• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Freddie claims he was shot at in Delhi....

PY

International Coach
Yeah, I can't believe he was asked to play something like that down and India were able to get away with it completely it seems. If that happened in England, there'd be hell to pay I'd bet and we'd face sanctions from the ICC.

Though it has to be said, the pellet probably bounced off a 2002 version of Freddie. :p

Craig

World Traveller
Why the hell is anybody even allowed to bring any sort of firearm in? Do they not check?

If not, it wouldn't stop any militant strapping some explosives to himself and setting them off?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So we're expected to believe that a player was shot at with a pellet gun and, at the very least, play was not stopped until the offending weapon was removed. 8-)

Scaly piscine

social said:
So we're expected to believe that a player was shot at with a pellet gun and, at the very least, play was not stopped until the offending weapon was removed. 8-)
Seems pretty certain if you read the whole article, not advisable calling Flintoff a liar either.

greg

International Debutant
social said:
Good luck with removing a pellet gun from somewhere within an Indian crowd :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Shame he didn't kick up a fuss about the incident.. Mind you, maybe he knew nothing would have been done about it anyway, so who cares?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
with it coming to attention now are any harsh regulations likely to be imposed on the upcoming series there ? surely cant play a test in front of an empty stadium, but then if there is a danger to the players then no other alternative i can think of would keep them safe.

social

Scaly piscine said:
Seems pretty certain if you read the whole article, not advisable calling Flintoff a liar either.
You're kidding me arent you?

Players staying on the field whilst being shot at with a pellet gun = Flintoff dumbest human being ever or story greatest load of tripe ever.

greg

International Debutant
social said:
You're kidding me arent you?

Players staying on the field whilst being shot at with a pellet gun = Flintoff dumbest human being ever or story greatest load of tripe ever.
Well it does seem surprising that we didn't hear of it at the time considering the security concerns that surrounded that tour. However on the other point one might consider the effect on an Indian crowd of refusing to stay on the field in the middle of a game where the Indians had a very good chance of winning (they lost by 3 runs).

Scaly piscine

greg said:
Well it does seem surprising that we didn't hear of it at the time considering the security concerns that surrounded that tour. However on the other point one might consider the effect on an Indian crowd of refusing to stay on the field in the middle of a game where the Indians had a very good chance of winning (they lost by 3 runs).
No it's not surprising at all that we didn't hear of it, a certain country picking at the seam when they were playing England was equally well swept under the carpet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Absolutely pathetic if that is true, its a shame stuff like this happens.

However, explain to me how this is pro-Asian bias by the ICC if the England board didn't make a big deal out of it?

I swear some of you guys... Jesus its amazing.

Shounak

Banned
As if someone like Nass would just sit back and allow that to occur. I'm sure more of a fuss would've been kicked up.

And the English board wanted to hush it too?

Doesn't seem to add up. I'm not saying it didn't happen. Just not exactly how big Freddy described it..

(19 stone, jeeez)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
This whole incident is shocking to be honest, I really can't believe something like this would happen. And Gillespie was moaning about English crowds! :blink:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i find these claims a bit strange in all the convo's i've had with the man he's never mentioned that, ah well maybe its true....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Hahahah, What next That he was run over by an elephant in Kolkata or bitten by a cobra in Kanpur and he survived all that. :laugh:

Let me guess, it has nothing to do with cheap publicity he will get for his book, does it ??

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Sanz said:
Hahahah, What next That he was run over by an elephant in Kolkata or bitten by a cobra in Kanpur and he survived all that. :laugh:

Let me guess, it has nothing to do with cheap publicity he will get for his book, does it ??
He said he was hit by pellets, not bullets. He's not claiming to be bulletproof.

And do you really think someone as honest and generally decent as Flintoff would be so crass and opportunistic as to lie, and compromise his integrity for the sake of his book sales? I can't name another character in sport I think would be less interested in how many copies of his life story he sold.