• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Langerveld, and SA fans (All the billions of you!) this one's for you"

Dean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ehup,

Interesting to hear your thoughs about the Titans, I fullt agree with you, the Titains will walk the title this year, but watch out for the Egales and Dolphins.... Pity I can't get too enthusiastic about my local team, The Lions, but, hey, you never know!

I know what a big Donald fan you are, and it was so cool to see him play in those benefit matches, he's lost a yeard or two worth's pace, but is still effective....

We really need Zulu back in the ODI squad. The slower balls he was bowling during these matches were REALLY good, and his batting hasn't lost it either. Lets get him in there against New Zealand and India, and if he doesn't pull through, fair deal, but imagine Kemp, Prince, Klusner and Boucher as 5,6,7! :wacko:

Why is it that South Africa are so under rated!? Geoff Boycott was on Extra Cover on Tuesday night, and completely underated the South Africans... He forgets how South Africa dominated England over the past 50 years! Okay, so that's a bit of an exaguration, but I still believe that the reason the Ashes was so close and the Test Series in South Africa earlier this year, is because England are inconsistant and always gives the oppositiion a chance.... Can you ever remember Australia doiong that in the past decade??? NO...

I will suppourt one Boycott comment on Extra Cover: Australia arrived in England as number One, and Left England as Number Two... Fair deal.

Your thoughts

Swervy

International Captain
Dean said:
Why is it that South Africa are so under rated!? Geoff Boycott was on Extra Cover on Tuesday night, and completely underated the South Africans... He forgets how South Africa dominated England over the past 50 years! Okay, so that's a bit of an exaguration, but I still believe that the reason the Ashes was so close and the Test Series in South Africa earlier this year, is because England are inconsistant and always gives the oppositiion a chance.... Can you ever remember Australia doiong that in the past decade??? NO...
maybe because this England arent as good as those Australia teams of the past decade????!!!!!

The reason the Ashes were so close, is because both teams are evenly matched and very good teams..bit unfair to say it was close because England are inconsistant.

Regarding the SA series, I do think its tough for teams to win in SA, and England pretty much for most of the series were the better team and 2-1 to England flatters SA a tad

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dean said:
We really need Zulu back in the ODI squad
Point. Why was he dropped at all? Given his ODI stats as well as his impact in any game, as a berserk hitter and steady medium-pacer, he'd fit into any dominating ODI side, and he's a better bet than the likes of Hall and Morkel. Or is he just too old?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Arjun said:
Point. Why was he dropped at all? Given his ODI stats as well as his impact in any game, as a berserk hitter and steady medium-pacer, he'd fit into any dominating ODI side, and he's a better bet than the likes of Hall and Morkel. Or is he just too old?
"damaging influence in the dressing room" or some such nonsense.

Slow Love™

International Captain
This might be completely off-base, but weren't their some rumors of friction between those in the SAF team who were real Cronje devotees, and Klusener? And there were those strange comments Smith gave about him in England (I think it was when they were touring England, anyway)...

While his form did fluctuate a bit, I still thought there was a place for him in that ODI team - I had wondered if politics didn't play a part in things.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Not sure why Zulu was dropped, probably some BS surrounding his dressing room presence, but the fact remains that he is the most destructive hitter in SA cricket right now.. I'd like to see AAD when Im in SA, I think he is still working with the Eagles, not sure though..

Im trying to make some of the SA games, possibly the warmup SAA v NZ in Potch but im not sure if I can get transport..

I don't think SA are under rated, I was absolutely gutted with our performance against England last season in the test match series, theres a lot of work to do..

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
South Africa's main problem right now is their bowlers. Can a strong attack capable of taking 20 wickets vs any team any where consitently be formed?

It is much tougher to get that combination for subcontinent but they are even struggling for matches other than the sub continent to make that bowling attack which has been a major problem thus far.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
They have got the right raw material, but they have to get their planning right.

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dean said:
Ehup,

Interesting to hear your thoughs about the Titans, I fullt agree with you, the Titains will walk the title this year, but watch out for the Egales and Dolphins.... Pity I can't get too enthusiastic about my local team, The Lions, but, hey, you never know!
Try supporting the Warriors...the only thing they ever win are Pro20 games 8-)

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
Not only did Zulu have problems with Smith, (who doesn't like him), but Klusener was apparently the first one of the team to blow the whistle on Hansie. Since then it seems as if he's been a bit ostracised. (That's about the time his trouble seems to have started.)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
jot1 said:
Not only did Zulu have problems with Smith, (who doesn't like him), but Klusener was apparently the first one of the team to blow the whistle on Hansie. Since then it seems as if he's been a bit ostracised. (That's about the time his trouble seems to have started.)
I really doubt if Zulu is one of those players who would allow personal bickerings to get the better of him, but whistleblowers often have it tough- what they do is right, but they'll get in trouble.

A few say he was dropped because of his slump in form in SL, but that was just one bad series! Or was it because of Kemp? Klusener has achieved far more than Kemp has so far, with the bat, and he's a more accomplished ODI bowler too. And he's a lot better than Hall.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So, it is not just in India were politics plays a part in a players' selection. Good, I needed a little boost today.

Craig

World Traveller
From what I read Smith never met or played with Cronje so you can't say then Smith was Cronje's mate, unless he is bending over backwards for the likes of Gibbs and Boucher etc.?

Anyway from what I read Klusener has never been a team man anyway, so much as he is talented is it really worth having somebody who isn't a team man and get himself off side with everybody else?

One thing I will say though is reading about Klusener is that his upbringing is completely different to everybody else (didn't go to the flashy schools and didn't learn English until 16 or so), so maybe that might be a factor as well.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
One thing I will say though is reading about Klusener is that his upbringing is completely different to everybody else (didn't go to the flashy schools and didn't learn English until 16 or so), so maybe that might be a factor as well.
Well he's called Zulu for a reason I guess, I think he grew up in a very backward area of Natal, played with Zulu kids and could speak it fluently at an early age, certainly not your average van der Merwe, so that could have been a factor