• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martyn dropped from test squad

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
true about Katich being a normal top-order bat but i dunno i'm just feeling a bit uncomfortable with him batting at 4 in the super test at least, i say give Hodge a go... & also MaCgilla could well & play but i've heard that in October the balls swings a bit at the SCG so well see what happens.

If it does there's only going to be one winner and it ain't the Ashes also-rans.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
If it does there's only going to be one winner and it ain't the Ashes also-rans.
I don't see why really. Assuming the World XI picks Pollock, Shoaib and Flintoff as their seamers, if there's swing around I'd say it would help McGrath and Lee just as much.

What Australia don't particularly want is a flat pitch that turns as the game goes on, because Murali and Kumble will have a field day.

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't see why really. Assuming the World XI picks Pollock, Shoaib and Flintoff as their seamers, if there's swing around I'd say it would help McGrath and Lee just as much.

What Australia don't particularly want is a flat pitch that turns as the game goes on, because Murali and Kumble will have a field day.
Kumble?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
Whoops. Murali. :D

That actually changes the issue somewhat... I somehow forgot he wasn't playing, and with the high chance of Macgill playing a turner might be nice. A fairly lively early-season wicket is likely though, and I don't think we'll be seeing a six day test.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

FaaipDeOiad said:
That's what most of you Aussies had been saying all through the Ashes, when will you realise that Lee wastes swinging conditions in Tests and McGrath is a seam bowler when it comes to Tests - he took zero wickets with swing in the Ashes.

Scaly piscine

Actually the zero wickets is not strictly true, in the first Test his grubber ball to Flintoff was missing the stumps but the seam straightened after pitching and it swung in enough to hit the stumps.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
That's what most of you Aussies had been saying all through the Ashes, when will you realise that Lee wastes swinging conditions in Tests and McGrath is a seam bowler when it comes to Tests - he took zero wickets with swing in the Ashes.
He took 8 for 30 odd against Pakistan with swing last summer. And he took wickets in the ODIs with swing, as you may recall. He's primarily a seam bowler obviously, but if the ball is swinging he can take an advantage from that as well, particularly recently as he has improved his swing bowling, both conventional and reverse. It's fairly likely that the wicket will be seam-friendly anyway, while the swing will depend more on the weather. Early-season in Sydney usually swings when it's overcast as Nathan "seven for four" Bracken can tell you. What the weather will be like is anyones guess.

Scaly piscine

FaaipDeOiad said:
He took 8 for 30 odd against Pakistan with swing last summer. And he took wickets in the ODIs with swing, as you may recall.
Except most of those 8 weren't beaten by swing and it doesn't alter the fact that he didn't take a wicket with swing (other than the fluke) in the Ashes. Also I clearly stated Tests because virtually everyone swings the white ball and takes wickets with it (and so it doesn't bear much relation to what happens in the 6-day Test).

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Except most of those 8 weren't beaten by swing and it doesn't alter the fact that he didn't take a wicket with swing (other than the fluke) in the Ashes. Also I clearly stated Tests because virtually everyone swings the white ball and takes wickets with it (and so it doesn't bear much relation to what happens in the 6-day Test).
He played one test fully fit in the Ashes, and there was virtually no swing around in that game anyway. The point, such as there is, is that when conditions are helpful for swing, McGrath can swing the ball and take wickets with it. Examples of when he has done so recently are the Pakistan game at Perth (and yes, most of those wickets involved movement in the air, and McGrath even commented afterwards that he'd adjusted his action slightly to help with swing and it was the best spell of swing bowling he'd ever bowled), and for reverse swing, Christchurch against New Zealand where he took six for next to nothing once the ball started to go the other way. He's obviously not a swing bowler, but he can indeed bowl swing, in tests, and has done so in the past, and whether or not he has done it in his last three tests really isn't the point.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Look at his record in the subcontinent - some superb efforts there.

A world class bowler doesn't need the excuse of conditions.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Look at his record in the subcontinent - some superb efforts there.

A world class bowler doesn't need the excuse of conditions.
well said marco, well then i refrase MacGill isn't World class but he's good...

greg

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
And in conditions that suit him, Giles is World Class.
I think that's pushing it a bit :p

Does a decent job for what England require of him.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
MacGill "world class" ?

Hmmm.
Maybe he isn't world class but he certainly isn't as bad as you make him out to be (I ask you for the umpteeth time when was the last time you saw him bowl in a Test match).

I mean he is a different type of spinner compared to Warne, he's an attacking bowler - prepared to give away a few runs for wickets, so he's a strike bowler, so that is why he is selected.

(IMO he comes in for far too much stick on this site)

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
But that only seems to be when he's bowling with 3 very good economical bowlers...
As I said he is a strike bowler, so if another bowler is keeping it tight, it allows him to attack one end and in the hope of getting some wickets.

It is a bit like Giles, his role is the opposite, it is to defend and hold up an end (and obviously to grab a wicket or 5) and allow the likes of Jones, Harmison etc. to attack at the other end and grab some wickets when the batsman is tied down and is looking for runs.

Is it me or do I find a simple way os viewing cricket and not over complicating things?

greg

International Debutant
Craig said:
As I said he is a strike bowler, so if another bowler is keeping it tight, it allows him to attack one end and in the hope of getting some wickets.

It is a bit like Giles, his role is the opposite, it is to defend and hold up an end (and obviously to grab a wicket or 5) and allow the likes of Jones, Harmison etc. to attack at the other end and grab some wickets when the batsman is tied down and is looking for runs.

Is it me or do I find a simple way os viewing cricket and not over complicating things?
Quite right. He and Giles are one-dimensional bowlers offering different things (and you can argue about how well they do their respective jobs). As we discussed a few weeks ago what marks out truely world class (and in their case Great) bowlers like McGrath and Warne is that they do both and more.