the season a great end. Still i think Hampshire will win it next year but im not sure Warne will be there to help them

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't see what Kent have done wrong here?

They had to win to have any chance, so had to take up any challenge.

Had Australia been set 420 in 70 overs at the Oval and got all out for 200 whilst chasing it, would they have been criticised?

howardj

International Coach
Pothas said:
It does seem that Kent just capitualted and it denied Hampshire a shot at the title which would have given Warne a slight conolation and it would have given the season a great end. Still i think Hampshire will win it next year but im not sure Warne will be there to help them
But he has a contract for next year.

Pothas

howardj said:
But he has a contract for next year.
That is true and i fully hope that he does come back but there has been a lot of talk about him wanting to see more of his kids which has made me a little worried

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
I don't see what Kent have done wrong here?

They had to win to have any chance, so had to take up any challenge.

Had Australia been set 420 in 70 overs at the Oval and got all out for 200 whilst chasing it, would they have been criticised?
Yea but to collaborate with the other team and still end up with a massively unlikely target like that...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i agree with hollywood Kent could never had chaced that target plus they should have known hampshire had a chance of winning the CC so i find that very strange no doubt....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Last game of the Championship season for Kent, who needed a victory and then other results to go for them in order to win the title. Opponents were Nottinghamshire, who needed a win against Kent to avoid everything going to the wire against Hampshire this week.

Result was declaration bowling from Kent on Day four, Nottinghamshire making sure they couldn't lose by extending their lead past 400, and then Kent going down in the runchase.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Yea but to collaborate with the other team and still end up with a massively unlikely target like that...
Nottinghamshire held the upper hand - they didn't "have" to set anything (a bit like England didn't have to set anything, and so batted just about all day)

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
A lot of really strong talk from senior ozzies,not in the side but retired.
They are pushing for a better points system to games,not sure how they want it to work but they want
like say 2 ponts extra for getting to 400 runs or 300 runs,and 3 points for bowling a side out etc etc,they say that will stop this draw will suit both teams,mentality,they have not sold me on it but the sheffield shield with the new points sytem is sure fire winner as it promotes a result.
I reckon that Aus having for the last 5 years or more setting a cracking pace of 4 and 5 per over in tests enabled them to win games they would normally have drawn.
England have now followed on to do the same ,and although it sounds easy to do ,it is in fact very brave to try it but when mastered it brings the results. Hense the great series eng V Aus as they both played for a result and even when wickets tumbled for both teams they did not fall back into old habbits. I am not sure if the other countries can at this stage do the 4 and 5 runs an over and have the confidence to stick tith it when things go bad. How great would test matches the world over be if all teams attacked? For the last few years we heard a lot of critisism of Aust,ppl were saying they were detroying the game and rules should be put in place to holt their dominance,but this proved stupid as all it needed was another team to rise to the standard aust,had set.England done this and now we have all witnessed perhaps the greatest series on record. They now deserve all the credit they get for not only playing aust ,head on but beating them at their own game.How good will cricket be when other teams now have to rise even more to challenge this england side?Guess who the winner in all this will be? Us ,the cricket lovers of the world. Exciting times are ahead and how big will this next test series in Aus be for the ashes,?huge,had the Aussies won the ashes against Eng this time it might have been dealt a blow that maybe it could not have recovered from.
ps IMHO they should do away with the 20/20 games at test level,sure keepit at senior club level but i think the test players are above this form of smash and giggle, just an opinion but having watched the tests then looking back at 20/20 do we really need it at that level for entertainment? it is no skill but lots of luck and is heavely stacked against the bowlers>?anyone?

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
Nottinghamshire held the upper hand - they didn't "have" to set anything (a bit like England didn't have to set anything, and so batted just about all day)
No it wasn't a bit like that at all, if Nottinghamshire had drawn the game they'd have been leading by 12.50 points - a win is 14 points, so basically if Hampshire had performed reasonable well in the first innings and ended up beating Notts they'd have won the title. Nottingham had just as much to gain here as Kent by setting a target. Next week Kent will be selling their ground for some magic beans.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, Nottinghamshire had the upper hand - they had Kent 237/5 chasing 486.

Why should they set anything easy to get when they've got that position, I mean Kent were still 100 short of the follow-on target.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The match was heading for a draw and the captains got together to agree a target. This happens fairly regularly(although not as often as it used to). But the target will usually be a realistic one, 420 off 70 overs was a win/win situation for Notts. If they won they were Champions, if they drew Kent were out of the title race. In my opinion it was desrespectful to Hampshire and diluted the achievement of Notts. I don't blame Notts at all, but as a Kent fan I would have expected them to value the integrity of the game more.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lillian Thomson said:
As a follower(albeit mostly from a distance)of Kent County Cricket Club for many years I would like to echo the "Bringing the game into disrepute" accusations made by Shane Warne over the farcical ending to the County Championship season.
Come on, I saw the title of the thread and thought "here we go. Another *** scandal." You have disappointed me. :(

Kidding. :)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
This is just crazy. Kent weren't intentionally trying to lose and so by gifting Notts the title! What's it matter to them who wins besides themselves. Therefore they had to go for it and Notts bowled them out. Nottinghamshire won the game and so deserve the points, Kent may have made a mistake but it wasn't intentionally robbing Hampshire of the title. That's just stupid

Build a bridge, Warney.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Kent captain David Fulton has resigned, and many people think that the abuse he took over his handling of the Notts affair had much to do with his decision.